Instinct 2 Solar energy saving mode clock bug

Hello,

I own an Instinct 2 Solar since Friday, everything is fine apart from two strange bugs. I'm using the energy saving mode and the 24 hour time display.

My watch seems to have problems when the time changes from 9 am to 10 am. The picture attached was taken at 10:01 am.

Furthermore when it turns 6 pm, it still displays 5 pm but counts the following hours correctly, e.g. when it's 9 pm, it displays 8 pm.

Once I open any menu and return to the main view, the time is displayed correctly again. However, that's not a solution for me, if it happens twice every day.

Anyone else experienced any similar behaviour?

Kind regards

Christoph

• Thanks for testing.

For someone like me, who wanted to use the watch in energy saving mode constantly it sadly is an issue. At the end of the day I expect a watch to display the time correctly.  

Thats why I followed the instructions from the support chat who sent me a mail which I replied to with all the requested information including a written instruction plus a video. Based on this mail they opened a ticket and I was told that the issue was forwarded to the development team in the US. As already written, after about a week the reply was that only my watch is defective and they offer a replacement free of cost.

Which naively led me to the conclusion that there won't be a fix ...

• For someone like me, who wanted to use the watch in energy saving mode constantly it sadly is an issue. At the end of the day I expect a watch to display the time correctly.  

When it happens, all you need to do, is pressing the Back button to refresh the screen and have the correct time. And as I wrote, to get it fixed, report it to the developers, and clearly tell them how they can easily simulate the bug. Apparently you failed to make them clear they can test it quickly and easily, otherwise they would not waste money and time with sending you a new watch.

• I know that pressing the back button is a workaround, I actually wrote that in my first post, but thats a workaround not a fix.

I think I made it clear in this thread how to reproduce the issue and thats how I described it to the support and thats how I described it in the mail based on which the support opened a ticket. A written instruction and a video should be enough for the developers to reproduce it, I assume. I really can't explain it in a more simple way.

The support got the relpy from the developers, so they already checked it.

• And what do you expect that we can do about it? Unfortunately it is not something the user forum can help you with. Either speak to the Support again, or report it to the developers, or get another watch model, or stop being obsessed with it. Sorry, I do not have any better advice for you.

• As written above, I only wanted to know if it's only my watch or if it's a more common software issue. Support says it's only my watch and developers say it aswell (though I can only assume the latter), but it's clearly not.

And yes, I told the support about the other cases.

I don't expect any advice, I am just glad for you and the others testing it and getting back to me.

• OK, I see. BTW, the problem occurs also between 19:59 and 20:00, if you use the 24hr mode. Other transitions like 8:59-9:00 or 20:59-21:00 work without any issue. So there is a bug when both hour digits change in the same time. You should perhaps tell it to the Support too, to facilitate them the localization of the bug.

• For what it's worth, on my watch the hour number also fails to change going from 1600 (4pm) to 1700 (5pm) on occasion. It doesn't have the weird artefact in the 10s number place as it does going from 9am to 10am, but the hour number simply stays on 16 well into the 17th hour. So this seems to happen for at least 3 different times of day. I have not noticed the problem going from 1900 to 2000 as Trux noted.

It makes me think though, does this also occur if the hours format is set to 12hr rather than 24 hour? I will change to 12 hour format for a few days and see what happens. It's not a major issue for me but I'm adding to the knowledge of this issue. 

• Reply from Garmin:

"We are sorry that you have had repeated problems with the Instinct 2. We would definitely like to rectify the error by replacing the watch for you. It is very unfortunate that you have now received a faulty watch again."

Note: again no answer if they are working on a fix and they obviously still think it's just my watch(es). I have now referred them three times to this thread.

Just returned the second watch to Amazon, I'm out.

• @trux Do you hear yourself? Pay ca. 300 USD for clock and then work as a tester, because it doesn't work? C'mon, my doghters toy clock works better. I suggest to ask Garmin to get money back. I will check if my watch behavies the same and will report it to. On my instinct 2 I had situation when hour changed from 12:00:59 to 12:00:00 and then after minute from 12:00:59 to 12:02:00. I would list much more disadwantages of this watch. I wouldn't buy it second time. 

• @trux Do you hear yourself? Pay ca. 300 USD for clock and then work as a tester, because it doesn't work?

Fortunately my watch works fine. I've bought a smart watch and use it as such. I see no sense in buying a $300 smart watch and voluntarily turning it into a dumb watch by setting it permanently into the battery saving mode. I use it for the purpose it was designed for, and am quite happy with. Works without any glitches for me since a year, already.

However, I do not deny there is a bug in your setup, and should be fixed. As I already wrote several times in this thread, it would be much better reporting it in a proper, brief, and clear way directly to the developers on the beta forum, since the support person offering a replacement device apparently did not understand the issue at all. I recommend getting them on phone, and having them physically replicating the problem on an Instinct 2 by 1) Enabling the Battery Saver mode, 2) Turning the Time to the manual mode and setting the time to 9:59, 3) Waiting a minute - they will understand immediately that it is not a problem of your watch only. And I do not see how they could continue offering you a replacement watch, after such demonstration. If they do, ask that they pass you to their team leader, and repeat the replication of the problem with him/her. If a support person repeatedly sends a replacement watch for a clear bug, then it is not the watch that needs to be replaced.