Instinct 2 Solar energy saving mode clock bug

Hello,

I own an Instinct 2 Solar since Friday, everything is fine apart from two strange bugs. I'm using the energy saving mode and the 24 hour time display.

My watch seems to have problems when the time changes from 9 am to 10 am. The picture attached was taken at 10:01 am.

Furthermore when it turns 6 pm, it still displays 5 pm but counts the following hours correctly, e.g. when it's 9 pm, it displays 8 pm.

Once I open any menu and return to the main view, the time is displayed correctly again. However, that's not a solution for me, if it happens twice every day.

Anyone else experienced any similar behaviour?

Kind regards

Christoph

• Just got the response from Garmin. They think my watch is defective and offered me a replacement ... but I got a replacement from Amazon in the meantime and guess what? Same pixel erroras the last one  Nauseated face

• I used the chat feature on Garmin support website and was basically told not to use battery saver as the way to fix it. The support agent told me this:

"Battery saver isn't suppose to be used all the time but more of a feature when you are not going to be able to charge the device for awhile." 

• Great, then how will we achieve the promised unlimited battery life which was basically the only reason I bought this particular watch? A watch that can't display the time correctly by default and the manufacturer doesn't care to address it

I will definitely return mine.

• Tried it on mine and I don't have this bug.  It's probably something with your configuration and you should really do a deep documentation on it to see if Garmin can simulate it.  They typically like to follow this kind of stuff to replicate a bug.

• Which bug are you referring to – the wrong time or the missing pixels? Did you use the energy saving mode?

I had to new watches, updated both to 10.10, made a reset and a master reset as recommended by the Garmin support, but the missing pixels bug occurred on both of them every day at the same time using the energy saving mode. Sorry, I won’t order a third one to rule out it’s just a coincidence. Reported everything to Garmin, sent them all the files from the watch, which phone I’m using, made a video for them to see how the error occurs, etc. and the reply from the development team is just that my watch is defective and they would change it free of cost – no further information.

Taking all this into conclusion, I believe that the simply have no interest in fixing the bug as the model is already one year old and the succeeding model is on the market.

• "the model is already one year old and the succeeding model is on the market."

Lolllloll that's not a "succeeding " model.

• Well, then go on and please explain to me why you think that they will do anything concerning this problem when they at first requested all the information for the development team and after some days just reply that the watch is defective and offer a replacement?

I am happy the share Garmins reply once I got it.

And which bug are you referring to – the wrong time or the missing pixels colon problem? Did you use the energy saving mode?

• Well, then go on and please explain to me why you think that they will do anything concerning this problem

Is this like Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny where Bugs convinces Elmer to take his point of view?  I don't have to speak to your point.  It was asked if there were others that could test for this behavior, I did, and I don't have it.  You then made a baseless assertion about Garmin not fixing the watch because it's one year old when Garmin has never been on one year product cycles and is currently adding so many features that the I2s is one of their truly best watches for those who don't want frills or size.  Not only that, Garmin has been rolling out fixes, even recently, such as the ones I asked for last year regarding backlight and battery saver behavior.  I've seen in another case where a user was able to give a step by step to simulate a bug and Garmin found that actionable and fixed it.  Even this last update has fixes.

I'm not saying there's no bug, but your idea of why Garmin won't fix the watch because you think they're on one year product cycles and because you think the newer Instinct is a replacement when it's not, is laughable.  Garmin continues to add features and make fixes to the Instinct 2.

I actually want Garmin to find out what's behind your issue and fix it because a fix for you is a fix for all of us, even if we don't experience this with our configurations, but you look very uncooperative.

• If you think that getting in touch with the chat three times, every time describing the issue, doing every time what I was told to immediately afterwards and after being asked to answer a mail explaining the issue another time and providing all the information needed and even a video and pictures is “very uncooperative” then let’s just agree to disagree. In my opinion I did everything I could, what else could I have done? I’m not a sponsored athlete or beta tester, I’m a paying customer.

And sorry for making “baseless” assertions and being so naïve to think that there is no interest in fixing it when I specifically asked the support whether there will be a fix and get no answer but a replacement.

I am happy being proven wrong.  

• I just tested it - putting my I2 into the Battery Saver mode, and setting the time to 9:59. When the time changes to 10:00, the screen part with the digit 9 is indeed not being overwritten with 10, while the minutes part with "00" is slightly shifted to the right (to make place for the hypothetical "10:" that should appear on the left side. So, yes, I can confirm the artefact, and it is easily reproducible. I just do not understand all the fuss about it, since it happens once a day only if the battery saver is on, and all you need to do, is pressing the BACK button to get the screen refreshed. OK, it could be certainly fixed, but even if it never happens, I could not care less.

If you want to get it fixed, the best way is reporting it directly to the developers, since the Support staff is not really trained to solve problems that they have no scripts for. For reporting it to the developers, join the Beta Program, wait for the next Alpha or Beta release (because reports for the currently released version are over), and then report the issue on the Bug Report section of the Beta Program forum, carefully following instructions about how to report a bug, in order that developers care to read it at all. Unfortunately the bug forum is often abused for posting irrelevant nonsense, so improperly reported issues may get ignored. Be brief, accurate, and clear. Developers tend to be overstrained and have no time to read through long texts, trying to figure out what they are about. Do not forget to describe the exact way how to reproduce the effect: 1) Enable Battery Saver mode, 2) Set time to 9:59, 3) Wait a minute