Pace Graph is not a smooth graph

I've been having this issue on two different Instinct 2 Solar watches now.  I returned the first one thinking it was defective and now the new on is having the same issue.  The first watch was the Instinct 2 Solar Surf.  The second watch is the Instinct 2 Solar Tactical.  Oddly, the first few activities were fine and then one day, this happens.  Can someone explain why?  This coorelates with when monitoring speed, I would occasionally see the speed register 0.0 mph which is not the case.  Thinking two watches can't be problematic...so is it the software?

• Hi,

I see the exact same issue with my watch. I see the same graph when I do SUP activities, but have smooth pace graphs when running, hiking, cycling etc.

I can see that the problem started back mid July, and have been persistent ever since. I have been trying to gather data on GPS condition, pace and so on. But the issues just seems to be there in all conditions. I was looking at firmware versions, and could see that I was on version 8.64 when the issue started. But I also have a few good logs on that FW version from before the issues appeared.

I never thought of looking into the HRM-Pro. I was not aware it could adjust the pace detection like that. But I can see that the firmware in the HRM-Pro was updated from version 8.1 to 8.8 on the exact day where I started seeing the issue with pace reading when doing SUP activities.

I will try the same fix and se if it will produce nicer pace readings.

• That's Awesome 2 from 2 hopefully it sorted itself out stoked it helped you aswell paddling lives matter haha.

• because the GPS data is normally used only if it is truly accurate (accuracy level 4), and it is not necessary to override it with the less accurate accelerometer data. It is only necessary when it falls back to the indoors mode due to a worse signal.

Hey, , how do you know about the accuracy level? I suppose the watch would switch to internal sensors only, when GPS signal is bad, but where did you get the information about level 4? I don't recall seeing it in the manual...

• It is not in the manual. I wrote a diagnostic tool in CIQ for analyzing this type of situations. I can read the accuracy level with it, besides others.

• You can see a sample output from the tool on the attached screenshot - the accuracy graph is overlied with pace. The graph is zoomed to a section with a GPS signal drop due to an underpass. Most of the time the accuracy is at the top level 4, but when the accuracy level drops (in this case to the level 1), you can clearly see the watch switches from the GPS-based velocity calculation to the indoor mode, using the accelerometer. In this case I was using a well calibrated HRM-Pro, hence the difference is not that big as it would be w/o the strap - Instinct 2 has no gyro, hence the indoor pace estimates are way off, most of the time, resulting in a quite strong underreporting of the distance (and speed/pace).

• JoyJoyJoy And all this talk about defaulting into indoor mode because of poor gps signal. Like I’m paddle indoors.  Wtf? If I had performed system validation and encountered this…it would never been released. FAIL. JoyJoyJoy thanks again. 

• And all this talk about defaulting into indoor mode because of poor gps signal. Like I’m paddle indoors.  Wtf?

Well, if you have set up the HRM-Pro to provide the pace data always, then it will do it regardless of the GPS accuracy. That option should be avoided like a pest, that's for sure. If you keep it on the option to provide the pace data only in the indoors mode, then when doing an outdoor activity, it will provide the data only when the GPS accuracy drops.