Pace Graph is not a smooth graph

I've been having this issue on two different Instinct 2 Solar watches now.  I returned the first one thinking it was defective and now the new on is having the same issue.  The first watch was the Instinct 2 Solar Surf.  The second watch is the Instinct 2 Solar Tactical.  Oddly, the first few activities were fine and then one day, this happens.  Can someone explain why?  This coorelates with when monitoring speed, I would occasionally see the speed register 0.0 mph which is not the case.  Thinking two watches can't be problematic...so is it the software?

• This is the 3rd Instinct now and this problem has not gone away. No matter what I do to “soak” gps connection, this is unacceptable. There’s no such thing with “soaking” with the 910xt or the Viviactive3. None of my friends who have other Garmin need to “soak”. Bizzare.  I thought I was in error. Clearly it’s not consistent.  Besides. Where are the instructions to properly “soak”. Why didn’t you design it so that you’re not able to start until fully “soaked”. I call *** and returning my Instinct 2 Solar

• Are you using the garmin pro heart rate monitor? 

• Yes. But I don’t think that’s the issue. There was one day when I forgot the HRM and the result was showing speed drops to zero. 

• I had the exact same problem as an outrigger paddler myself i use the kayak app.

On your next paddle wear your HRM then on your watch menu go to sensors & accessories find your heart rate monitor pro go into settings of the heart rate monitor and find HRM Pace & Distance go into that and turn off Pace and turn off Distance and turn off auto calibrate.

It worked for me and have never had an issue since. 

• THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS TIP!  Finally.  Someone is listening (err reading). It’s been very gusty out here so I can’t wait to give this a try. I did some research on the HRM Pro Pace and Distance feature to try and understand how or why what I’m seeing is happening.  I wonder…if I disconnect my HRM Pro and use the wrist HRM…what would happen?

• I did some research on the HRM Pro Pace and Distance feature to try and understand how or why what I’m seeing is happening.  I wonder…if I disconnect my HRM Pro and use the wrist HRM…what would happen?

As I explained already earlier in this thread, the watch only calculates the pace and distance from the GPS coordinates, when the GPS accuracy level is excellent (accuracy level 4). For anything below that level, the watch instantly switches to the "indoor" mode, using either the internal accelerometer & gyroscope or the external ones in the HRM-Pro, for the velocity estimation.

And since Instinct 2 does not have any gyroscope, only the accelerometer, the watch can guess the speed practically only using the cadence, so it will greatly depend on the way you paddle.

In contrary, the HRM-Pro has both the accelerometer and the gyro, and additionally its motion in the space (being worn on the chest), is practically linear, unlike as at the watch worn on the wrist, where it permanently moves in all possible directions and angles. Both of it makes the pace & distance estimates much more accurate when using the HRM-Pro. A good calibration is necessary, though too.

• Thanks Trux, But again, you’re not reading correctly because do you realize what you’re saying is contrary to what is happening?  First, you said it greatly on the way I paddle.  I showed you several results that had “good” graphs and “bad” graphs. My paddling habit is the same in all of them. Second, Tiza is saying to disable the HRM Pro Pace and Distance and the issue went away. You’re saying the HRM Pro is suppose to in improve it.  In all my instances, the HRM Pro was enabled.   

I will be on the water again tomorrow.  Can’t wait to see what happens  if it fails, I’ll call the instinct 2 junk and go back to my 910xt.

• Tiza is saying to disable the HRM Pro Pace and Distance and the issue went away. You’re saying the HRM Pro is suppose to in improve it.

HRM-Pro improves it, if it is properly calibrated, as I wrote. The problem is that it you do also some running with the strap, it will calibrate with your running, and will then deliver wrong pace data to the watch at SUP. The best would be calibrating it at SUP, then turning off the calibration when done, and keeping the pace & distance option in the "indoors" mode only. Generally, using the HRM-Pro in the mode "always" makes no sense, because the GPS data is normally used only if it is truly accurate (accuracy level 4), and it is not necessary to override it with the less accurate accelerometer data. It is only necessary when it falls back to the indoors mode due to a worse signal.

•  I showed you several results that had “good” graphs and “bad” graphs

Of course, there are good and bad graphs. First of all, the watch will switch to the accelerometer data only when the accuracy drops below the level 4 (unless you have set the HRM-Pro to deliver the data "always"). That will happen much easier for example when you start with an expired ephemeris data, or too soon, without waiting for the GPS lock. Then, it depends how well the watch, or the HRM are calibrated, and whether they were calibrated during SUP, or during a run.

• Gone are the days of plug and play.  Lol. Will be experimenting a lot tomorrow. Makes a lot of sense now. Thanks