This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Instinct 2S Solar crashing randomly

Hi,

yesterday my watch crashed during trail running and then couple of minutes after the activity. The latest crash was last night and I lost sleep data. Is this software or hardware issue?

BR,

Janne

• Here we go again...

I just came back from what was supposed to be my best 5K run... until the I2S (8.66 APAC - wearing HRM Dual - Race an Activity) kept crashing on me. Continuously. Impossible to resume the activity after the reboot, I was stuck in an infinite crash loop. So, no running data was saved for me today. 

I just cannot rely on it anymore and be sure to have my data saved at the end of my run. It is quite baffling to see a commercialized product with many critical software issues like these. Did I also mention the morning crash after waking up?
    I remember DCR's review mentioning repeating crashes at launch, seems like nothing changed since then. Thumbsup

• Update. 4 days and I just had it crash and wipe data for a bike ride again..... It triggered right as I pressed save exercise..
    If only there was a crash log or something to send at least or check myself..

• Maybe the debug folder would help? Think it got created right after my watch rebooted after wiping all the data..

GarminDebug.zip

• I did that months ago. Nobody from Garmin responded. I have received my Garmin back from the warranty. They can not fix the problem because it's in the software. I call my watch now: Garmin Instinct Cyberpunk. 

• Sad that's it been like this for so long.. Frowning2

• Has anyone tried to restart the watch (reboot) every morning and also wiping all history after syncing on a daily basis, or in my case after every exercise or health snapshot? Also disabled trueUP thing since it synced all my history to the watch and I want a clean history.

So far I haven't had a crash yet after my last post, but we'll see if this works after a week total or longer.

Hopefully I didn't jinx myself. x_x;

I'll keep updating and troubleshooting for a band-aid fix at least. ^^

• Honestly, I am not so sure a watch at that price is worth so much effort from the user. The device should be working for you... or ideally Garmin's QA. 
    On my side, I have done a watch reset last weekend and so far no crash yet with a couple of activities in between (haven't done a long run yet though). 

• Not crashing thank goodness but twice had an issue during pool lap swims - "auto stop & save" - which is NOT desired! FW = 8.66

Today for the second time my Instict 2 Solar stopped recording during a pool lap swim (this never happens with bicycling or running activities).

After 300 metres/12 laps I looked at the device and was surprised to see the watch face - not the swim data that I expected.

I started a new swim activity and that recorded fine, and the first 12 laps with respective data were also saved - so only 2 laps were "lost".

As the start/stop button does not protrude it is unlikely that it was accidentally pressed.

And unlike the problem others have had, there was no crash - just a weird "auto stop & save".

Another odd detail was that although it had recorded 12 laps, it totalled the distance at 150 metres, which I could edit on Garmin Connect without any unwanted impact on the performance calculations.

So, I wonder, is anyone else experiencing these "auto stop & save" issues during lap swimming? 

• My APAC Instinct 2 solar V8.66 worked quite well about 2 weeks after I removing the NFC transportation card from my watch. 

• I agree, but bugs happen, so hopefully they can fix this one,soon.^^ 5th day now Ithink,and so far no crash with my method, which makes me wonder if there's some problem with running out of memory, even thought that shouldn't be an issue since the .fit files aren't that big anyway..