This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Instinct 2 Solar (Tactical) "Washed Out" Display: Anyone else having this problem w/their display?

T

The GI2 (on right) is much more "washed out" and closer to purple when compared to the original's vibrant blue (on left); both are backlit to 100%. Moreover, the viewing angle on the GI2 is simply terrible... clearly, the new "domed" PowerGlass does not add one of the primary advantages of having a domed crystal which is improving the visibility at acute angles (especially underwater) by mitigating light reflectiveness. I'm not impressed at all. As opposed to the original solar models, the new GI2s have a "full" solar panel behind the display, so this may be the cause of both the tint and viewing discrepancies; I've contacted Garmin support and am waiting for some explanation... hopefully it is just that I may have a defective watch (which can then be replaced by Garmin).  Also, much as I appreciate the improved display resolution of 176x176 (which does make the text look crisper), they've taken advantage of that to make the overall text smaller in order to fit more data displayed on the screen size; that's all well and good, but it does make it more of a strain for legibility... not all of us have a 25 y/o sight. As usual, Garmin did incorporate a font size setting; I've provided them with that feedback and feature suggestion, so hopefully they will add that in a future update.  Has anyone else noticed this issue? 

• How would the glass cause it to be clear from one side and not the other? It's clearly some sort of polarisation issue on the LCD panel. 

Unless they have applied a polarisation filter to the glass itself which I doubt very much as then you'd have issues viewing it in daylight.

• Christ, some of them watches look absolutely terrible compared to the one next to it and the backlight strength variance, wow!

• I believed they did add a filter to the glass itself. I could be wrong though.

• Honestly, if they don't adress it in a satisfactory manner I am glad that I have 3 years warranty and will return it (as i absolutely see it as a manufacturing error), reverting back to my IG1.

• Why is there no official Garmin comment on this issue? They are clearly browsing the forums and answering reports on minor issues such as music control not working etc, but on this issue with multiple threads on the forum there is nothing from them. Seems very odd.

• On 02/18 I spoke to Garmin Product Support and provided pictures, a detailed explanation of the issues, and possible causes to the same; the rep forwarded everything to their product engineering team (for the Instinct 2 series). On 02/22 the rep emailed me back with the following response (from the engineering team):

"...the Instinct 2 uses a different display than the original Instinct, so the backlight may have a different hue and won't have as steep of a viewing angle."  

So, yeah... that was basically it.  I immediately responded by advising that I believed it possible that my particular watch defective (because it was simply unreadable with the backlight on and at not so steep of an angle), and requested to RMA the device; I didn't receive a response.  On 02/24, after getting more feedback from users on my Reddit post, I called product support a second time, and ironically spoke with the same rep [Zach] - whom was very helpful, courteous, and knowledgeable with the product - and once again I provided the latest info/possible cause to the issue: it seems that it may be that the polariization  screen (on the display) is oriented. I also mentioned that many others have posted to my Garmin Forums and Reddit threads complaining  of similar issues; in response he requested that I send him the links to both threads, and advised that he would forward the polarization concern, well as the thread posts/responses as supporting info, again to the engineering team.  I also informed him that if indeed that was a possible cause, I would like to exchange the watch with one from a later production run, or RMA it if/when the issue is addressed;  I am currently waiting to hear what he finds out, and what the solution may be.

To clarify on why some of us believe it to be a mistake with the polarization screen orientation: if you invert the watch 180° the problem with the viewing angle goes away... even with the backlight on.   Yes, that does not affect the brightness of the backlight, or the hue of the display when lit (both may very well be of intended design and features of the new hardware), but if the viewing angle/polarization issue is fixed then those other concerns would be mitigated... it wouldn't be as difficult to read the display.  Moreover, if they added a system font size setting in an update, it would help that much more (this was also suggested to product support during my initial call).  Lets hope they listen, post/respond on the forum with an update, and somehow help to resolve the issues.

• Lets hope they listen, post/respond on the forum with an update, and somehow help to resolve the issues.

Don't get your hopes up too high. I think it will not happen. There might be new batches with good displays in a few months.

If an answer comes, it will be the same one you have already received above :

emailed me back with the following response (from the engineering team):

"...the Instinct 2 uses a different display than the original Instinct, so the backlight may have a different hue and won't have as steep of a viewing angle."  

• Thanks for that update DevilFrog!

I've been eager to upgrade my og instinct but will wait untill they provide a comment, either confirming that this is an issue or that it is working as designed.

• Thanks for taking the lead on this. I was waiting until Monday to start my own call with product support but will wait to hear what they say back to you. I hope they will rectify this for users. I can't see this not being a manufacturer mistake.