This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

v9.37: Fast Battery Drain

Just got the invite to install the latest patch. Lets see how this is doing. Did a hard restart as always but will only charge it to full tomorrow as it's late now. Share your experience here.

• The last time I plugged in my 7X Sapphire was September 21. It's still sitting at 38%.

So I'd probably get 40+ days if I ran it all the way down to 0%.

Typical settings - 5% backlight after sunset, bluetooth 24/7, 30-50 notifications per day, all-day HR, pulseox off... pretty normal settings overall. Not a ton of sunlight exposure, mostly indoors on most days.

Granted, it's been a less active month than usual for me, but that does include about 5 hours of dual-band gps activities during that time.

So the battery seems pretty darn good to me. At least on my watch. YMMV.

Edit: I just realized there's a new firmware that just dropped, and that's what you're referring to. I've been on 9.36 for the last month, and that's what my post was about. I don't think anyone can answer your question about 9.37 yet, since it literally just came out like a few minutes ago. It takes days to collect enough battery usage data to be able to answer that question intelligently.

• 9.37 popped up yesterday evening and I installed it and did the usual soft reset. The battery level was about 35%. This morning the watch was switched off. This has happened never before. I started the watch and the battery level was at 0%. Now the watch is charging.

I never had any battery drain issues before. So far, I'm not impressed by this release...

Edit (23 hours later): Back to normal and no further massive battery drain issue. Not sure why it happened the night before.

• I'm currently recharging as I could not do this last night when I got the update. Did a gps activity the previous night and charge went down to 76%. This morning, thus about 32hrs later was 62%. This doesn't look good at all, even for the 7s. Lets see what happens after a full charge and hard restart.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago

Garmin needs Gilfoyle.

• I noticed yesterday "increased battery drain after disconnect from a charger." and then I saw update to fix that. Nice. But, today in the morning GC was pushing update to my watch and after was done, no update pop up on the watch. Tried reboot, then to check update from the watch and got message that software is up to date even is still 9.36. Now reading here that battery life might get worse...

• Look in the System/Software update, it shows up there after download and needs to be manually triggered.

• I've had 9.37 installed since last night and have not noticed any better or worse battery life but I want to do a full charge before making any final judgements.  With 9.36 I was getting about 11% battery drain per day just using my 7 in watch mode (no GPS, activities, etc).  

• I know that, that's why I ended up checking for update from the watch. It was always like you said but not this time.

• Just came back from a 45 minuts run with my 7s SS. My gps hours went from 25 to 24hours, which is a massive improvement over losing about 3hrs during a similar run. I'm carefully hopeful the problem is fixed for me. Will charge my watch again fully tomorrow and write down day to day what the charge and GPS hour left. For now: thanks Garmin.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago

I’ve an Epix 2. Since 9.36 I’m losing between 3 to 4% battery every hour, without activities. I have all of the battery saving settings. I installed 9.37 today - done a soft reset and charged to 100%. I’m still losing the exact same battery each hour (3-4%). Can’t see any improvement.