Identify Garmin's Owner. Person is dead :(

Hello!

First of all excuse me, some details may be a bit too personal and explicit.

The story and the problem:
In Ukraine, during the war on the battlefield a soldier was found (about 1 year after his death). 
The only "identifiable" thing with him - was a garmin Fenix 6 Pro (SN 3362034190)
with him, and no other possible ID's.... no phone - nothing.....

We want to find relatives so they can have "killed in action" status for his son(brother or whatever) and some benefits with this status (of course nothing can replace human)
current status is "missing in action" and it gives nothing to his family. We want they can bury his relative with honor and just to know the truth.

The watch has no activities or records on it.

We(Me and some friends) tried to:
- add wifi to soldier's watch
- do some special activity on 2 watches (one is ours), 
- create special segment on Strava
 - We hoped for 2 users appear on the segment participants list (no success)
We tried to see emergency contacts - but it's empty.

It has only "settings.fit" with some info - 80kg weight 2m height and 1997 as a birth year

Few watchfaces and data fields in the APPS folder.
Local dealers says "bought somewhere else" and repair services (official and non officials) don't have any info for Serial Number.
I contacted Garmin also,
Maybe relatives still have access to his relative's e-mailbox - so Garmin can send email to owner's box, give my contacts to them, if they want to contact - they surely will do.
Any ideas more ????
PS: I even tried sniff wifi traffic  - of corse TLS encrypted and no user_id cookie inside request...
  • You wouldn't need the phone to see if it was ever paired with a phone.

If there was ever weather data, weather data is tied to a city or people just let the GPS tell Garmin exactly.

If there is Garmin Pay account it was tied to a Garmin Connect account at some point so Garmin knows who it is, especially with Pay it has to be linked.

Given all that Garmin definitely knows but won't tell anyone but authorities, it has to go through official channels.

• Hey guys!

UPDATE (small success):

I managed (somehow, still not sure how exactly did it) to transfer Garmin Pay card from solder's watch to my watch, and I reset my garmin pay password (Garmin watch and app asked to do so - due to files conflicts maybe)

I can see last 4 digits of the card. 

So any ideas how get full card number or full name ?

Maybe via refill-terminals or so ?

I tried NFC android reader - nothing, it shows just some technologies abbreviations and no data.

Can anyone confirm that physical stores can get buyer name or full card number after payment (

I will try so buy something very cheap and return it afterwards)

• Can you connect it to the phone and see who it will try to contact if you trigger the emergency call by holding the power button? 

• unfortunately emergency feature wasn't set

• If you buy something with this card, no matter how cheap, it will show up on the creditcard statement, if the card has not been cancelled. If his family sees that activity, that may be painful for them, or needlessly worry them about fraudulent use of the card. Maybe it is possible to cooperate with a sales person, to sonehow transmit a message with the payment, for instance a "product description" explaining why you are doing this and how to contact you?

• good idea, i will try. thanx!

I know nothing about how payments work under the hood, will ask first what we can do with salesaman

• Maybe it is possible to cooperate with a sales person, to sonehow transmit a message with the payment, for instance a "product description" explaining why you are doing this and how to contact you?

Or maybe by identifying the issuer of the credit 3 could contact the issuer, explain the situation and asking them to contact the card owner's family to explain the situation.

I appreciate that there are privacy considerations but this seems like an exceptional situation that requires some compassion and a bit of common sense.

• According to the provided ESN (Unit ID) the serial is:

63N506613
    fenix 6,Pro,Black w/Black Band,GPS Watch,EMEA
    Garmin Warranty Expired Date
    2022-05-02

If you are able to transfer tokenized card to another device, then you opened the highest priority security flaw. Need to contact support directly and ask them to raise a FQC.
    support.garmin.com/.../

The time device was seen GPS locaton is stored (actualy mirrored from the internal memory) in Garmin/garmindevice.xml file. See the tag <ifix>...</ifix>. This is how many seconds after the Garmin time epoch elapsed. (from 01.01.1990 0:00 ). Unfortunately, there is no open way to see first location coordinates, but I do believe Garmin stores it in internal EEPROM. At least nuvi 3597 has it in developer menu and coordinates were visible there. Not sure about developer menu in fenix 6, just try to open - Settings - System  - About - then press POWER button up to 10 times.

Best approach for you is desolder chipset as fast as possible, and dump the chipset memory to PC, then try to discover at least text records or previous files. There is a possibility to find FIT files inside the FAT32 structures that are on flash memory. Binary data for coordinates can also be there.

According to the Garmin Pay, device stores token for another virtual card, that is associated to the main customer bank account. In short, plastic card number is not stored there, just the last 4 digits are visible on the information pane. Device stores token, that is another virtual card. This number can be seen i.e. by Alpha-Bank app on Android device with NFC support, go to Платежи - По номеру карты - Укажите карту получателя - На другую карту - Сканировать NFC. Activate Garmin Pay card on your device, bring device nearby and you will see in App the full card number. Then you can check BIN for the bank and make special request via police or another structures according to the owner.

AFAIK, merchant does not read/cannot receive from the payment systems the cardholder name. I would not recommend make illegal payments, at least card can be blocked and bank will refuse to communicate regarding that case.

Next to Garmin: Garmin has GDPR policy and never ever say you any information according to the owner, email, contacts, etc. All you can do is to raise the case in police and ask them to fill in the form: www.garmin.com/.../