Suggested workout keeps suggesting Rest day

Since about 1.5 week, my Fenix 6 keeps suggesting rest day as the suggested workout. Even if my recovery is 0 hours, and my training load is low. Reading on the internet, it seems this is a bug related to a software update on Fenix 7 or Forerunner watches, however my watch hasn't seen an update in ages. Does anyone have an idea how I can get my suggested workouts back? I've tried rebooting the watch, that didn't help. I'm a bit reluctant to do a hard reset, as I would need to put all my settings back into the watch.

See:

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-7-series/354483/daily-suggest-workouts

https://www.reddit.com/r/Garmin/comments/18i9ffd/suggested_rest_day_for_the_foreseeable_future/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Garmin/comments/18ics1e/garmin_gave_up_on_me/

Top Replies

All Replies

• My Fenix 6x pro sapphire, has the same problem 10 days ago, and after recharge and the just restart the watch, now everything is ok with daily suggestion

• I had this same issue on my Epix gen 2 and the suggestion to update the long workout days fixed my problem. All days were checked and as soon as I unchecked them I started to see suggested workouts instead of 7 days of suggested rest. Thanks for the tip. 

• Haven’t used my F6 for a run for quite a while now so that’s probably why the memory’s a bit vague. 

• There are basically 2 suggestions in this thread:

• Reset the long workout day
    • Fully charge and power-cylce the watch

Neither of these suggestions worked for me. There is no long workout day setting on the fēnix 6 and charging/turning on/off didn't help for me.

I was finally able to resolve the issue by doing a factory reset on the watch, BUT this comes at a huge expense:

• You will lose your HRV status and need build a new baseline for 3 weeks
    • You will lose your training status and need to were the watch for two weeks with 2 outdoor runs per week to get your status back
      • Your training status needs to return back before you get any suggested workouts
    • Your maximum heart-rate will be reset and with that your heart-rate zones
    • Your lactate threshold will rest and with that any heart-rate zones based on threshold
    • Your records (PBs) like longest distance, fastest 5k, 10k etc. will be reset on the watch (but remain untouched on Connect)
    • You need to download any music again and link again with your music provider (e.g. Spotify)
    • You will loose all customisations to your datascreens
    • You will need to add/sort all your apps, widgets and shortcuts again
    • If you have any ConnectIQ apps or datafields, those will lose their settings as well.

For me personally my VO2max dropped by two units after the reset. Although I cannot be 100% sure this is linked to the reset, it is likely to be in part related to it, as max HR and threshold are taken into consideration for the VO2max estimate. My effective VO2max calculated on runalyze.com has also dropped a little bit over the last month, but not as much as the VO2max on my watch. So for now I keep it to a combination of factors that caused my VO2 Max to drop that much on my watch. The consequence of this is that now my suggested workouts are back, the tempo's suggested feel to slow for my fitness. Although I'm sure this will improve again over time.

In essence it means by doing a reset, there's a three week gap in your metrics. Now this isn't the end of the world of course, but I would consider this to be undesirable.

So for anybody else, I would recommend to first contact Garmin Support before you do a factory reset. I didn't do that in the end and regret that now... (although I'm not sure they would have been able to help)

• Did you ever get a solution Dr Bob? I’m now having the same problem with my Forerunner 745, which also has none of the options for solutions that keep coming up in these threads. It’s driving me crazy - I really love this feature when it works well.

• Resetting the watch did the trick for me. But I would first recommend to contact Garmin support. If that doesn’t help you may want to try manually removing the .fit-file that corresponds to the daily workouts from the watch. In any case leave a reset as your last resort, as you will spent three weeks building a new baseline before suggestions come back. 

• Thanks, I appreciate the advice! It’s been a frustrating few days of looking for options that don’t exist. I’ll try support and leave the reset for if they can’t help me.

• this problem occurs since a while. There is another post which talk about same issue. Garmin explained to be aware about the problem but the post has been locked mysteriously without technical solution ...

forums.garmin.com/.../1712412

• Same problem here: "This is a scheduled rest day" for the last 3 days, although i have a 5k in 3 weeks and a 10k in 10 weeks

V26.00 - Fenix 6

• I’m experiencing the same issue as mentioned here after a race last weekend.

My Fenix 7 Solar is suggesting 2 rest days and then workouts, but the 2 rest days keep moving forward. I cannot open the workout details for the first rest day, but can open it for the second rest day, if that helps investigating the issue