watch started showing ALL android notifications instead of selected apps from Garmin Connect settings

Hi,

Since about 2  months ago my Fenix 6 started showing ALL my phone notifications (Android Samsung S22) even though I had configured Garmin Connect to only notify about a few apps (Whatsapp, SMS, phone).

It used to work fine before 2 months ago.

In Garmin Connect on Android I go to: Settings -> Notifications -> App Notifications:

• Notification Access -> ON
  • All Applications -> OFF
  • I select a few apps from the list shown

I've tried enabling/disabling these settings, forcing sync many times (sync works fine), restarted the watch, the phone, etc.

Nothing works, the watch either shows ALL phone notifications or NO notifications if Notification Access is OFF. The app list seems to be completely ignored.

The watch firmware and the Garmin Connect version are both up to date.

Does anyone have the same problem? Maybe it's an issue with the Samsung Android version???

• Do you have Garmin Explore installed on your phone?

• Yes! I removed it then rebooted phone and watch to be sure and this seems to have fix it!

Thank you!

• What is with Garmin Explore?

Ive just found that I’m not getting any notifications on my f6x Pro now, I think since the 22.10 update. My watch syncs ok, shows that it’s connected but calls, messages, and other notifications aren’t coming through (from a Samsung A52s). I powered down both devices and did get a few notifications, but then they stopped again. Have tried numerous hard power downs on the Fenix, but that hasn’t helped.

edit: uninstalled Explore, notifications started working again

• It's a known bug when Garmin connect and explore are both installed.

• Thanks, strange, I’ve had Explore installed for maybe 18 months, I wonder why it had an issue now, an update perhaps.

• For me the problem happened a few weeks ago, I think following an update to the Explore app. I don't think the watch or any firmware is at fault.

I've owned fenix watches for many years and used Garmin Connect Mobile without a problem with notifications throughout that time. In April this year I installed Garmin Explore for a walking holiday. At first it was business as usual for notifications. A few weeks later (late May?) I received an unexpected notification on my phone about syncing with Explore. It was after that that my notifications stopped. I think the timing coincided with an Explore update.

Investigating showed that there were notifications settings within the Explore app, all turned off, but notifications were enabled in GCM. In my mind it was sufficient that one app would send notifications, but Explore broke the notifications from Connect. As I no longer needed Explore I was quite happy to delete it. Problem solved for me.

I do wish Garmin would test this stuff before rolling it out.