What do I have to do to score a VO2max or even an anaerobic training? (Rowingmachine)

Sprint intervals. I rowed hard and fast until reaching zone 5 then paddled down to zone 2. My HRmax is correctly set. I’m sure that a training like this would have been (at least) classified as VO2max last year. I got anaerobic points for this, however, classifying this training as a pace training feels … cheap.

Any ideas anyone?

• Does rowing support VO2Max?

I thought it was only for running and cycling with a power meter.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to 5135968

Does not support

• Generally speaking, a VO2Max effort will involve several minutes of sustained effort slightly above threshold. If they are looking to improve VO2Max in an athlete, most coaches will prescribed one of 2 approaches:

1. Sustained efforts of 2-3 minutes above threshold, followed by 3 minutes easy recovery, repeated 3-6 times.

or

2. Short 30 second efforts above threshold, followed by 15 seconds easy, repeated about 15 times or 10 minutes in total. The short recoveries allow the muscles to recover between efforts, but are short enough that a high level of oxygen throughput is maintained throughout. Your heart rate won't really drop much through these short recoveries - it should remain at or slightly above the boundary between zone 4 and zone 5 throughout.

The "peak and recover" type of efforts that you have posted are not really sustained enough to deliver significant VO2Max benefits, and that is likely why the watch hasn't classified it as VO2Max. But I note there is one effort at about the 25 minute mark in your workout that is more sustained - this is more the sort of effort you should be looking for. You can also see your breathing rate increase as this particular interval is sustained - this is good evidence of high oxygen usage during this effort, especially when compared with the rest of the workout.

As for classifying a workout as anaerobic, this requires short VERY HARD efforts. They should be as hard as you can for 15-30 seconds, followed by 3-6 minutes recovery, repeated 6-10 times. Because of the short effort, and the lag in HR, your HR might not even get to zone 5 before the effort is over. in classifying a workout as anaerobic, the algorithm is really looking at how rapid the increase in HR is, not at how high it gets.

Your workout has been classified as pace, as the efforts are not hard enough to be truly anaerobic, or sustained enough to be VO2Max.

• Hi MCalista!

Thank you very much for your insightful answer. I appreciate that you took the time and made the effort to help me on my way!

The distinction between anaerobic and VO2Max wasn’t clear to me until now. I will try both approaches, but not necessarily in the same week Sweat smile. During the effort around the 25th minute, I was looking at the watch to see what the anaerobic counter was doing and decided that it wasn’t worth the effort. I’m going to put that assumption to the test next weekend.

Again, my heartfelt thanks!

• That worked like a charm! Thanks again.

• I'm a little surprised it was classified as anaerobic, because they look like classic VO2Max intervals, But I'm glad you saw a positive response. Speaking of responses, you can really see your breathing rate increase towards the end of each interval, especially the 3rd interval. You were definitely working hard!!