"Up Ahead" Coming to Fenix 6? Or at least usable waypoints?

I was interested to see this feature on the Fenix 7 that provides you what Waypoints are up ahead: https://youtu.be/YGXNYjL1t00?t=354

There are two reasons this interests me:

1. The current waypoint system in the Fenix 6 is atrocious. The devices assume you want to see every turn by turn piece of information as waypoints and you can't delete the turns, so your "next waypoint" is a random turn 99% of the time.

2. It looks like this is a new data field, and some of those data fields are coming over to the Fenix 6.

Does anybody know if this feature is going to move over to the Fenix 6 or, at least, they will fix their waypoint system?

• Turn by turn itself is okay. What is not okay is how Garmin Connect is adding the navigation waypoints. Connect seems to decide on navigation waypoints only on the basis of curvature in the track, leading to the useless navigation prompts that you described. 

Other apps (locus map on Android for example) add navigation waypoints based on intersections on the map, which is far better than what Connect does. 

• Connect seems to decide on navigation waypoints only on the basis of curvature in the track,

Yes, I know that. And that is exactly why it is broken. That just doesn't work when navigating on many trails. There are cases when that doesn't work on a road either. 

• I spoke with Garmin support this morning about the inaccuracies of turn-by-turn in trail navigation.  He said that they are actively working on improvements to this, but that it is challenging.  He doesn't have an ETA  on when improvements will be made, but he did say it's something they're actively working on trying to address.

I also asked if they could make a user configurable setting which allowed the TBT alerts to be shortened (ex: display on screen for 4 seconds).  He said that this is being worked on, and will be coming soon.

Lastly, I asked when the course point options in Garmin Connect Web would be synced up with the mobile options (7 course point types on web vs. 30+ on mobile).  He said that update is coming in a couple weeks.

• That's a good news, thanks for sharing that Rick! Let's wait and see if they can make the system to work better.

• Thanks for sharing. Let's hope all of it makes it to our now 'old' Fenix 6.

• The amazing thing is that it is exactly because of such errors that GARMIN is putting its customers off switching to third-party providers to create and store their routes and leave their data there.
    Actually, it should be in GARMIN's interest to keep the customer on its own platform.

• Actually, it should be in GARMIN's interest to keep the customer on its own platform.

They are working on it, using their own wicked ways Slight smile To name a few I can remember stopping Garmin integration with Wahoo, preventing 2way sync with calorie logging apps with exception of MFP, not letting you log body data like fat and water contact if you don't have Garmin Smart Scale, or not having native sync with Google Health.

• Hey. There is a roundabout way to avoid turn by turn showing as the next waypoint.  Here is the step by step on how to do so.  Still annoying that you have to do this but at least helpful if you really want waypoints to show up on long runs or backpacking trips....https://youtu.be/4WpuYRVfYac

• Yes - this is definitely the best workaround currently available, and is what I use on my hikes.  It would just be nice if Garmin fixed the underlying functionality so that we could wirelessly transfer GPX files w/ waypoints to the watch without needing to do the .FIT file workaround via USB cable transfer.  I have had an open support ticket with Garmin on the topic for months now, so am keeping my fingers crossed that they use all my examples and information to help finally fix this.