"Up Ahead" Coming to Fenix 6? Or at least usable waypoints?

I was interested to see this feature on the Fenix 7 that provides you what Waypoints are up ahead: https://youtu.be/YGXNYjL1t00?t=354

There are two reasons this interests me:

1. The current waypoint system in the Fenix 6 is atrocious. The devices assume you want to see every turn by turn piece of information as waypoints and you can't delete the turns, so your "next waypoint" is a random turn 99% of the time.

2. It looks like this is a new data field, and some of those data fields are coming over to the Fenix 6.

Does anybody know if this feature is going to move over to the Fenix 6 or, at least, they will fix their waypoint system?

• I doubt it.

What's the point of difference with the F7 if they backport everything to the F6?

They didn't backport Body Battery to the F5 Plus etc etc.

• Well, they are backporting several features to the Fenix 6, and this is something that isn't just a "new feature," it's fixing an old, broken system.

• Yes and this wasn't listed as one ot the features to be backported, thus my "I doubt it"

• Exactly this. I was thinking about switching from Instinct to Fenix just because of this "feature". I mean as of now, the POIs system is useless on any other watch. I'm not interested in my next turn 90% of the time. And even just turning the navigation turns off requires me to go through creating the activity in a third party software and uploading it to the watch by a cable. "Up ahead" is a bug fix, not a feature. 

• I asked a support rep if they'd port this feature to other devices, and he said he doubted it. Most likely just for new devices going forward 

• In the past I was using Gpsies to draw my courses. It could also add waypoints to the route. When I downloaded the fit file from there and directly transfer to the watch it was working perfect. Maybe Garmin Connect is limied in some ways. 

• Gypsies works great... Plotaroute.com works perfectly for me too.... and no need to use Garmin for course making : -) 

• should we open a new treats on what Fenix 7 features will port to Fenix 6?

• should we open a new treats on what Fenix 7 features will port to Fenix 6?

Please don't. There is already one:

forums.garmin.com/.../fenix-7-features-to-be-released-on-the-fenix-6

• I would say turn-by-turn navigation, when following a course, is fairly broken in general. It might be OK when running or cycling on a road, but on trails is is laughably inadequate.

First, it generals too many false turns, sometimes showing turn notifications every 100 ft (30 meters) for every sharp bend of the course. That is quite likely on twisty trails even when there are no real trail junctions or anything like that. Second, it often misses real turns if they aren't sharp enough. For example it may tell you that your next turn is a right turn in half a mile when in fact the course goes left shortly and another trail continues straight. Third, sometimes it is outright misleading. I remember once seeing my watch telling me a right turn was coming shortly while in fact I needed to turn left - that is where the course went. What happened is that the trail itself had a sharp bend to the right which was followed by a trail junction where I needed to turn left. The watch warned me about the sharp bend right but not about the actual turn.

I don't know how would anyone consider the current implementation working correctly. It has been broken from day one.

And of course, as mentioned above, these injected turn-by-turn course points pretty much make user defined waypoints useless. First, user waypoints get lost among hundreds turn directions, so you don't see them coming. And second, if a user waypoint happens to be very close to a turn, then the watch seems to just skip it entirely. That seems to be a part of an "optimization" that prevents turns from showing up too close to each other.