Fenix 6s Sapphire: GPS troubles

This is the 4th run I've tracked so far and I run 275m track in laps, with some parts of the track under a tree cover.

ASICS Runkeeper app + Samsung GS 20+ tracks well but the Fenix 6s so far has failed pretty badly with 10-15% undercounting of distance/ pace.

Questions:

1. Does GPS/ Glonass/ Galileo accuracy improve with usage like it used to with my FR 310xt? (had terrible GPS in the beginning but improved over weeks of usage)

2. Is the Running Dynamics Pod causing accuracy issues? 

3. Can I get satellite constellation information on the Fenix 6s Sapphire? FR 310xt had nice graphs, bars to show you satellite data - # of sats, # sats locked, metres of accuracy etc.)

4. Accuracy with GPS + Glonass has been bad, GPS + Galileo has been mixed. Is GPS only advisable?

Other details: GPS 5.30, Software 19.20, CPE: Current | I had synced with Garmin Connect on my phone the previous night

• Thanks, I had been through that topic before - it mentions good accuracy which I am unable to see on mine.

Attached are the GPS tracking results - needless to say the squiggly one is from the Fenix 6s 

• I have selected "reject answer" for more help on whether I am doing something wrong - like not wearing the watch tight enough, or facing inwards, or arms aren't positioned properly or how long does one amble on the track for a good GPS soak etc.

Not that i don't appreciate your response/ help but my question is can I do something more to help this?

• The track has the shape of a pentagon with a side length of about 50-75m. This means a constantly change of direction. In addition, the watch on the wrist is constantly moving back and forth while running. As can be seen that after every corner the F6 oversteers the direction and needs a certain distance to stabilize. At running speed, I don't think it's possible to follow that course with the F6 as accurately as a phone with a stronger antenna.

So the only way to improve GPS reception is to wear the watch with the watch face pointing mostly possible to the sky. But I'm not that optimistic in this case.

• Thanks for the response.

Surprisingly managed to bring out the variation in total distance/ pace values to an acceptable 5% last evening althought the GPS plots were still squiggly. Besides being a different part of a day (morning vs. evening), did a 'course' wallking first (perhaps got a good 'soak') and had forgotten my RD pod.

Will try tinkering with those along with having a more stable arm form while running and see if they work. Somehow i'm hoping my Fenix 'learns' to do better like my 310xt did...

• Do you have Data Recording set to Every Second?

MENU > System > Data Recording > Every Second

When was the last time you connected to your computer via USB cable and sync'd using Garmin Express?  The Garmin Express sync will update the CPE data file which should enhance GPS performance.

HTH

• Thanks for responding. Yes it is set to 'every second' & CPE data shows "current", I do sync with Garmin Connect on my phone every 24 - 36 hours via bluetooth but haven't done it with Garmin Express yet. I would try that too but if it's already 'current' not sure if there's much to update.

• I would try that too but if it's already 'current' not sure if there's much to update.

CPE status is not a digital state - i.e. it's not ALL GOOD when status is "Current" and not ALL BAD when status is "Expired."

Syncing with Garmin Connect only partially updates the CPE data, but syncing with Garmin Express completely updates the CPE data.

I would strongly suggest syncing with Garmin Express on your PC - after all, what could it hurt?

HTH

• Thanks for the follow up. I was skeptical but did act on your advice. I have now synced using Garmin Express. Besides updates to maps of 5 regions that I don't live in - no obvious updates as such but I'm assuming CPE data & other things have been refreshed in the background.

• Thanks for the follow up. I was skeptical but did act on your advice. I have now synced using Garmin Express. Besides updates to maps of 5 regions that I don't live in - no obvious updates as such but I'm assuming CPE data & other things have been refreshed in the background.

You're welcome - hope your recorded tracks improve.

Just a few more thoughts for you:

- If your next run is on a track, you may want to try the Track Run Activity - may yield a more accurate representation of your track's actual shape.

- Whichever Activity you choose, wait at least 2-3 minutes AFTER the green GPS bar is seen and the "Press Start" message first appears.  This has proven to yield much more accurate recordings especially at the beginning of a run.

- I would suggest trying GPS + GALILEO again; may or may not make a difference, but won't hurt.

- Just to eliminate some more possible sources of error, try turning OFF 3D Speed, 3D Distance, Auto Pause and Auto Lap - may yield some interesting results.

Let us know how it works out!

HTH