Body Battery and/or Sleep Accuracy

I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of my Body Battery and/or Sleep readings. My BB was 72 at bedtime (it was an easy day). The watch claims I slept 7 hrs 54 min, including 1 hr 10 min Deep and 2 hr 15 min REM and awake 9 minutes, which it labelled Good with a rating of 83. So my BB should have been topped up, right? Nope. When I got up it was just 84, up only 12 points. Monday night my BB was 59 when I went to bed and 100 when I got up, rising 41 points overnight. How was my sleep that night? Only slightly better by the numbers. There seems to be a lack of consistency in recovery during sleep.

• Only slightly better by the numbers.

I believe the differences you are seeing are due to the fact you are not including ALL the "numbers."  For example, Stress, Movement, HRV, etc. during sleep could all contribute to the BB number - simply length of sleep alone does not drive the BB number.

HTH

• Nope. Today, at 9:54, my Stress widget records time since midnight as 8h16m at Rest, 42 mi at Low, 14m at Medium, and 9m at High. All of the medium and high were since getting up. It was similar before midnight. Movement was Low except for one short spike in the middle of the night.

• Oura Ring and Fenix 6X Pro Solar in close agreement on sleep stats. Oura says I'm ready to go. Body Battery maxed out overnight. HRV trend good. No problem here. This is on 17.75 beta. 

• Note: I am on 17.75 when body battery and sleep were updated significantly.

I would say it doesn't hurt to mention it to them. I think they are trying to improve body battery because the older metric was much easier to get to 100. The old body battery would also charge during the day similar to sleep if your stress was 25 or lower. Now it has to be around 10 and little to no movement to budge. It would also not charge while asleep if your stress was above 25 but now it does. It is all an estimate on their part, the body battery will probably take a few years before its better, but it will never be perfect due to physical differences between people. I really believe in the stress metric on its own.

The sleep metric is not working for me since the 17.75 update. I never had awake time on the watch but now I am seeing 30-45 minutes awake at night when I was not awake at all or max 5 minutes. 

• It's definitely worth looking at Body Battery graph with the stress overlay (the 3rd screenshot in 's post is a good example). It explains a lot more of what is going on.

If your body is fighting an illness, or processing a couple of alcoholic drinks, it can lead to high stress (and poor BB) overnight, despite the length of sleep.

• Thanks for the info.

Comparing our two nights, when my BB gained 12 points and yours gained 58 points, you had a sleep score of 94 vs 83 for me. My overnight Stress graph shows it higher than yours but still in the Low category. You had slightly more Deep sleep and less REM sleep, allegedly, and 12 minutes more sleep overall. I really can't see enough differences in those numbers to account for the huge difference in BB gains overnight. Nice to see Garmin and Oura largely agree.

I have not upgraded to the latest software version. But my understanding is the latest one makes it harder to achieve a high BB.

• My overnight Stress graph shows it higher than yours but still in the Low category.

That would be the issue right there - to get a rapid increase in body battery, stress needs to be VERY low. 

You can see in my body battery graph from yesterday that only when my stress got VERY low did BB increase rapidly.

• Are you running the latest (beta) software? If so, I would expect that graph shape. But I'm not on the beta, so I'm not sure what you say applies to my readings.

• Are you running the latest (beta) software? If so, I would expect that graph shape. But I'm not on the beta, so I'm not sure what you say applies to my readings.

I am running the most recent production (non-beta) release 16.70.