Timer : hour in tiny size after in case of activity of more than an hour

Hello,

I'm french, sorry for my english...

on a fenix 6X Pro, whatever data screen I choose, the timer behaves amazingly. After an hour of activity, the hours figure is displayed in tiny size, compared to the minutes and seconds figures (see picture below after 1 hour and 25 minutes...). I run long runs, trail and ultra, it's just unusable,

Who is the engineer who designed this display? He never made a race of more than an hour to conceive such behavior ...

Am I the only one that bothers? Have you found a workaround?

Thank you

• I have the Connect IQ build stuff installed cause I was playing around with watchfaces. However it was a bit complex, but I have managed to hack together a timer data field that simply shows

Time HMS

xx:yy:zz

Not to steal your thunder, but I already have a customizable data field that can do the same thing: AppBuilder 5.

It's a normal data field (not full page/screen) that displays almost any value you want.

apps.garmin.com/.../fd690281-9c22-4fee-a81e-3b7f39aa67c5

Use the following settings:

Label: Time

Formula: timer

Display Format: Time

If you want to display hours and minutes only, use timer div 60 for your formula.

• 5 fields displays Timer field with hours in the same font. Overall the field has smaller height, but it is actually easier to read because hours are displayed in the same font as minutes and seconds.

Good spot! A solution that doesn't need a ConnectIQ field looks good to me. (I appreciate the responses with fields that will do this, but when you only have two CIQ fields available sometimes there are more pressing needs)

• Not to steal your thunder, but I already have a customizable data field that can do the same thing: AppBuilder 5.

No worries bud. I'm no CIQ genius so I'll happily defer :) 

• Thanks - just tried it and it works a treat. I did find that the Timer field can't be one of the half width fields, so I put it in the bottom field.

I have an ultra coming up and this will hopefully save me peering at the watch wondering if I have been going 8 or 9 hours

• Oh I agree,but it is at least a workaround. Thats the beauty of having CIQ fields.

However, most watches only allow 2 ciq data fields at a time for an activity. If you are already using 2 DF, there is no way to use an additional DF just to display the hours in a larger font size.

IMO, native dynamic formatting of the activity time display with the same font size is required, i.e. something like
    - activity time < 1min ---> ss.s
    - 1min <= activity time < 1h ---> mm:ss
    - 1h < activity time ---> (h)h:mm

• IMO, native dynamic formatting of the activity time display with the same font size is required, i.e. something like
    - activity time < 1min ---> ss.s
    - 1min <= activity time < 1h ---> mm:ss
    - 1h < activity time ---> (h)h:mm

Personally, I wouldn't want this when running a half marathon or marathon, because I would still want to see seconds.

Probably the best solution would be for this behavior to be configurable somehow.

• Probably the best solution would be for this behavior to be configurable somehow.

Yes, somehow Grinning

I assume that the current time formatting with the tiny hours is due to lack of space. There are two ways to solve this problem:
    1) By using a smaller font so that the entire time fits in the field. However, the font may be so small that users with glasses have difficulty reading it.
    2) By omitting parts that are not absolutely necessary. In this way, a large font can be used and the time still fits in a small field.

Personally, I wouldn't want this when running a half marathon or marathon, because I would still want to see seconds.

Yes, this is a matter of opinion. In my running experiences with HM and M, I never worried about the seconds, except when finishing a race. And after stopping the activity, the full time is also displayed.

The dynamic formatting is just a suggestion of mine, which is at least better than a non-readable display of the full time.

EDIT: 3) By rotating the time in the field, with the same advantages as 2), but this may hard to read.

• It’s dynamic already - it shows hundredths of a second for the first few seconds - so there’s precedent!

Think I’d like to see seconds still up to 2 hours, though that didn’t stop me running 1:45:02 last time out Frowning2

• Well, I know this doesn't help anyone who doesn't have an extra slot for a CIQ data field, but my AppBuilder 5 data field also allows you have dynamic behavior.

For example:

- To show hh:mm after one hour, use the following formula: if (timer gte 3600, timer div 60, timer)

- To show hh:mm after two hours, use the following formula: if (timer gte 7200, timer div 60, timer)

It would even be possible to rotate between hh:mm and mm:ss, if that's what you really want. (Although some people might find that confusing)

I just find it doubtful that Garmin will introduce configurable behavior to cater the differing needs of individual users, since it seems that Connect IQ was designed for this kind of thing.

It's just too bad about the 2 field limit.