LTE on a Fenix?

I saw this question asked recently, and it got me thinking. Is this a useful feature? Would I pay an extra $50-100 for it (and what about the data plan cost)?

As for myself, I certainly wouldn't care to be Apple-Watching it and holding up the watch to my face as I go for a run. And I could care less about real-time syncs to Garmin Connect while my phone or wifi is out of range. And I definitely do not want to see ANY kind of battery life hit for having LTE...

...but...

One of the reasons I got a Fenix is so I don't have to carry my phone on runs for me, it does my GPS run tracking and plays my music, plus a lot more. But now I don't have an emergency contact system anymore, and as I'm running farther longer, I'm often thinking if my wife will have enough information to find me if I pass out or bite it or whatever. And if I start traveling again and run in a new location, I might end up having to take my phone for emergencies anyways.

So, what if the Fenix 7 had LTE? I don't need a speaker or a mic, I don't need it to take calls, I don't need to get my regular notifications, and I certainly don't need it to be always on. But it would be great if it was integrated into some of the safety features on the current Fenix line, like emailing/calling your emergency contact with GPS location if your watch stops moving during a workout or experiences a high impact (that would even be helpful if you lose your watch). You could also have a duress mode where you could constantly send GPS updates to a preset email or contact 911 for you if you activate it with a hotkey. Or you could send preset, one-off SMS/emails if you need. Fine, it can even be active for that Live Track feature if you want.

The point is, if the LTE feature is emergency-only or limited functionality, it doesn't need to be a battery hog, and it'd still be useful enough for me to pay a premium, and even a reasonable monthly fee when I know I'll need it. And it would free me completely from carrying a phone around, because I know if anything happens, I'll be able to get critical information to someone straight from my watch.

That little bit of peace of mind might even be enough for me to straight up upgrade from the F6.

Thoughts?

• Absolutely!  I would only turn it on when needed and battery life wouldn't be an issue for me.  I posted to a similar thread just the other day.  Both the wife and I were both hit by careless drivers while cycling. Neither had any significant injuries, but using LiveTrack and incident detection without having to bring my phone is enough reason enough for me to buy it. 

• I am not going to pay another data plan, I have one with my phone.

• If they make an LTE version, then that's fine. I just won't buy it.

• The data plan is the hardest to swallow, for sure. I don't think I would want it continuously for my daily runs at home. But if I went on a longer run, or traveled one week, I could see.myseld sign up for a pay as you go plan. Or a flat 50MB usage fee that I would never exhaust.

• Cost/benefit analysis. Been cycling for over 50 years on road and off road. Been trail and road running for 30+ years. Been open water swimming for 40 plus years. Been out in the back of beyond far beyond the reach of any cell phone more times than I've had hot dinners. Never needed to call anyone in an emergency.

Simple cost/benefit analysis based on my experience says no added value.

But of course YMMV and your experience change the equation.

• I don't need a speaker or a mic, I don't need it to take calls,

Assuming it has the relevant Bluetooth audio stack to support music, I would think that an LTE F7 would leverage the mic and speakers in headphones for voice calls, rather than having this hardware in the watch itself.

Anyway, if the rumors surrounding FCC filings are correct, we are likely to see an LTE 945 ahead of an F7.

• snap!

maybe the OP could buy an Apple AirTag or Chipolo or run/ride with friends, then could rely on someone else's connection.

to be fair to Garmin, I suspect LTE will eventually be able to deliver some interesting sports-features

• Results depend on the volume of training, and not from fashionable functions Smiley

• To cover safety and keep wife informed I am using inReach Mini, it is much smaller than my phone, have a long battery life and ... no stupid calls, or disturbing notifications for my long run or open water swimming. Yes, I know I can turn off notifications, but it is philosophy to be off grid, but ... in the same time a little bit connected to the matrix %). Of course ideal fenix should have LTE + satellite, or satellite only. Technically it is almost impossible as Iridium satellite network requires about 1 Watt TX and certain antenna. 

• Cost/benefit analysis. Been cycling for over 50 years on road and off road. Been trail and road running for 30+ years. Been open water swimming for 40 plus years. Been out in the back of beyond far beyond the reach of any cell phone more times than I've had hot dinners. Never needed to call anyone in an emergency.

Simple cost/benefit analysis based on my experience says no added value.

This is very clearly Normalcy Bias.  Just because you've never personally had something happen to you yet, doesn't mean it isn't a real risk (and in this case, doesn't add value).  Not necessarily arguing it has value vs doesn't - just that the argument uses a logical fallacy.