Active calories. Daily tracking.

I came to the Fenix 6 via a vivosmart 4 and a Venu. I have noticed that my daily active calories are much lower on the Fenix than the others. Same account, same type of days but a couple of hundred active lower. Is there a bug with the Fenix active calories? Or were the other devices so much out? I do not start an activity on these days.

• Hey!  I have a F6s and also have had many other trackers.  In general, ALL wearables seem to over estimate cal. Somewhere around 20 -25% in some cases.  So, I would not rely too much on any of them.  Just use as a good guideline,  This is especially true in activities. 

So, if the F6 is reading lower than the others.. this maybe a good thing :-)

• Hi! Thanks. It just seems odd that both the other Garmin devices are round about the same but the Fenix is 200 to 300 less. After all they are all Garmin. Would assume they would all be similar.

You're correct though, means I can't eat the whole cakeFrowning2

• I see the same when I compare the Fenix 6 with my old Forerunner 645 (about 40% less calories) and my Forerunner 745 (about 30% less calories) outside activities. The Coros Pace 2 and the Polar Vantage M which I tested for about 2 weeks each are about in the same ball park as both Forerunners.

That, and because it underestimated the running distances for 3 months now, made me basically giving up on the Fenix 6.

• That's interesting thanks. Four different Garmin devices giving substantially different active calories to a Fenix 6.

I know they all all estimations but this has to be a bug.

• Funny how whenever different devices show different data, the one with less favorable data is automatically assumed to be the wrong one ;)

If there's one thing I've learned from this forum, I should make a watch that always says you ran 25% further than reality, and burned 25% more calories than reality. I'd make a fortune!

• Smile obviously the higher calorie calculation is the most accurate! You would think all Garmin devices would be consistent with each other. Fenix must be low as I use my fitness pal and am not piling on weight!

• I do agree, that its frustrating to get different readings from different devices all from the same manufacture.  I think the only way to look at it.. go with the one that reports lower, and this way you should be ahead of the game :-)

• Well, it is not about "the more, the better" rather than "the odd one out". 
    Fitbit grossly overestimates calories, while "my" F6 underestimates COMPARED to the rest of the bunch.
    Same goes for the running distance, esp. on known courses. Why should I trust the F6 over official measured distances? Just because "the one with less favorable data is automatically assumed to be the wrong one"? My new Fr745 is almost spot-on when it comes to distance.

• If i use the ohr to get calories from a indoor cycling, i may get 600 calories for the ride. now, i can hook up my smart trainer and calories are computer with power, not heart rate. i get half of the calories so 300. I also have an oura ring that does not use hr for calories but MET values and it closely match the calories with the power meter.

• I wore both the Venu and the fenix 6 today and it seems when not in an activity the fenix  does not continually monitor heart rate. On climbing 8 flights of stairs the Venu said my hr was 130 and the fenix 78! 

This occurs numerous times throughout the day and would account for lower active calories on the fenix.

Perhaps because the Venu is a "lifestyle " watch?