Is it possible to see one or two decimals for VO2 Max?

Anyone know if its possible? I think that it would be a nice feature to see progress at decimal level so we can easier track the improvements in our training.

• It follows that I should go to Settings and lower the heart rate they write there. The math of the VO2 Max will not be influenced, but the software will be tricked into triggering the computation.

I think it will alter the computation, and give you an unreliable VO2 figure. Setting incorrect HR zones will affect all aspects of your health calculations.

• it might put me in the wrong category, but the computation will stay the same:

According to these people VO2 Max Calculator - (trailrunnerworld.com) Garmin uses this method

"If you do not have access to a test, your VO2 Max can be calculated. This is the method that sports watches such as a Garmin Fenix or Apple Watch use.

There are a few different methods to calculate VO2 Max. The following are included within our VO2 Max Calculator. You will need to be prepared with some information to input into the calculator to achieve a result.

Heart Rate Ratio Method

The simplest calculation is as follow:

VO2 Max = Max Heart Rate / Resting Heart Rate x 15.3

Your maximum heart rate can be calculated using our maximum heart rate calculator or you could perform a field test. "

So I think it works. And if Garmin doesnt like it, Garmin can follow Fitbit's footsteps and compute it daily for me so I dont challenge their computations.

• But it will throw off any guided workouts etc, all for a single number.And the actual calculation depends on more then that : https://www.firstbeatanalytics.com/en/features/vo2max-fitness-level/

Firstbeat Analytics can automatically detect your VO2max fitness level during walking and running activities, using a proprietary method shown to be 95% accurate compared to laboratory measurements. The calculation relies on a combination of personal background information and data collected during your activity. This includes a focus on heart rate and running/walking speed. Movement speed and heartbeat data are used to investigate the relationship between internal and external workloads. In other words, how hard your body is working to produce your performance.

The algorithm behind Firstbeat Analytics’ VO2max calculation learns from you over time. The more you use your device, the more reliable your VO2max estimate becomes. It is also specifically designed to automatically recognize the best data for making the calculation, meaning stops and starts are excluded along with any other interference that occurs along the way.<

• If you workout daily and want a VO2 - sync up a Runalyze account and use their calculator. But if you fudge the calculations by putting in in incorrect max hr, or other figures.

Well, you'll get a daily figure. But it will have zero basis in reality. As the saying goes in data processing, garbage in leads to garbage out.

• So many are defending the lack of visibility of decimals in VO2 max. Change it ! You are all wrong. Here's why:

The categories measure to 1 decimal place yet the result does not! Therefore this is inconsistent. You cannot say it's not accurate enough to bother and simultaneously change the score based on the accuracy level that you are denying is worth using.

So you can go from good to excellent without any perceivable reason, that's why it's wrong. Just add one decimal for goodness sake and get over defending this little mistake everyone!

Make categories and result decimal rounding the same and make visible. Simple.

• Garmin/Firstbeat doesn't even track in vo2max, it tracks in MetMax and converts it to a vo2max number.

MetMax is a huge integer number. It can convert to vo2max with as many decimals as anyone wants.

MetMax is field message 140 sub field 7 in the FIT files.

That integer is divided by the weird number 18724.5714286  to get vo2max

(it's really 65536 / 3.5 because 65536 is the integer scale)

So they could easily show two decimal places and if you are using a HRM belt with real HRV it definitely knows the difference.

The newest beta firmwares for the Fenix only increase of decrease vo2max by 0.030-0.050 or so at most daily, they know what they are doing but users have no clue that vo2max is increasing that slowly and they think something is wrong that for a month it shows the same vo2max

Remember when Strava added a decimal place across their platform finally after several years? Changed everything for the better.

If they don't want to show decimals on the master display for vo2max then just show it on a press of the start button on that display for the next page.

AND put it with two decimals into the activity summary because firstbeat recalculates it afterwards.

• Agreed. It is so miserable that our watches implicitly show the fraction (decimals) on the vo2 max history chart. Just the watch with the tiny display. Neither GCM on your smartphone, nor GCweb on your 24 inches monitor.