Fenix 6X scratched sapphire screen

Hi all, 

I recently had my F5XPlus upgraded to a 6X Sapphire by Garmin ( Faulty Fenix 5 ) & within the first week or so, I've noticed that ive marked ( or scratched ) the screen. 

Now i understand that these watches are Sapphire and realisticly shouldnt be marked unless said item that contacts the screen is high on the mohs scale.

anyone had something like this happen that has gone away or do i need to speak to Garmin Support ? 

Top Replies

All Replies

• It's something like:
    So we sell you a diamond but it's not really a diamond, it's with a little glass in there ... but we say it's a diamond and we take 50 times more money.
    What are we talking about here?
    Fraud.
  • It has been proven many times over that the Sapphire in the Fenix 6 series are legit synthetic sapphire crystal.
    The problem is that sapphire crystals come in different forms, some better than others. Garmin have not mentioned anywhere which type they are using, might even be using different types depending on availability and price from different suppliers. Synthetic sapphire is scratch resistant, not scratch proof! 

"Watch crystals made of synthetic sapphire are often marketed as “scratch resistant” or “virtually scratchproof” because they are very difficult - but not impossible - to scratch. Diamond can scratch them; so can man-made materials that incorporate silicon carbide, which, with a Mohs rating of between 9 and 10, is harder than sapphire. So, if you accidentally scratch your watch on a simulated-stone surface or a wall that incorporates some of these silicon carbide materials, it could scratch the crystal."

If you believe that there is something wrong with your sapphire glass, place a warranty claim.

• So we sell you a diamond but it's not really a diamond, it's with a little glass in there ... but we say it's a diamond and we take 50 times more money.

A. We're not talking about diamonds. B. They say it's sapphire and it is sapphire. C. It's not 50 times more money, it's  $100 more.

• Bingo.

People don't seem to realize how common super hard substances like silicon-carbide are. Heavy construction projects will kick up dust that gets on everything. Jog past an infrastructure project, a bit of dust it gets on your sleeve, that sleeve rubs against your watch...

• Right you are. But crazy enough that my FR945 with glass and (definitive present) AR coating but no Sapphire has not a single scratch. Wearing it 24/7 since 16 month and even sometimes forget to put on the protector when rock climbing.

Any idea why people then suffer from scratches in their high reflecting and therefore definitely not AR coated F6 Sapphire? I know this because I had both watches side by side.

If the 945 is that tough, why isn't the F6 Sapphire?

• Interesting point about diamonds and silicon carbide.. how many of us carry silicon carbide in our household items or daily use items to be able to scratch the watch?

• how many of us carry silicon carbide in our household items or daily use items to be able to scratch the watch

Sandpaper, Emery paper, grinding wheels, cutting wheels. If you use a grinder or a Dremel tool, the grinding or cutting surface is probably silicon carbide.