Fenix 6x Elevation Fault - HELP & SUPPORT needed

Hi, 

I've had my Garmin 6x sapphire since May 2020 and to me, it clearly has a fault. I spoke to Garmin customer services for 2 hours on webchat on Friday but they were trying to tell me there is no fault and the elevations are completely within the specs of the watch. But I'd like your opinions, I think they're trying to fob me off.

I have attached 3 elevation plots from recent runs. In each of them between the 15-20 minute mark, you can see the elevation spiking up and down all the way through to the end. This is why I'm getting these crazy elevation gain/drop figures when I finish my runs. All runs once the elevation correction is enabled drop the elevation figure many hundreds of metres each time. These are the unedited run data. 

The first picture was a completely flat 10k run with 2 friends also with Garmin watches. They both had 6M elevation gain at the end, I had 222M! I sent Garmin their data and they told me mine looks the same. They were telling me it was due to one spike in elevation which clearly isn't true. Another excuse was environmental factors, which I replied it was a perfectly clear day, no buildings, no wind and my friends Garmin's acted perfectly. How 6M - 222M is within specs of the watch is complete rubbish, that's a 3600% difference.

Apparently, a manager is going to ring me but I have been told they are not technically trained. To me, you don't have to be technically trained to see my watch has a fault. Whether I'll even get a call back is another thing. I was not happy with how I was addressed by Garmin at all. 

Look forward to hearing all your thoughts.

10k Flat

• The first claim was untrouble but the second, Garmin not accepted and replied me that it is normal. Then I sent the display and they accepted. Now my third time, I need to return my money and send my watch back to Garmin...still waitting.

• Last 3 rides I made with the following settings:

• Altimeter - Auto Cal - During Activity - Off
    • Altimeter - Auto Cal - Not During Activity - Off
    • Barometer - Watch Mode - Altimeter

The total gain during the ride looks much more realistic. Yesterday I also tested once with:

• Altimeter - Auto Cal - During Activity - Continue

And other settings as above. Goog result. Total gain is pretty close to the total gain with "Correction enabled" in the activity on Garmin Connect. It looks like the setting of Watch Mode = Altimeter for the Barometer sensor is doing the trick. I will leave it like this the coming weeks as for me this is OK.

• Altimeter - Auto Cal - During Activity - Continue

Interesting, I don't have this option in firmware version 9.00, only on/off, so this appears to be something that Garmin has modified in the more recent firmware updates.

I've been following this thread because I've never had the problem other people are having, but have always turned off all the auto cal, and any other auto mode options.  Glad to see you're finding better results using the same settings I've been using.  There's a lot of configuration possibilities, it may be that I just stumbled onto the best one by accident, but I'm not sure about that because some people can remove the altitude noise just by wearing it on the right wrist, or attaching it to some other part of their body.

• Yes, I am on version 11.10. There are 3 options for Altimeter > Auto Cal > During Activity: Off, Continue and At Start. You are right, there are a lot of options possible.

• This morning's ride with 12.10, calibrate at start, auto calibrate on, worn on left wrist as usual:

• Nope for me

watch mode = Altimeter 

In my case I think is not a setting causing this... too repetitive and regular the fault happening after 20 25 mins in every my run.

this is the second Fenix 6X Sapphire replaced given the problem, or I’ve been particularly unlucky with an hardware problem, or it relates with the sweat and a firmware glitch

• In your case I’d say you are unlucky if you’ve had a problem with two watches. However, I’d also suggest there might be something that you do that causes the problem to materialize after 20 minutes or so. Perhaps show us a picture of where you normally wear the watch on your wrist. Do you have a visible tan line on your wrist? 

My settings: Altimeter - Auto cal at start, calibration on both during activity and not during activity. Barometer set to Auto. Watch worn on left wrist with face up (what I would call normal position) but probably a bit lower than Garmin recommend as it is up against my wrist bone. However, even when riding I cannot flex my wrist far enough back to obscure the barometer openings.

This graph is from a trail run last week:

I have seen the occasional spiky graph but only rarely - can certainly count the occasions on one hand. 

• This is from a run today so it isn't necessarily hardware related or a universal problem. Which doesn't offer much solace to those experiencing the problem.

• After my run last night I overlaid temperature on the elevation trace after seeing your post about the temperature fluctuations. As you can, the temperature appears to be more stable. Perhaps you are onto something?

• Hi everyone,

after following this topic for a few weeks I have made some tests on my side.
    I have never had "spikes" as the worst elevation graphs shared on this post, but I do get weird elevation values for my runs, like 160 / 180 meters of elevation when I know I'm not climbing more than 100 meters (confirmed by elevation correction post-run). Also had a 75 m elevation change reported... on a 8 km flat track run. So I think there might be different levels at which the issue occurs...

I'm personnally not sure this is related to sweat accumulating in the barometer port, since I often wear my watch outside a long sleeve shirt... And still the elevation is faulty (although not as bas as this post's worst examples, I have to say). But I think something is clearly wrong on the software side because the elevation used to be more accurate and relevant in earlier FWs...

Strange Garmin is not communicating at all about any progress in solving this, at least mentioning they are aware of the issue.