Fenix 6S: Heart rate monitor (wrist) not working

Hi guys,

2 weeks ago I got myself a garmin 6s. First couple of days it worked really well and I was blown away by al the things it could do. However the last week I got some problems with it. I don´t know what happened but the heartrate monitor disabled itself then randomly comes on again.  Currently I don´t even get a reading of my heartrate during sport activities or throughout the day (Sleep, stress levels, heart rate etc). Nothing works now (its like a $800 stopwatch)... I read some forums about the heart monitor problem, and I was shocked about how many people were experiencing this. I couldn´t find a solution online, only complaints. 

Does anyone know how I need to fix this problem and get my heart rate monitor back online? Much appreciated!

• Helllo,

1. Make sure software is updated. 
    2. Try resetting the watch.
    3. Call garmin

• I don´t know what happened but the heartrate monitor disabled itself then randomly comes on again. 

Check the Battery Saver settings in the Power Manager.

• My watch is doing the same thing.  Plus, the buttons have a terrible lag when pushed.  This makes it even more difficult to trouble shoot.  

Very frustrated.  I am calling Garmin Today.  

• Hey. I have same problem for some time now. HR and steps stops working at some point 22.10 (latest). What helps is to connect usb cable and if to remove on 100% fenix 6s offers to update, what results "sensor software updated". Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes restart helps. Hard reset doesn't help. Its quite bad to depend on chest HR sensor. And in competition chest sensor is not preferable. I have written to support via email today and waiting for an answer.

• In the end I contacted garmin via email and after timely email exchanges nothing would help and i got my watch replaced.

For me WHR, steps - sensors in general stopped working. And in settings about view sensor hub and sometimes WHR version dropped to 0.00. Sometimes restarts helped, sometimes updates over usb using Garmin connect. In long term issue kept coming up. Anyway thank you gamin for support. One can rely on you and your products!

• I have the same exact problem. With absolutely no changes in device or mobile app settings, my wrist heart rate stopped working on my Fenix 6 Sapphire. After a run today. My run used an external Garmin run heart rate monitor. As soon as the activity was over, the watch never switched back to wrist heart rate. A restart of the device didn't help. I could try restarting but it sounds like other folks are having this issue with version 22.10. Resetting the watch is such a pain in the ass and it takes forever to set everything back up the way you want it. Can somebody please wake me up when this is fixed?

• Oddly, the WHR sensor started working again after an overnight charge. After today's run with an external Garmin chest strap connected, the wrist-based heart rate is once again decided to completely shut itself off. ShrugThinkingPensive

• I reset the watch today and the WHR functionality has not been restored. I've contacted Garmin to see what my options are... 

• I'm currently experiencing the same.  My 5x Plus worked beautifully and recently upgraded to 6x.  My 6x worked excellent the very first day then I noticed WHR was only working sporadically throughout the day.  Frustrated, I returned it thinking it was a dud.  Got my second one shipped a week later from Best Buy and same thing is happening.  I've noticed I have to move the watch around on my wrist to wake it up in a sense.. It will then work for maybe 10 minutes and then stop.  Adjusting the watch band will not help either.  Very frustrated.    

• Isn't that an expected result of the heart rate monitor not designed to be enabled at all times, even when worn on the wrists? In my case, the heart rate monitor wouldn't turn on at all. Not while It was on my wrist and not at any time, eventually.

The behavior that you are describing sounds perfectly normal for a fitness watch to be honest. I'm not sure why you're returning these