This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Ascent wrong since Software 9.0

Has anyone else noticed an error in the total ascent since the last update? My local hill is 500m ascent and since the update I'm getting closer to 600m of ascent on the watch. Last week I did an MTB tour with about 850m of ascent and the device gave me 1200m. Every ride i do now is at least 10% off the correct ascent in many cases the error is much more. 

I've also seen climbing speeds of 2000m per hour when I was climbing at closet to 600m/h. These kind of errors I never saw before until after I updated to the newer software. 

The altitude seems to be correct, just the ascent and ascent rate are wrong. Anyone else noticed this?

• Stop: Hiking also produces nonsens data!!

• I agree with you,  my commute ride this morning was totally unusable 

connect.garmin.com/.../5032117065

• Hi all.

I also have bad results comparing ascent/descent. In example while in hiking activity, go up 150m and go down 140 m. Start and finish in same place. I accept difference 2-4 m but 10 or more meter difference during 1hour activity is really bad result for Fenix 6x pro sapphire.

Moreover the watch while not in activity can add some meters while I go upstairs, in example +2~3 m and sometimes does not subtract them while I go downstairs - this is the first case. The second case is the watch just add some meter or two while doing nothing - stay in place.

I dont know why it happen. I tried calibrate with no luck.

• Hi at all,

I have also the same problem; today i have a run with mi Bike of 42 km and 65 mt of ascent, (recorded of my Polar M450); and my Fenix 6 recorded 280 mt of ascent!

in some cases it shows a high VAM even in the plains.

All this after the update to fw 9.0

• Hi,

today i have a ride with MTB, and I activate Speed 3D, and Distance 3D for try if somthing change...

Result: Polar M450 give me 1250mt of ascent, and my Fenix give me 1522 mt of ascent.

I hope Garmin do somthing, becaise now is unusabile for my rides...

• Stop: Hiking also produces nonsens data!!

In the great scheme of things this may not be a very big "Hike" but I find consistently good results day after day with my small hikes.

Today I had my 6X Pro Solar on my wrist and three other watches at my waist. Here is the setup....

Here are the elevation plots over a 70 minute hike. I did not calibrate at the start, so they all have a different start value, but the profiles are an almost perfect match. 6X is the green line.

And here is the summary data, including total ascent/descent with elevation correction disabled for all watches....

Results on my modest MTB excursions also align very well from multiple watches and bike computers.

FWIW I have calibration during activity and outside activity disabled because GPS altitude is unreliable in my opinion, especially in hilly or mountainous terrain. It is better to calibrate at the start of activity and then let the barometric altimeter take care of business after that.

• Another hike today over similar terrain. 80 minutes and c.4.7km distance, comparing four watches. This time I calibrated them within about 5m before setting off. Here is the elevation profile from each watch without correction....

And here are the summary stats....

It is difficult to find fault with the 6X relative to the other devices. They are all very much in close agreement.

• As I've mentioned before I only have the problem in the MTB app and I believe it's related to MTB metrics. Try putting the watches into MTB mode and go for a cycle and then see what differences you get. I'm getting in the region of 50% difference in altitude gain between my 6x Sapphire and my girlfriends 5s plus or my Garmin 510. 

• Regarding hiking, I was replying to CHORGE1972. As for MTB, I have three days of testing with multiple devices using MTB activity. They are not huge numbers, but I would not say that the 6X is running away with absurd figures. Here are some comparative stats from the three days with up to five devices at once.....

Here is the test setup for two of the test days (maybe the position was swapped between days, but I'm not sure).

• Are you using the latest updates? Because getting over 800m ascent on a measured 500m ascent is way off in my book and this is not a once-off. This happens every time I do the ride and other devices measure correctly.