Training Status

It says "unproductive" pretty much all the time.

VO2 - was 48..  now seems to be falling to 44. "fair"

7d load is 531 and it says 446 - 988 is optimal.  So, load seems great.

The focus is "High Aerobic"

304 (purple)

1447 (orange)

458 (blue)

The Garmin connect app says to focus on easy runs or rides etc..  

The problem (I guess) is that anytime I run, and I try and go easy im always around 160 - 169bpm (spikes into the 170+ range) and so this is never an "easy run".  Staying under that 158 range is nearly impossible for me for some reason.  I use the Polar arm band OHR connected to the watch for better accuracy too.

Same goes for my bike rides.

How can I raise my VO2 score?

Also, does activity that is not logged (meaning not starting a activity on the watch) also count in all this?  For example, if I just go outside and go for a walk, is this calculated in my scoring?  Or only when an actual activity program is running?

• Hi everyone..

This is very confusing..  let me check my understanding..

So, the first thing I am trying to sort out.. is weather or not the Edge 530 (when I bike) is being reflected in the Garmin Connect app when I look at my day?   I mean, yes it of course connects shows the ride etc..  but, are all the metrics reflecting that?   For example, when I look at the “active min” per week status..  I don’t see anything that shows the ride.

When I look at the training status and look at load, I can see the ride I just did (but only when I select the 530 as the device).  When I choose the watch as the device, its not there.  Fine, maybe its just setup that way to show only per device.. but, what about the overall?  The data seems to be the same..  so, is this correct?  That its showing for both?   This alone is confusing.

Basically, I want to know when I go for a ride with the 530, and sync..  is this effecting my training status?  I don’t want a separate training status for the watch / 530..  that would make no sense?  Is that the case?

• Thank you for the detailed answer.  The only confusing thing was the cadence lock?  The Polar OH1 is just an optical HR strap that goes on the arm.  It cant detect any type of Cadence.    I think all of the HR readings are accurate tho..  I was just trying to say that its hard to go for a "easy" run without getting my HR into a zone that apparently places me in a constant "unproductive" status.

• Yeah, the graph only shows activities recorded on that device, but if you look at your Training Load figures (including Load Focus) it clearly DOES integrate activities from different devices.

• Okay great.  Yeah, that was a little confusing.  So, I guess this is why when I switch devices (graph) all the data stays the same?

• i have different training status between edge 830 and fenix 6x... there is always something that doesn't work with garmin

• Garmin is very vague in many aspects of feedback. You need to be part of garmin team to read between the lines. In comparison to other manufacturers of course 

• After many months of playing and testing with this feature, I am actually surprised to see that it works rather well and picks up the ques from your metrics (HRV, pace, bpm, etc). If your VO2 Max has dropped that much and if there is no issue with the software (maybe a reset can help), I would say - you may be pushing it too hard. Try to go slower and give your body a rest. Maybe test your HRV and see the recommendation. 

Judging from your VO2 max rating: fair, I take that you might be new into running or picking up after a break. If that is true, it is generally recommended to build your aerobic base (remaining in Zone2 and 1) in your runs for 3-4 months. This helps your body to build aerobic capacity and burn fat instead of sugar while running. This can help you tremendously. You will be surprised how your pace and VO2 max is improving as you build your aerobic base.

• When you’re on the training status page, you can select the device by clicking the arrow next to the currently selected device. Not sure how/ if data is aggregated. I assumed it was when physio true-up is enabled.