Shift in GPS track depending on wrist

As an avid heatmapper / run every street I'm particularly interested in more accurate GPS tracks.  I've been perplexed by why has appeared to be a shift of my GPS tracks to the left of where I run no matter what direction I run in.  So if I run an out and back on a road it looks like I've practically run a loop because its shifts it off the road on both sides.  In general my tracks are off the road and sometimes its more egregious than others.  I took to running on the wrong side of the road (with traffic instead of against) to get it more centered.  I then did an experiment and changed my watch to my right hand.  Low and behold my tracks started looking significantly better!  I figured there must be some sort of setting I was missing.  I found the wrist setting in my Fenix 6 and changed it from "left" (the correct setting) to "right" and it made no difference.  

Wearing the watch on my right wrist example here:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4692022516  - I ran on the side of the road against traffic and its shifted to the right, which is closer to the middle of the road

Wearing the watch on my left wrist example:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4488678027 - notice how all the tracks are to the left where you would be running against traffic off the road

Really neither of these examples are very accurate as they don't capture where I really ran but at least with wearing it on the right hand it will actually show on the road I was running on.   I don't know if this is an intentional shift or not.  Also I'm not a fan of wearing it on my right hand (again wrist setting seem to make no difference in my tests).  Does anyone have any info on this?  

Also this isnt a one off test. All my runs with my Fenix 6 are like this and I found many with my Fenix 5 as well.  Additionally I have done several runs with it on my right wrist and they consistently produce better results every time.

Top Replies

All Replies

• Which satellite systems do you use? For me GPS + Galileo is very poor. GPS only and GPS + GLONASS are much better and very similar in results to each other. I choose GPS + GLONASS in the hope for better performance in more challenging terrain when GPS might be blocked from view.

• The default GPS + GLONASS as that still seems to be recommended over Galileo.

• I have the same exact issue.

The following two activities were from two consecutive days, I ran on the same path in a park with just a few trees, one day in one direction, the other day in the exact opposite direction.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4776906281

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4781521547

Also, these are other activities, all of them are done on the same path(different path from the previous one), in the park mentioned above. I've tried all sorts of combinations(GPS, GPS + GLONASS, GPS + GALLILEO, Right Wrist, Left Wrist).

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4731695692 (Watch worn on the outside of the loop)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4727952298 (Watch worn on the outside of the loop)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4725371491 (Watch worn on the inside of the loop)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4714617856 (Watch worn on the inside of the loop)

It always seems to have the same outcome: there's a shift towards the side on which the GPS is worn on. I think the shift is upwards, because the watch is always sideways when I run.

My 5 year old Fenix 3 and my 6 year old Forerunner 220 both do a better job from an accuracy POV.

• I must admit I was sceptical but decided to give it a try this afternoon. I went to a usual route: 2 km with trees and some buildings followed by 5 km next to a river and back. Usually first (and last) 2 km are wobbly and shifted to the left from 5-30 m so when I look at the tracks (back and forth) they part for up to 50m. Other 5km are never a problem with nothing in site to block the signal, this part is always excellent. 

This time I rotated the watch to the inside of the wrist (left wrist both times) for the last 2 km and a mirracle happend! It's SPOT ON even next to a buildings and under trees it's clean, straight and spot on!!!

How is this possible? Position of the watch in space is the same, only antenna position changes?

I need to confirm this on a couple more runs, but if it proves correct:

1. my Fenix IS capable of recording excellent track even next to tall buildings and under trees- that's a huge releif because I love the watch otherwise

2. all those excuses about metal bezel blocking signal and hand moving making signal recording difficult are jibber jabber

3. all we need now is Garmin team to fix this :)

• One more challenging run with the F6 on my inner left wrist. Running a little 400m loop around a building, anti clockwise (so the building in on the side of the watch). Some little sharp turns. So it's clearly not that easy for a GPS recording. A Suunto 9 on my right outer wrist.

I have done this loop before, clock wise, anti clock wise, left and right wrist with the F6. Today was clearly the best recording, GPS wise. I was even skeptical looking at the distance on the watch ! I need to do that a bit more to conclude, but it's not just the satellites today :

• Garmin distance, 6.64km
    • Pure GPS distance : 6.70km
    • Suunto distance : 5.78km (!!!)
    • Real distance : around 6.8km

I didn't have my footpod today, but it measures this loop around 400m. 

I need to repeat this test to confirm, but the difference with the Suunto is significant. I had days with cleaner GPS recordings, but then the S9 and the F6 both have better results. 

I looked at my posture, and the watch is vertical, facing my body, quite close to it. I would say 4 inches maybe ? So in theory, it's bad, my body is blocking the signal significantly. But could a GPS expert share some thoughts? could it be that not facing the outside, the watch doesn't receive a lot of rebounds from the building, and only what is rebounding on my own body ? Rebounds of GPS signal against buildings (or any structure) are usually one of the reasons why it sucks when running in a city or a canyon, am I correct ? Maybe this position helps to receive significantly less of them, making the result cleaner ? 

Well, it's just a few recordings we have done. I will record more and keep comparing with the other watch (same chipset after all !).

• I think before complaining your small wrist based device (of any brand) that is perpendicular to the sky most of the time is showing you are on the 'wrong' side of the pavement..... it is triangulating with many things twelve and a half thousand miles away to try to determine where you are

• Of course, if you think about some years ago when we needed to wait 5 minutes to get a position, it's pretty impressive. 

But here people are a bit demanding because the watches we were buying for 250$ 5 years ago were giving more accurate positions than the brand new titanium one we buy now for 1000$. I'm still very happy with my watch, the battery life has increased a lot, but there is a trade off, the GPS accuracy is not as good as before. It's still quite impressive from a 85gr device with such a tiny antenna, but as a customer, when you pay more, you expect better. It's better in many ways, but also worse on some. For a device mostly meant to record our workouts, GPS is at the top of the list. So I don't want to *** about this accuracy all day long and say that it's a disgrace and that Garmin should burn in hell. But as someone paying a significant amount of money for a device like that, if we can find a solution to improve the accuracy (and thus the pace & distance, which can be pretty useful during a race...), it's welcome. There are whiners and complainers here, but also some legit remarks. Without all the previous watches, your comment would be 100% valid, and nobody would complain about anything. But buying a Tesla that gives you the wrong current speed would make any customer a bit unhappy, don't you think? :-P 

• I wouldn't buy a Tesla but that is a different conversation Smiley With regards the accuracy I wonder what has fundamentally changed in the last five years then. Are they using different materials to the Fenix 3 ? I can't imagine the areal is much different . Is there something about the new CubeSat's and the way they perform in space compared to more traditional ones. I know they have now changed to Sony chips in the watch for power benefits and maybe there is a trade off because of it. Perhaps the Fenix 3 was a traditional bulb and the 6 is more of an energy saver 

• The Sony chipset is clearly giving some headaches compared to the best chipsets we were using before (like the SirfStar). What is the technical difference explaining it, I don't know, but it's quite obvious that it's a bit less accurate. Maybe since it's using much less energy, it's less sensitive ? i don't know, I'm not an electronic expert, nor a GPS expert. Materials could be a difference, but even the plastic watches aren't really better with this chipset. It's still very acceptable. in fact, to me, the biggest issue is rather Garmin tweaking the distance, rather than the GPS accuracy. If I had the choice to fix ONE thing, I would surely ask for an option to deactivate distance adjustment. The GPS is good enough for me. And in a couple of year, maybe maybe maybe dual frequency will give the watch a terrific accuracy. And we will still come here to complain about something else ;)

• PS : woudn't buy a Tesla myself either, but you see the idea ;)