Update - HR and Body Battery

Is anyone having any strange HR readings and body battery output. I get the odd “abnormal HR alert” HR reading at 130 when not moving. I can take my own pulse and I am pretty sure it is well under 100. If I take the watch off and put it back on again it reads 60-70 pretty instantly. 

My body battery has been in the 20s for a week. 

I am trying to work out if it is my watch (which I think it is) or I am ill. I am sure I would be aware if my heart was beating at 130 while lying or sitting. 

David

• I'm getting similar high HR alerts when sitting still. It started a week or two ago. Body Battery may reach 100 overnight, with sufficient sleep, but during waking hours it continues to decline whether having breakfast in bed, watching TV etc.. Only the most extreme attempt at rest and relaxation will get it to rise during daytime. I have little stress in my life and am quite sedentary between training sessions, so should be recovering, not declining further.

It didn't used to be like this. I'm fit and well. VO2max is on an upward trend. FTP going up. I think it's broken. Don't even get me started on HR accuracy outside recording activity. I have a ticket on-going for over 3 months. Others even longer.

Today, on the way down from the moment I woke....

• I had the same issue once this week. I was just sitting and got alert of having over 100bpm (watch hovered between 110-115bpm) and I'm sure the real heart rate was somewhere 60-65bpm. I rebooted watch and after that it showed the correct 60bpm. I was using sw 6.10. Now installing sw8.10 so let's see if this happens again.

• Thanks, that is a bit of a relief, abnormal hr alerts are quiet scary so glad it might be the watch. 

• Thanks, with the fear of illness it is bad time for bug that gives abnormal hr alerts. 

• My resting HR is a little elevated at the moment. It drops to around 46 overnight, but waking figure is more like 50-52. Maybe harder training is keeping it elevated, but I feel good. Fit and rested it should be nearer mid 40s even when awake.

• Thanks, with the fear of illness it is bad time for bug that gives abnormal hr alerts. 

Yes, it was scary to hear the alert

• My resting hr is up 10 beats. Normally about 48 but reading about 58. I haven’t felt great the last few weeks so put it down to that... but as I started to feel better the abnormal alarms kept coming. I do think I would be aware if i was at 140 beats resting. I turned on all day Ox and it seemed to make it all even worse. 

• I did adjust my resting HR value upwards in user settings in case that was the reason for the constant decline, but that didn't change behaviour at all.

I did also try 24 hour pulse-ox for a day, but no apparent influence except faster battery drain and a red glow at night when sleeping in the dark.

Basically I don't really trust the numbers from the watch right now. Even Garmin admitted that wrist HR is inaccurate by design outside activity recording, so what chance that these other metrics are accurate? I am hoping a software fix is in the pipeline, because the sensor is capable, but software is crippling it.

• It was great for months and I think pretty accurate until about 2 weeks ago. Then it seems to have a mind of its own, I tried wiping the sensor but no benefit. 

I was getting anxious I was ill :) 

David

• Regarding fake abnormal HR alerts - 10 so far. Started on 31 Dec and continued every 3-21 days. If you catch HR going crazy - sync the watch with Garmin Connect and perform hard reboot (hold light button untill watch dies, wait 30 sec and power on) this seems to increase time between occurrences.

Last one I had was on 29 Feb and no fake alerts since.

Body battery - no issues, goes up, goes down. Sometimes makes sense, sometimes does not...