Garmin: Suggest feature to detect Covid-19

Hello,

I'm sorry if my english is not so good as others. I live in Spain and I have Covid-19 in early symptoms.

I don't know is this could be possible but I think our devices could help to detect Covid-19 in some aspects.

1. Temperature: Is the device able to measure the body temperature? Or some temperature variation?

2. Could it be possible to solve the Oxygen measurement? Mine for example is 4% below the correct oxymeter. So to make it useful to detect Covid-19 I think we would need two improvements:

2.a. Make a calibration menu for Oxygen in blood (each one could caliber with a medical instrument) 

2.b. It would be a must if we can have an alert of Oximeter, same has HR alert. User could set what is the Ox you want to be alert. If set 90, if the watch measure 89 it woukd need to measure it each 5 minutes, if all are 89 or less you get the alert. It would be a must for people as me to control their asm.

3. Breath per minutes. If the virus is not permitting to enter enough air I think the breath per minutes wouod increase even in rest.

4. The virus is making people to be tired. Even if the user had 47 of body battery he is tired. I don't know if there is a way to control the "fatigue / fatiga"

CALIBRATION MENU: is somerhing very useful for all of us. If my oximeter is 4% below real measure what do I am suppose to do? Send it back? Or would it be better to caliber manually?

• Hi, 

That all sounds very reasonable, but first of all, get well and keep your family safe as possible. May I ask what is your (and what was the progress of change) of Pulse OX? Also, what is your overall stress level (that is essentially accumulated in Body Battery)?

I've found that the latest beta solved the random stress level problem, so that could help also.

• I havent arrive to the phase when virus affect the Pulse ox. Covid-19 is supposed to affect lung and will convert in pneunomia. In this case it supposed to get down pulse ox below 90% and it s when i would need to go to hospital. When the virus affect the lung it's supposed to up the HR higher and affect at normal breath per minutes (higher).

About my actual pulse ox, watch give me a 90% and the medical pulse ox measure 93%

Inhave asm so for me a 93% could be ok but 90% I woukd need oxygen... Calibration would help.

• Thanks! My readings (I am healthy) variates between 89%-99%, mostly between 90-96, and it gives similar values to another (also healthy) person, so I'd presume that most of the time it is way below than the correct value.

I plan to get a dedicated pulse ox meter, yet I am not sure about the accuracy of the consumer level ones.

• Yeah dang mate. Get better. Very good idea imo. 

• best health wishes and strength for the next weeks to everybody!

Totally supporting the idea!

Thumbsup

• This is a very good idea to share Ox, HR, Rpm, T° data between infected people and healthy people. But this is independent of your own and appropriate actions toward the virus and its propagation. Just be safe and follow the barrier & health Authority recommendations. 

Also there are a lot of disclaimers for whole brands of smart watches including Garmin & Apple (see their T&Cs) : they cannot be taken responsible for your health. 

• It would be really interesting to see the body battery (which includes the stress), along with the resting HR.

These incorporate some of the basic signs of sickness: Increased resting HR, Sympathetic system dominance (high stress), not enough recovery (shown of the body battery).

Safe recovery, Hope you will feel better and beat it.

• Best wishes from another Spanish runner.

I live in Madrid and I don’t know if I’ve suffered coronavirus at any level of infection, but I’ve passed last week some days of abnormal tiredness and higher resting HR. Now I feel right. I’m 51 years old, VO2 54 and I was training for Marathon of Madrid. 

Espero que te recuperes pronto. Un abrazo. 

Last week:

And now:

• I read an interview with a covid patient. He had a fever of 39° C and HR was increased. Most important is abnormal resting HR and stres level.

• I also got some unusual tiredness for 4 days and an odd light ache in my throat for 3 days. Otherwise I'm very fit, watch says my sports age is 20 while I'm actually 38 with a VO2 of 50.

Resting heart rate isn't going to tell much, since I got out of a work day and had 2 free days, so of course it went down (didn't do any sports to give my body some rest), but yes the highest spike (in the last 7 days) was the day I felt most tired (and the beginning of the aching throat).

Even did the manual blood O2 measurement to see if it shows something, but it was fine with 99%.

So no idea what it was, definitely not a cold, with that I should have a running nose by now which I don't.