Anyone knows if there are plans to improve altimeter automatic calibration algorithm soon?

When manually calibrating altimeter using GPS it normally suggest a pretty accurate height the first seconds, however, when I start an activity with the barometer set on automatic the calibration is often far off. In my opinion manual and automatic calibration via GPS should yield the same results. A bit more sophisticad case logic in the automatic algorithm perhaps? :)

Further, I've currently been "54 m under water" for quite a while, including sleep at 14 m below sea level last night. A bit weird as I calibrated my watch inserting the correct height manually yesterday evening. Perhaps the above mentioned fix could solve some "underwater-problems" as well?

I have formerly had issues when my watch was stuck at 256 m below sea level after driving through a underwater tunnel. The solution then was to perform a hard reset, customer service also told me that an update for the altimeter algorithm was in beta testing.

• Similar to your example would be using barometer mode while running on extremely flat terrain where you know elevation change may only be a couple of feet.

True, I agree.

The settings wasn't there on F3, don't know for F5, but how did the F3 work? Like Auto is supposed to work on the F6 or like the altimeter setting?

• but how did the F3 work? Like Auto is supposed to work on the F6 or like the altimeter setting?

I never had the F3, so I'm not sure how it functioned.

• Keep in mind that auto-calibration outside activity will lead to an offset when you aren't sleeping on the ground floor! This is especially an issue for people who are living in large apartment buildings. They should disable this and do a manual calibration in the morning (enter your known height).

• Keep in mind that auto-calibration outside activity will lead to an offset when you aren't sleeping on the ground floor! This is especially an issue for people who are living in large apartment buildings. They should disable this and do a manual calibration in the morning...

• This is useful knowledge to how the automatic calibration work. However, a further specification need to be added and that is that in addition to having the Garmin Connect Mobile connection on, your phone also needs to give the app access to location at all times for this calibration to work. I have recently not had the continous location access on in my privacy setting, thus not yielding correct elevation. I have now turned this on in my privacy setting and the calibration is pretty much correct today. Thus, this seems to fix at least the problem that the altimeter has been generally off all the time for me lately. 

However, I still believe it would be beneficial if the automatic altimeter calibration also would perform a new GPS calibration whenever a new activity is started.