Sleep tracking is hilarious inaccurate

Everything seems to work decent on my Garmin Fenix 6, but the sleep tracking is inaccurate every night. I have the watch for 3 days and it shows 10, 12 or even 16 hours of sleep per night. Is it a firmware related problem? I have the last version installed. Should I make some changes on its settings? How can I fix that? 

• Hi Al, I loved your work in Scarface.

There isn't much you can change in the way of settings, although I would double check that your sleep hours are set to a timeframe that roughly matches your sleeping habits. I think the watch is less sensitive to sleep detection outside of your configured sleep hours, but I'm not totally sure on that.

Other than that, it might be related to your activity level before and after your sleeping. For example, if you watch 4 hours of movies on the couch before bed without really moving much, the watch tends to think you're sleeping.

All that said, sleep tracking is still a work-in-progress for Garmin, it's not perfect. I've found that it does a decent job of guessing my sleep times for the most part, with a few oddball days here and there.

• In my case, the sleep tracking isn't that bad but it doesn't seem to have much, if any, nuance.  Deep sleep always seems about the same, at the same time of night.  Could be true.  Or could be that Garmin's sleep tracking routines make a lot of assumptions.  Also, I had a mostly sleepless night a few days ago (laying awake in bed).  As far as the Fenix was concerned I was sleeping.  From what I hear, an oura ring (or even a fitbit) would pick up that I wasn't actually sleeping.  Given how critical sleep is turning out to be, it seems like they could do a lot better.  Maybe an Oura ring is in my future.

That said, generally really happy with the Fenix.

• The same problem, It is ridiculous that such an expensive watch can be so bad measuring sleep when it is something that makes any watch of 20 euros. Just in case it helps I've tested agains Samsung watch, huawei watch, nokia sleep monitoring and others... There is nothing like the accuracy of the samsung watch, then the nokia and huawei and then the rest.... and in the last position the garmin fenix 6 pro. the sleep tracking of this watch is really something I can't understand.

• Sleep is calculated somewhere on the servers after sync with Garmin Connect. You cannot really blame watch for this one. Watch provides good relatable data, but the servers are doing (very) poor job of converting it into sleep tracking.

• I'm seeing the same thing. Sometimes I see the watch has reported somewhat correct sleep detection at the first sync, but after refreshing the app it comes back way way off. Just last night I was awake until 01:30, sat in front of my computer. I have 4 stairs up to my bedroom and bathroom. The app / connect tells me I went to sleep at 23:30, even though I walked all those stairs, brushed my teeth and then went to bed at around 01:15. It's quite unfathomable how bad their implementation of sleep detection is.

• Yeah same here worst sleep tracking device i’ve ever had. Love the rest of the functionalities though. But sleeping is so important for recovery garmin needs to fix this asap. Also if sleep tracking is inaccurate then body battery will be too and some other metrics that use sleeping signals. Fix it garmin!!!!

• Same for me, sleep track really doesnt work at all...

• if sleep tracking is inaccurate then body battery will be too

That's not true. Body Battery does not use sleep tracking metrics whatsoever. As proof of this, your sleep metrics are not calculated by the watch, they are calculated by Garmin's servers after you do a sync - yet, body battery is updated on your watch in realtime.

It uses HRV stress. HRV stress happens to be low during sleep, which is why Body Battery recharges during sleep - but whether the watch thinks you're sleeping or not is irrelevant, because that does not change your HRV stress. So as long as the HRV stress metrics are accurate, then your Body Battery will be accurate, even if the sleep metrics are way off.

• Well, to be honest I also wasn't impressed by the sllep tracking but after the last update it has hugely improved and now it is really accurate.

• Same for me. But in my case I went to bet at 6am and woke up at 5 pm. The watch says I slept 8h31min when I actually had a 11h sleep. It says I woke up at 3:49 but I was in deep sleep then according to the graph. That would explain 1h missing. But where's the other 1.5h? Apparently 1.9h it says I was awake and substracts it too (even if I sleep like a log). And aprox 10-15 min are just lost on the way. Has anyone found a workaround for this?