Remove (or at least, shrink) map labels and icons?

I've downloaded an OSM map of Disneyland, and loaded it into my 6X. But the OSM map contains SOOOO many icons and labels, that I literally cannot even see the map. The whole screen is completely full of labels and icons.

Is there some way I can remove some (or all) of the labels and icons, or at least make them smaller, or maybe make them slightly transparent so I can still see the map behind them?

Here is what my map looks like when the zoom level displays the entire park:

And here's what it looks like when I've zoomed in to a smaller section of the park:

There is just WAAAAAAY too much data on the map, to the point that you can't even see the map anymore. Any ideas?

• Not in Garmin unless changing the detail setting will work. It’s perhaps something you might need to go back to the download site for the map and ask there.

• Detail setting didn't change anything, so I think you're correct that I need to somehow strip that information from the map file. Been spending the last hour trying to figure out how to do it, not having a lot of luck yet.

• So after 2 hours, now, of research... nearly all the software that has ever existed to make OSM maps works on garmins is defunct by now. I managed to find one program that *might* work, called Mapwel. It definitely lets you load in the OSM map and remove any unwanted stuff from it, but they charge $99 for the function that actually lets you load it onto the watch.... and there's no guarantee it'll even work right, and they don't appear to have any refund policy. So ya, not gonna happen.

I guess I'll re-visit this one again some other time, but for now it seems I am stuck using the Garmin base map at Disneyland, which is borderline useless for navigating the park, but better than nothing I suppose. One thing is certain, I definitely can't use that OSM map of disneyland with all those labels and garbage all over the place.

• Have you simply tried some different providers of OSM maps for Garmin Devices (loads are listed here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download)?  I've used a few on my F5+, MARQ and F6X PS for various countries around the world (admittedly not for Europe or USA as I have access to the Garmin TopoActive maps for there) and never seen that congested map view on any of those watches.  For a modest price I have found the talkytoaster maps (https://talkytoaster.me.uk/) to be good and the chap who runs the site is very responsive if you have issues with any of his (worldwide) maps loading properly on a Garmin device.

• Thank you, those tips have definitely pointed me in the right direction!

I downloaded a few different OSM maps from the providers in your first link, with mixed results, but they all still had too much garbage in them obscuring the map. The problem was that the OSM data contains SOOO much stuff for disneyland - literally every single toilet, ATM, and even every tree and light pole (not kidding) are contained in the OSM data, complete with labels. Which is probably great for large-screen GPS devices, but not great for a 1.4" watch screen.

Unfortunately, nobody seems to have generated an OSM map that strips the unnecessary stuff out, so I'd probably have to make it myself somehow, which is not something I have the time or patience for.

However, at your advice, I bought a TalkyToaster map of California (which is also my home state, so it's useful for more than just disneyland), and his version is MUCH cleaner. Far fewer unnecessary icons and labels. I'll post up some screenshot examples later. I think this solution will do the job well enough. Thanks again!

• You can probably change it in the typ file that is located inside img file and that describe all map signs.

I've done a lot of typ editing myself to get more visible map signs. Never tried the other way around...

• That is interesting, I had heard of TYP files but didn't realize there is one embedded in the IMG file. I'd be interested in digging into that further, is there a tool you recommend for extracting and editing the TYP file?

• I also usd these and TypWiz, too, but I am not an expert in this field. Not at all,  I just follow a sort of trial-and-error approach to get a result..

Recently I spent some time to increase the size of the street labels on all of my Garmin units with map display (60csx, Edge530 and Fenix6X).

I got the result I had defined before, both with 60csx and Edge530, It was enough to change the FontStyle of all the polylines from SmallFont to Defaults and set the size of street labels to Large on these two devices.

But not for Fenix 6X, because it lacks the option of size settings.

I checked the website of some map makers like OpenFietsMap and until now I found no solution for my Fenix 6X.

Is there any tricks, any FontStyle which is really so large by default that  Fenix 6X also displays it larger than both the factory maps and other OSM-based maps?   

• These are typically maps designed for Edge devices, which have much larger screens. Try another map. On the watch there might be a way to change text size but best is to get another map. There are various OSM map available.