Using course with custom course points, without Turn-By-Turn

I know this has been discussed and I've tried to use previous threads instructions unsuccessfully.

My current attempt:

1. Create track (Basecamp)
  2. Upload to Garmin Connect
  3. Add Course points
  4. Download as fit from garmin connect (This is what I read should work)
  5. Put in NewFiles folder on the watch using USB connection

When I follow the instructions above and start "Do Course" my next waypoint shown doesn't have a label and is 30 meters away whereas the custom point should be a few kilometers away and have a label.

I'm assuming the waypoint that don't have label is Course Points that Garmin Connect adds for Turn by Turn.

Is there a way to make this work with certainty??

Thanks!

• There is a much easier way.

If you setup course points on the track in Garmin Connect just send the track to your device by using a mobile phone.

No USB connection needed. I tried it a few times and it works!

• But you can't disable Turn-BY-Turn course points which means you will see the wrong "Distance To Next" values

• I have tried this as well and would really like to see a way to disable TBT navigation. I hanvt been able to fin any way to use distance to next, no matter how I import the course.I have even sent a bug to Garmin about it, bit hanvt gotten any feedback on it...

• puh.... Smiley you are right damn :D

for me it seems to be the best solution for all of these navigation and Waypoint Problems would be if Garmin will implement  three different kind of Points in ALL of them (GC, GE, BC)

1) normal Route Point /// Turn by Turn Navigation (with an option to disable it if not needed)

2) Waypoint  /// specific Waypoint on the Track for "Distance to next" on the device

3) custom POI /// for the Map-View or to navigate to them

I think that should solve all of our Problems, and you could plan a track in the way you want to.

• I thought also that the file copy to newfiles folder should work and that the tbt's were auto generated when choosing download to watch.

What I've tested and have worked for me is to create the course in Garmin Connect, then use the CIQ app GRouteLoader to download course by course number. Then I only got my own course points and not any auto generated tbt.

I tested this a couple of months ago, so there are possibilities that GC has changed its behavier. I use plotaroute for my daily need.

• Speaking with friends they confirmed me that before Connect did not send turn by turn point to devices with map but only to devices that had not maps (935, 735...). 

In my opinion is a bug and is better to write to all beta e-mails:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

• In Routing settings for the watch activity, have you set to 'Follow Course' or 'Use Map'?  The latter generates TBT with the annoying blue pins, the former doesn't.

• In Routing settings for the watch activity, have you set to 'Follow Course' or 'Use Map'?  The latter generates TBT with the annoying blue pins, the former doesn't.

Interesting, are you sure is not the opposite?

Because the map does not need to have turn by turn datas from the track because already have this information.

• You're right. topg is mixing 2 things:

1. When you're navigating a route (I.E -  a limited number of points, for fenix 6 it's 200 if i'm not mistaken) you should use "Use Map" which will create real time navigation between every point. You will receive TBT from the device in real time and "Next Waypoint" will actually be the real custom course points. If you use "Follow course" you will get a very crude navigation since the watch will connect points with long, straight lines.

2. When you're navigating a track (I.E - many points. Not sure the limit but at I saw 10,000 at some point) and these are usually calculated at creation time (By Garmin Connect, Basecamp, Plotaroute.com or which ever routing service you use) and you would expect to have a lot of close points, which is why you would want to use "Follow Course" (I tried, by mistake, to use "Use Map" with a track at some point and my device froze). Additionally, since the device is not calculating the route in real time, you will not have built-in TBT, that's why Garmin Connect generates these course points on the server and adds them to the course, which is what some of us would love to be able to disable.

Hope that explains things a little Slight smile

• Now I'm not sure what I'm actually confused about, which is not unusual  it must be said ;-)

In any case, creating a 'Course' via Garmin Connect and then sending it to the F6 via GC mobile, for me is only usable if 'Follow Course' is chosen rather than 'Use Map'. This is because of the hideous number of blue pins that it creates on the map making it unreadable, and doesn't show custom course points. This is different for some reason from creating a route between the same points on the watch map itself with 'Use Map' - that way I see the TBT directions without the blue pins.

Otherwise 'Follow Course' doesn't show the full TBT directions with arrows on the map. nor the text list of TBT directions, just the simpler turns icons/alerts in the info pane at the map bottom.  It does show custom course points though, and presents the same turns - without the 'Calculating ...' step. For some reason this is quite different from how, say, my Garmin 830 handles importing Courses. On the other hand, when hiking vs cycling I don't really need the full TBT with map overlays, so the simpler 'Follow Course' makes more sense. If I want an even simpler version, I just use Garmin Explorer to create a waypoint route instead - those are just straight lines between points