Need your advice for a Fenix 6x PRO solar

Hi,

I purchased a Fenix 5x Plus last year and I was very dissapointed by GPS accuracy, it was very, very bad and I could not train efficiently with it. After some months, I retruned it to be refunded. I was hoping a new firmware would resolve this problem but no improvment...

I am wondering about purchasing a Fenix 6X plus olar but I would like to have your feedback before.

- Is GPS accuracy better than the Fenix5X plus, do we still have the drunk man syndrom and some loops on the trace and is GPS accuracy doing well even when walking ? On the 5x Plus, at low speed, the GPS trace was very bad.

- What about Gorilla glass though ? Is is tough enough or do you have some scratches ?

- I am hesitating between the solar black and the silver one. Which one would you recommand ? I am affraid of the silver titanium scratchs. Do you think it can have more scratches than the black one ? It seems the silver version is more beautiful, is also your feeling ?

- Optical  HR : I was dissapointed with the one of Fenix 5X plus, there was always a delay betwwen the real value and the value on the watch (about 20 to 30 seconds), does it still exist on the 6x pro solar ? I read some issue winth the OHR recently but did it work well at the beginning ? Maybe it is just a bug that will be corrected.

Thanks for your help.

• Don't want to burst your bubble, but my 6x Sapphire's GPS track is as "good" as my former 5x Plus. Yes, when running or cycling, the GPS track is fine, no "booze" in it, but for walking, trailing is still no good (in my case).

As far as the screen, you can always put protection on it, 5€/$ on Amazon, eBay...

The HR (in my case) sometimes works normal, but sometimes I really don't trust it. For example, after the Strength training today, I disconnected my Polar H10 from my watch. The chest strap was showing me 138, but after disconnecting it, the OWHR was showing me 70-80 bpm, even after I've cleaned my wrist, the sensor and restarting the watch. For all day normal use, seems to work fine (I hope), but when training and right after training, not so good.

As far as the model you want, I think the Solar is available only in Titanium (no DLC coating), so prepare your self to see some scratches after a while, at least that is what I saw on groups and forums.

Hope that helps!

• Here is a 3.3km walk recorded with my 5X+, 6X Pro Solar and Polar V800. The 5X+ is the drunken track. The other two watches match very closely. I am happy with the 6X Pro Solar performance. Not so much with the 5X+. Even my F3HR is better than the 5X+.

Here is a heart rate comparison between wrist HR on my 6XPSo vs my TickR X HRM. It takes 3 minutes for the watch to settle, after which it tracks extremely closely for the rest of the 82 minute indoor bike ride.

Wrist heart rate might be a bit off during activity which is not recorded, just walking about or climbing stairs, but not dreadful in my experience. For serious sports tracking I would always use a chest strap.

• Is GPS accuracy better than the Fenix5X plus, do we still have the drunk man syndrom and some loops on the trace and is GPS accuracy doing well even when walking ? On the 5x Plus, at low speed, the GPS trace was very bad.

I’m very happy with the accuracy of mine as I don’tsee any major drifting or drunken tracks.

What about Gorilla glass though ? Is is tough enough or do you have some scratches ?

I always prefer Sapphire crystals so I put a screen protector on mine. I know Garmin doesn’t recommend it but I like the peace of mind of knowing that it’s protected. 

I am hesitating between the solar black and the silver one. Which one would you recommand ?

The Solar Dark Grey w/ DLC hold up pretty well.

I read some issue winth the OHR recently but did it work well at the beginning ?

Honestly, I don’t have any issues and it’s usually within 5 seconds. If people want an accurate HR, then wear a HRM.

• Difficile de vous orienter ,tout d'abord avez vous possédé une fenix ?

Le Solar titane est celle que j'ai choisi,parce que je possède la 5x,et 5x plus noire.

Le gorilla class est bien sûr moins résistant aux rayures , mais il est simple d'y posé un protège écran qui n'aura pas d'insistance sur la recharge solaire.

Le boîtier possède un revêtement, là aussi lorsque que vous courez en forêt des protections existent.(photo ci joint).

Pour le bracelet mettre en bracelet en silicone lors de vos sorties, bien meilleur pour le HR.

Le GPS ressemble beaucoup aux anciennes fenix mais assez de recul pour affirmé si c'est mieux ou moins bien.

A mon sens le Solar n'apporte pas grand chose en énergie.

Il faut choisir en fonction de votre premier coup de coeur.

• Thank you very much for all your answer and especially for French response ;-)

I am happy to see that drunk syndrom is not affecting the 6x PRO but I am affraid the trace will not be good enough while walking in urban area. Fenix 5x plus was good but only when speed was > 30 km/h.

I am reading that people are not speaking about using GPS + Galileo but only GPS with Glonass. I don't know why it is not used with Galileo... May be the firmware is not good enough...

The protecting case is a very good idea ! Thanks for the tips !

I don't know if the Titanium with DLC coating will be toughest than the siver one. 

Raull 77 : There are 2 versions :

https://buy.garmin.com/fr-FR/FR/p/641375

May be I will make a post to comprae different version of the 6X PRO solar.

• Buy the one you like the most. Think of that instead of scratching!! The 6X is a great watch, go ahead!

• Here’s something to think about....if you scratch the DLC coating, it will be very noticeable given the bare metal is a different colour to the coating. With the bare titanium model, small scratches will hardly be noticeable given they will be the same colour. This can give the watch character but also allows for them to be polished out easily.

I went for the bare titanium pro solar and am very happy with it.

• I use the watch for walking, hiking, running and cycling and wear it 24/7. I haven’t tested in urban areas but the GPS track seems pretty spot on across all activities, this is with one second recording. Compared with my edge 1030 when cycling it pretty much matches up exactly. 

I have the sapphire as I did with my 3hr and both watches have never shown a scratch on the glass. I have never used a protector.

Cant comment on the silver version as I have the black dlc coating. The 3 hr had some very small rubs on the bezel if you looked closely. I don’t have any issues with the 6x

Although some have reported issues with the optical hr, mine on version 5 seems quite accurate and although I haven’t  done a direct comparison to my chest strap. When I run it displays a heart rate comparable to when I wear the strap.

Overall I am very pleased with the watch, I haven’t found any bugs or complaints in what I use the watch for. Music plays well, syncs to my pro beats flawlessly, and all,other metrics display correctly as far as I can tell.

Good luck and hope this helps.

• I read that some models are having backlight issue. It seems that some serial number are having some backlight issues...

I am affraid Garmin quality problem are unfortunately still present on this version... 

I don't know why at this level of price Garmin in not making more effort to have a reliable firmware and hardware. They could have the better watch in the word if they bring more attention to their product. Everything is in this watch, they don't need to add more functions, (just adding maybe ECG capability in the future or esim) but at first just making a precise and reliable watch.

• I read that some models are having backlight issue.

To be precise, some people believe they have backlight issues.