Anyone STILL having heart rate accuracy issues with their Fenix 6?

Hi all,

Super frustrated, but I am still having issues with my Fenix 6S and heart rate accuracy even with the 4.20 software update. I'm wondering if it's just me or what the deal is? I had a 5S Plus before this and had no issues doing the same activities so I really don't think it's user error. My heart rate hardly reads over 110 during really vigorous exercise when my heart rate is closer to 160+. I have tried wearing on the inside of my wrist, tried my other wrist with no luck. It consistently reads 80-110 bpm the whole time. I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade if I knew this was going to be an issue. I know that wearing a chest strap is the most accurate, but I don't like to have to wear it for all of my work outs and my old Fenix was totally fine as well as my apple watch before that. Any suggestions? 

• Not really, in my test, i had the watch a little higher on my forearm and tight. One of the example is i had the 6S on my left and a polar V on the right. I did a spin workout on a bike. I did not start any activity on both watches so i have to press a button to be able to see the current HR. Everything worked well for 2-25 mn. Very pleased. I was at 140 on both watches the suddenly the 6S drops to 80 and never goes back up. Then it the middle of the workout without moving the watch or anything else, i start a bike activity. The hr jumps to 140. I spin 5 more mn, everything agrees with the chest strap hooked to to the bike and the WHR on polar. Then i turn off the activity. Goes back to 80. When i spin, arms are not really moving like if i was running. So there is no cadence involved or anything else. I doubt the weight of the watch has any impact here. When i got the 245, i tried the same test and it behaved fine.I'd be tempted to get another one taht they are on sale now but i have a feeling that maybe in May a new model may come out. Maybe not.

• drops to 80 and never goes back up.

I published both videos in January with my then f6x.

The trainer was coupled with a chest strap. Fenix WHR.

Unfortunately I had to lower the quality so that the video file doesn't get too big:

i start a bike activity. The hr jumps to 140

If you are interested, you can look further below in my post 9 months ago. I did a 30 minute test on the trainer. I was on an HR of 170-190 for a full 30 minutes. I had purposely not started an activity profile on the watch. While my trainer with the chest strap and the OH1 recorded the HR very immediately, the f6x WHR stayed at max 110 and then went back to 90 and did not come up again. No arm movements worth mentioning.

That as a further basis of dispute for you. For me, the subject is over....

For the moment ;)

My contribution here received +23 consents. I was amazed that there are so many.: 

forums.garmin.com/.../1014420

• i still have problems in Hiking activity. HR jumps all over the place. But is is quite correct in walk activity for me.

• I've finally given up on my Fenix 6x pro OHR. I had no issues upto version 10 software but since then progressively worse. Latest is I bit the bullet and did a full reset and erase. Installed only the items I needed including the HR Delta data screen. Went for a power walks with a chest strap and the wrist OHR. Started ok then at about 2 miles the wrist strap read progressively higher until it was 40-50 beats above the chest strap and a confirmation by physical pulse measurement. Went for a run afterwards and saw the opposite, the chest strap read as I would expect on the run and the study OHR read lots by upto 20 beats. Will wait for the next software and if no not will consider a return. A shame as I've been using Garmin since their early days.

• Working fine for me. It's different for everyone but it may be due to skin pigment or the size of the wrist or blood vessel visibility, etc. 

• I could understand the variations but when the changes occur after a software issue with no other changes then i would tend to believe it's the software and not the hardware or environmental factors.

• I couldn't agree more - the watch was fine for 1 1/2 years, so its definitely a software issue which was introduced in one of the recent firmware updates.

Very frustrating - for running it is OK to wear a chest-strap, but for inner-city bike-commuting for instance a chest strap is not an option. So in essence I can only log run activities, but logging any other activity seriously screws up work load, intensity minutes, max hear rate etc etc. Not happy.

• I have a new Fenix (pro) w the latest firmware and still have this issue.  Only way I know to resolve is to reset before running (doesn't always work) and/or I watch while I'm running.  when the issue arrises, I turn off the heart monitor and back on - have to do this twice sometimes.  I save the run for later so I can see if the monitor resets or not - once it resets I seem to be good.  I seemingly have to do this on most every run.

• Always wondered what advice Suunto were giving about wrist heart rate. Turns out remarkable similar to everyone else:

https://www.suunto.com/en-nz/Content-pages/what-should-you-know-about-wrist-heart-rate2/

• I have the opposite challenge with my 5. Especially kayaking and static bike, where I would easily be at 130-140bpm with a strap but wrist only has it at 100bpm. Very frustrating when you've done an upper threshold effort and HR says you were barely into aerobic zone. Frustrating - I don't trust the watch to record accurately without HR strap, which was why I went for the Fenix. Disappointing really