rowing machines with Fenix 6X

I'm contemplating getting a rowing machine and most likely model is a Concept2 model D or E.

One important factor is how well a machine will communicate with my Fenix 6X and how well data can get into the Garmin Connect app.  I'd like to get the rowing data integrated with my running and cycling for a complete fitness picture.

Any experience or advice.  I use Garmin for running, cycling and swimming with a full complement of Fenix 6X, Edge 1030, CT golf censors, etc. but I'm absolutely new to rowing.

Main driver is I want a better whole body workout than running and cycling that mostly uses the legs.

• I own and use a Concept II Model D with the PM5 Monitor - latest software.  The Concept II can not communicate with the fenix 6 series of watches.  If you really want to capture all the data available from the Concept II, then you should buy a Garmin 910XT (about US$ 150) or even a 310XT (about US$ 75).  Those two watches will sync to the Concept II using ANT+ FE protocol, all the data from the Concept II will be entered into an activity on the watch which can then be sync'd to Garmin Connect (Web) through Garmin Express.

Probably not the answer you're hoping for, but it is relatively inexpensive and keeps all your exercise data in the Garmin ecosphere.  Since your rowing ergometer is a stationary piece of exercise equipment, it's really not inconvenient to strap on a different watch just for rowing.

HTH

Please see Messner's post and my post below about using the ErgData App to transfer Erg workout data painlessly to Garmin Connect - easy and free!

• I have the Concept2 PM5 and I love it. I have the Fenix 5X watch,  I start the Concept Ergdata app on my phone and after the session I send the data to Concept 2 online log book that syncs to Garmin connect, if I remember correct. I can probably not se al data. This will not ad to the training load, so some use the rowing on the watch and delete it afterwards to get training load. Sometimes I use the function HR broadcasting, then I can see my HR on the Concept 2 PM5 monitor. If I remember correctly it works like this. 

• Gaijin’s suggestion of the old FR 310XT or 910XT is the only way to get the fully integrated experience. But there are some alternatives that may meet enough of your needs.

First is using the ErgIQ CIQ app https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/2fc7c56b-f7f8-4fc4-b92e-8d3bde99f693#0 it’s not a native activity app, so there are integration issues with some third party fitness analysis platforms, and you have to be on a C2 Rower with a PM5 computer and updated to the latest firmware from C2 (this is where I come unstuck, as gyms often don’t bother with the software updates).

So the other option (least satisfactory, but workable) that I live with, is to record indoor rows using the native indoor rowing app on the watch; but do use a HR chest strap, as the WHR simply can’t cope with the wrist flexure from rowing. The native app will record HR, stroke rate, calories and contribute to training status and recovery advisor. As soon as the activity is uploaded to Connect, I then edit the activity (either on the Connect website or in the GCM app) and enter the distance; that at least makes things look OK in the totals in GCM. The things you are missing still are pace and power graphs though.

if you want to add to the countless others of us who have appealed to Garmin to put the ANT+ FE integration back in to watches from the last 6 years, then please feel free to post as many times as possible in the ideas portal (they do monitor submissions here and it has brought change in the past) www.garmin.com/.../

• The concept2 communicate with the 910 310 610 using ant+ fe protocol not the fe-c

The fe-c is used to communicate with erg iq app

• Right you are - corrected my post.

• Great info, thanks for posting!  I was unaware of this added functionality to the Concept2 LogBook.  I tried it this morning with my BikeErg and it works like a charm - since my Rowing Erg has the same model PM5, I fully anticipate it will work as well with rowing workouts.  All data was sent to the C2 LogBook and then to Garmin Connect automatically.  Data showed up on my phone in Garmin Connect Mobile a few seconds later.  Once set up, this really is a painless way to transfer Erg workouts to Garmin Connect.

You, sir, have made my life better!

• Well... Yes but if you only use the phone app you will not get any training load and the other metrics. So you also need to start the native rowing app on the watch. That creates two activities and you have edit it later.

It is a shame that Garmin ignores Concept2 and Concept2 ignores Garmin.

• I agree, this lack of concept 2 integration is stopping me from purchasing a Garmin Watch.