Fenix 6 Titanium scratches

Hi there, I am a Fenix user since F3 and I owned a F3 for almost 3 years than a F5 X Plus for about a year but it was too big and heavy for my wrist. Last friday I get the Fenix 6 titanium cause I wanted a durable and scratch resistant watch but after 5 days I have got this as seen on the picture. On my F3 after 3 years there was no scratches like this and neither on my F5 x Plust (black bezel)...I was doing a lot of trailrunning, climbing, etc with them. With the new one only a few walks (due to my motorcycle accident an later heavy complications I still cant run). Is this normal for a 900€ watch? I was choosing between the F6 Sapphire and the Titanium one...if I know that I would rather go with a Sapphire one, it is 100€ cheaper. Is this normal ?

• You can buff out some scratches on titanium. Get a titanium finishing pad from eBay, something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163075886347

• Yes, it's normal. The fact that a watch is expensive doesn't make it scratchproof. Look at the scratches as patina. It shows that you're out there using the watch as it's supposed to be used. Don't be one of those guys who buys a Land Rover Defender and then waxes it every weekend. If that still bothers you, remember that realistically, this is not a forever watch (imagine how stressed people get scratching a new mechanical watch that costs 8x as much and doesn't depreciate). Consumer electronics get outdated and replaced within a few years. 

Also, titanium scratches do fade over time as the titanium oxidizes. 

• I could write exactly the same story as you: came from 5x Plus, now owner of a F6 Ti and I already have the first scratches on the bezel...

Titanium is lighter, but also much softer then steel. I know, as I like the material but had scratches in very expensive Titanium mechanical watches Sob

You can rub some of that out, but there’s a certain risk that things get worse. 

You can also wait. It’s true that Ti oxides, but in my experience that effect is minimal in the life span of a Fenix. You will probably see nothing. 

Try to ignore, have fun with a very light watch. You are probably the only person to ever see the scratches...

• Titanium is actually easier to scratch than Stainless Steel. When Titanium is scratched it removes a layer of oxidation from the surface making it more visible than usual. Fortunately Titanium can be buffed and re-surfaced to hide these scratches. That said, the Sapphire DLC Gray version would be a much more durable choice but it's also a bit heavier.

• Yeah I had a scratch before I even put the thing on for the first time. I couldn't believe it, but I went into this knowing titanium scratches easily. I now have several scratches and I haven't don't anything aggressive at all, except a few runs and wearing it to work (desk job). I purchased a titanium scratch kit and I'll see how well it works. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to scottj2

Nerd... office work is the problem!!!!....Grinning

hi all,

Titanium surface is softer than the steel surface.

DLC adds a degree of scratch resistance.

but...Titanium is as well "self-healing" ...in time you will see the scratches will not be so obvious...

I owned a lot of titanium watches...and all had signs of wear....I would not worry too much.

I like titanium because is warm in the winter ...not cold as the steel feels.

and now I have the pro solar, titanium DLC...

just me,

robert

• Yeah I had a scratch before I even put the thing on for the first time. I couldn't believe it, but I went into this knowing titanium scratches easily. I now have several scratches and I haven't don't anything aggressive at all, except a few runs and wearing it to work (desk job).

Jeeze, that doesn't sound fun. I have never had a titanium watch before, but I've had enough other titanium things to know that it's not nearly as durable as stainless steel. In terms of getting scuffs and scratches, it's similar to aluminum. In other words, it'll scratch basically every time you accidentally bump or rub your watch against something. It's very lightweight, however, which is supposed to be its main selling point - but some people are buying it mostly because they prefer the appearance of it, and I think that's a mistake, because the good looks won't last very long with normal daily wear and tear. Arguably, it might still look good to some people even with scratches and scuffs, like it's "broken in", or has character. But if you don't want that look, I'd steer clear of titanium jewelry.

I think Garmin intended for the Titanium to be a lightweight alternative to stainless, and I believe the people who chose titanium models more for the looks than for the functional benefits will laregly end up with buyer's remorse.

The best choice if you want the silver appearance AND good scratch resistance would be un-coated stainless steel, but unfortunately that's not one of the available choices for the Fenix 6 lineup right now.

• Yeah, for sure. I knew titanium would scratch easily. I got it for the weight, and because I hoped it would hide scratches better than my black Fenix 5, which is pretty beat up. I actually prefer the look of black to be honest. 

We'll see how well it hold up over time and how well the scratch removal kit works. I'll let you all know tomorrow. 

• The thing is that I get the scratches from doing noting just a quick walk...The new Fenix was a "motivation" for my new start from being inactive from February till now due to my motorcycle accident followed by thrombosis and pulmonary embolism...and I was surprised scratches from nothing...and I couldn`t imagine what could it be if doing the same sports and home work as before the accident (climbing, swimming, cycling, trail running, running, etc etc). I don`t care about battle wounds during activity but not from just a walk and doing nothing. Thanks for the explanation.