Torn between 945 and Fenix 6 (upgrading from 735xt)

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade from my trusty 735xt.  90% of my activity is running based.

The 945 was a shoe-in as the natural choice, but now that the Fenix 6 is out, I'm a bit conflicted.

For the Pro Fenix 6, I love how the screen takes up more of the real estate of the watch (i.e. smaller bezel).  That and how it generally looks a little bit classier (although I'm not hung up about this particularly).

However, the increased weight is my only concern.  Are there any mostly runners here that have switched to the Fenix from a Forerunner?  How did you find the increased weight, both in running and day to day wear?

Thanks!

• Good morning!  I am mostly a runner and switched from the 945 after having to get two replacements for button issues and pulse ox/heart rate sensor issues. I couldn’t be happier with the switch - the Fenix is faster, more accurate and looks a ton better than the Forerunner. While I did enjoy the lightness of the 945, the other issues and smaller screen make it feel out of date looking back now. The Fenix 6 Pro is the model I have, and while it is most certainly heavier, I’ve learned that if I just wear it tighter when I run, I hardly notice the increased weight. I don’t miss out on any of the metrics from the 945 either.  I would recommend the switch, but to the pro model so you don’t lose any music/WiFi functionality.  

• I switched from the 645 to F6 titanium sapphire with the orange strap. The watch is noticeably heavier/bulkier but I ran a 5k race with it on Saturday and didn’t have any issues with weight or size. 

Depending on how critical the daily use of the watch is I would recommend waiting a few weeks for some of the issues to be resolved. Eg OHR sensor not always recording heart rate, limited watch faces and 3rd party apps. 

I chose the F6 over the 945 as I found the bezel size on the 945 compared to screen size to not be pleasing. 

TheSalamander

• Yes it weighs more but you will get used to it as it is not drastic when it comes down to it. Personal opinion of course and I am coming from a 935. 

• Yeah, I also went from a 645 to a 5 plus, and it took me about a week or so to get used to the extra weight where I no longer noticed it.  I upgraded because I was sick of killing Forerunners (the 645 case literally disintegrated to the point where the socket that held one of the band pins in split in half!).    For me it was annoying spending the extra money just to get a watch chassis that isn't el cheapo plastic and has mushy buttons, but the Garmin stuff has no peer IMO.  

• I switched from a 945 to F6 Pro and I quickly got used to the weight.  The only time I feel the weight is actually when I am not running.  Being a watch geek, I like to feel the heft of watches on my wrist, makes me feel better about spending so much money on fancy watches!  

• I have been using a 935 for several years. tried the 945, but the button issue was not tolerable. now with a 6 pro and happy with it. Feels higher quality, the buttons are rock solid! Definitely, you feel the extra weight. So far with mostly cycling it hasn't been an issue. 

• I've never really understood why people go from a 735/645 to a Fenix 6, or even Forerunner 945. You are effectively going from 42mm to 47mm. Buy the watch that fits your wrist, otherwise it will look stupid (although that is just my opinion).

If you have a small wrist and want to stay with a 42mm case size, go for the Fenix 6S. I have the F6S Sapphire and it is a great bit of kit. Weight is a non-issue as it's only 60g, just 20 grams more than your 735. But I would not want any more weight - for me 60g the upper comfort limit for running. The weight of the watch, and how comfortable it will feel for sports use, will be relative to your body size. An 83g Fenix 6 Pro might feel light on the wrist of a 15 stone guy who mostly works out in the gym, but will feel like a pendulum on the wrist of a skinny 10 stone elite marathon runner.

The design of the Fenix 6S has improved since the Fenix 5S/5S+ with smaller lugs, reduced thickness and lower weight. I disliked the design of the Fenix 5S, but the 6S is very nice timepiece indeed and is still comfortable even for high intensity track intervals. You will notice a big improvement over the 735 on build quality, not just features. The 735 is cheap and very plastic with spongy buttons; the Fenix 6 is the opposite.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Honestly, I'd opt for the 945 and then spend the money I've saved on TrainingPeaks plans Smile

• I think different people are coming from different places on this. For me my 645M was my first running watch and I don't do multisport. I am 11 stone/70kg and run 6-7 days a week now. At the time the 645M was a good choice.

Now though I want some of the new metrics/features that Garmin are providing e.g. Body Battery, PacePro etc as well as secondarily the extra battery life would be nice. As I am running consistently every week I am happy to splurge a bit more money as I am getting more use from it. So my options are:

1. Go for 945 - I almost did but found it too plasticy and I didn't like the small screen relative to the diameter of the watch even though it fits well enough on my wrist.

2. Wait for the 655 - presumably will be another 6 months. Probably the most sensible choice for me as I don't do multisport/hiking but I am impatient ;-) 

3. Go for the Fenix 6/6S Pro - if I am going this route then I'm fine going for the 6 Pro to get the slight extra larger screen size for the same price and can accept the bit of extra weight. It fits me fine. The 6S Pro also fits ok so it is just personal choice.

TheSalamander

• Yes, to clarify, an upgrade for me is about the new features. So, from the 735xt, the direction of travel is the 945 or Fenix 6 now, unless I am missing one.

735xt is 44mm.  I'm not wedded to that size and would be happy to try something bigger. Whether it looks right, or is too heavy, will be a judgement call when I wear it.  I am interested in all of your opinions though!

Like some others, the fact that there is empty space around the screen on the 945, compared to the Fenix, is now very noticeable to me when comparing!