Two Sapphire Fenix 6 Pro’s, backlight / contrast issues

I bought two fenix 6’s today, both are the Carbon grey DLC coated with sapphire glass.

Have a look at these photos, my wife's is on the left hand side and mine the right. Her looks very yellow compared to mine which looks far crisper and sharper. Both have backlight set to 50%. 

Any thoughts on if there’s a setting other than backlight that could cause this before I go back to the shop where I bought them?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 4653192

Yup. I bet that watch is just fine.

Here is mine. Same image and one adjusted to what my eye sees...

• Still looks a lot blue compared to the one George got just recently which is pure black with absolutely no blue tint with S/N 63407 compared to 6340for the one I posted. I still think its faulty.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 4653192

Well if you think mine is defective then I think you are being too picky, but that is just my opinion. I compared this to my old fenix 5x that I gave to a friend, and it looks way better than the 5x. And I never had a problem with the 5x backlight.

I still stand by what i said before that there are going to be differences in the backlight, but as long as it within spec it should not be considered a defect.

JMO though.

• I still stand by what i said before that there are going to be differences in the backlight, but as long as it within spec it should not be considered a defect.

JMO though.

I respect that. I'll just keep hunting for a unit with a black backlight now that I know that they have been released. 

• Long time fenix user here. I've been mirroring all the discussions regarding displays and backlight, but this is the first time I write something about it.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the different displays are definitely an issue affecting some users. I compared my blue/pink tinted display to a friends and units in the store and the difference is realy obvious once you see it side by side. Contacted support in Germany and they send me an exchange watch in less than a week. The new one has a flawless display with much nicer colors and contrast.

If you feel you got one of the bad displays my suggestion would be to check it against another unit in a shop. Then you can decide wether to contact Garmin and send them your device if it's faulty. Can't say anything bad about Garmin support here in Germany. They always helped me if I had an issue with a Garmin device.

While I get that some users thought it was unnecessary to open various threads I'm still glad that people pointed this issue out as I would have propably not noticed there were better and worse displays. What I don't get is why some users aparently not afected by the issue started making fun of or insulted the users discussing it. If you're not affected by an issue just ignore the thread. And Garmin realy doesn't need fanboys to defend it against justified customer complaints IMHO.

Hope everyone ends up with a good device and we stay civil and continue to help each other in this forum!

• Thanks for the post. Can you please share your model? Is it a F6x? It would be great if you shared the S/N of the faulty one and the replacement with the black screen so that others looking to buy know what S/N to look for and which to avoid. Much appreciated.

• Sure! Fenix 6 Sapphire. The faulty one had: 63N006... , the new one 63N109...

• Possible to share pics of your good display both in dark and in room lighting? Curious if you have any pink/blue tones in your white colors with backlight on? Thanks!