Sapphire vs. Glass Screen Protector?

Am I missing something? Why would I purchase a sapphire crystal watch (+$100.00 6x pro) over a $5 glass screen protector, especially in 'light' of the fact the sapphire model permanently reduces screen clarity and light transmission? Bragging rights?

• I had the Fenix 5X sapphire and I still put a screen protector on it. I definitely think it was unnecessary but it gave me some peace of mind. Now I’m really struggling with choosing between the Pro or Sapphire one. I’m thinking since the F6 has a thick bezel I shouldn’t worry too much about having CGG3 instead of sapphire but if I were to somehow hit the watch directly on the glass would you sapphire be much better with impact protection?

• The first scratch I see on my Sapphire I'm putting a tempered glass protector on.

• I hit (by accident) my Saphire a few times against metal and concrete, not a scratch, but that doesn't really say anything about what wold have happend with a Gorilla.

• I'm a little disappointed the 6X Pro Solar Ti doesn't have a sapphire crystal.  I also understand a sapphire crystal won't allow the solar charging either.  Not knowing the difference in hardness and "scratchability" of the gorilla glass, I'll probably opt for a screen protector as I definitely don't want any scratches on my watch face.  I do, however, love the look of the 6X Pro Solar Ti.  A larger, kind of dressy watch with the Ti bracelet, that can quickly transition into a training watch.  I'll probably wear the Ti bracelet during work and keep the orange silicone band in my gym bag.

• Dx is a coating on the glass (probably not on the top) that reduces reflection and improves contrast. DX+ is additionally more scratch resistant. Ray says in the comments that he got Garmin to confirm that the solar is DX. I'm hopeful there was miscommunication and it is actually dx+. We'll probably not really only till the corning page is updated. 

Safety and assistance requires a smartphone connection. Someone needs to work the product page a little. No other was to send the bat signal with the 6 (unless you have an inReach mini handy). 

• I have a screen protector on my F6X Solar and it does not appear to affect the charging at all. Was outside most of the day today and was getting 100% intensity for much of the time according to the graph widget. 

• Sapphire is a LOT harder AND tougher.  You can BREAK (shatter) Gorilla glass.  Virtually all smartphone screens are Gorilla glass these days and they break all the time -- impact them on a sharp object of sufficient hardness and it may shatter; it's a tempering process.

If you break a sapphire crystal I would like to see what your wrist looks like.

• I have been using the Fenix 3 with sapphire for 4 years and I would not consider buying a high end outdoor watch without the sapphire glass.

The sapphire crystal on my 4 year old watch still doesn't have a scratch or a mark, and it has been bumped against rocks, trees, metal, concrete, etc. I have used it for running, mountaineering, hiking, mountain biking.

The Gorilla Glass 5 on my 2 year old phone has a lot of small scratches from simple daily use. I don't want to put a cheap screen protector on a $700 watch, that is my reason for paying $100 more.

• While the solar version is great, the incremental amount of solar charge you get, doesn’t outweigh  the durability of sapphire.  When you consider the 6x Pro will stay charged up to 21 days, getting another 3 hours because of the solar capabilities seems very insignificant. Good thing I ordered the sapphire direct from Garmin. My solar will go back to Best Buy as soon as my sapphire arrives Tuesday.  Overall I like the new 6x Pro. Without question huge upgrade from my 5x plus and best smartwatch ever!!

• For me the weight difference of the two models is significant, so I've ordered the Solar.

I'm use to watches with little or no glass protection. So Gorilla glass DX is great, also prefer the the screen with the less reflection and better clarity over sapphire.

Just jegging to wait a few weeks for stock is killing me.