This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Probably my last Garmin

Well, there's a turn for the books. I've been vocal in the past defending Garmin but as people have noticed I've been largely silent on the forums. I've been busy, using my Fenix 5x+, and rapidly coming to the conclusion I'd have probably been better off buying the Suunto 9 for my needs. In fact, my plan is to start saving throughout 2020 to see how Suunto do with a replacement for the 9 and to be honest if it comes with maps I'll be all over it like a bad rash.

The decision is multi-fold, and is based on

Perception of Value.

Look at the Forerunner 245 First beat page at https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-product/garmin/forerunner-245/ - it has 11 Firstbeat Metrics. I have a 5x+, and their page lists (https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-product/garmin/fenix-5-plus/) 12. So I paid 3 times as much fo a watch whose feature set is not matched by it's perceived value. And add in tthe fact the 245/945 have seen a large degree of firmware changes over the period since their launch. Compare that to the f5+ series where new features have been largely absent.

For those of us who bought the F5+ series, we bought what we perceived as a premium brand. Especially the x+. But I think this iteration of the Fenix was only ever meant to be a stopgap to get them to the 6, and to be honestif Garmin are going to a more rapid turnover of iterations of the Fenix - this problem will only get worse.

It's obvious the 5+ series is now legacy. If you CAN get an answer from Garmin (via Twitter, or other social media) you get a boilerplate reply that "we're unsure of future plans, please email our customer idea's team at [email protected]" - an email address that seems to pipe to /dev/null for all I can tell as I've never had an answer. But that leads to plausible doubt, because A definite answer that "Sorry no new features will be backported to the plus series" will annoy people.

For a premium watch, even if the new UI changes didn't come - body battery, PacePro and the like should be on a premium device.

Looking at the recent S9 update notes we see

This update brings new features, added performance enhancements as well as some fixes

New features

• Fitness level estimation from running and walking sports (VO2Max)
  • Sleep quality assessment
  • Stress level and body resources graph
  • Automatically adjusted time zone from Suunto app

Enhancements and fixes

• In watch guidance tips for altitude and first exercise to help get the best performance from your watch
  • Improved GPS tracking accuracy with new GPS firmware

If Suunto can add new Firstbeat metrics to existing watches, it sort of blows out of the water the excuse that the metrics can't be licensed to existing devices.

The one new 'feature' of the 5x+ is the SpO2 sensor. Well, to be honest if you told me it was a red led linked to a random number generator I'd believe you. The ONLY thing it links into is sleep tracking, and in my tests the only difference between having it on and off during sleep tracking is you get better battery life when it's off!

And battery life, while good, is not really what they promise. And looking at what Suunto is doing with FusedTrack really is turning my head

Perception of life.

9.74. Oh boy where do I start. I don't care that it was a beta, someone at Q&A was asleep at the wheel when they launched a firmware (beta or not) whose core functionality was so radically broken it predicted relativistic running stats.If I was a Q&A manager I'd be looking at sacking people for allowing that out. How the hell didn't anyone actually test that running (for a running watch) was broken!

Perhaps this explains why their seems to be no new features coming to the 5+ series if they're having difficulties keeping the core functionality working..

One common perception with Garmin's was it was worth buying the previous generation as the software was better baked compare to the newer ones but looking at the 6 forums it's no better there. And the only 6 I fancy, the 6x Solar, is seemingly unavailable. Battery life is the thing for me as I do longer and longer distances and even with the clusterf*** of software issues Suunto have with SportstrackerMovescount the fact is the last S(baro firmware update did bake in new features they'd introduced to the S3 and 5, and even Polar have added new features.

Confusing product line

Adding this as I forgot. A work colleague asked me for advice on what Garmin to buy. They were confused and had read about 35, 45 ,245, 235, Vivoactive, 645, 735... in the end we brainstormed but in her own words, she bought a Polar Ignite as it was clear what it did.

Garmin really need to look at clearing tne lines a little and looking at the confusion. Is the 645 better than the 245 she asked? Well, yes and no... You can understand the confusion

So my plan is to save as I said, and in 2020 see where Suunto are in comaprison to Garmin.

It's even more galling for me as I've argued with many forum members (forerunner springs to mind mate!) and then to find I actually agree with them. I'm coming to the conclusion that next year I'll buy something like a Huawei Watch GT 2 for day to day steps,247 HR and then a Suunto 9 for actually training and races. The only true thing I'll miss is maps but thats what a handheld GPS can do, or my phone which has a massive battery and I now have a wireless 8000mah powerbank to take with me on long runs/races

• Actually, they made a choice that they wanted to do it but, for whatever reason, they were unable to make it work despite trying to and then removed it from the app and Garmin Connect. So it’s not working at they intended. Nor as they think it should. It’s working as they settled for after they decided not to try anymore. Suggesting they made a choice not to is like me claiming I have made a choice nor to run a sub-3 hour marathon...

So, we will have to agree to disagree on the “all use cases” comment. That’s been Garmin’s stock excuse for lots of things when they don’t want to listen to their customers. The only counter I’ll make is that every single other strength training app, without exception, shows kg’s to one decimal place. So this isn’t exactly an outlandish, unique, individual use case. Suggesting it is is disingenuous IMO. 

• I wasn't planning on making this little dispute to go on and on forever, but I have to make one final comment:

If they left it with the non-working decimals I would agree that it was broken. But they didn't; Instead they went back to something that was working again by removing the decimals.

Would it add value (for some) to have (working) decimals? Certainly.
    Is it rocket science to add decimals? Probably not.
    Is the current solution broken? No.

• I don’t feel it’s a dispute to be honest. Discussion perhaps. I don’t think either of us are heated. But irrespective of that, I think the situation is clear. If the device had similar inaccuracy in a metric you cared about, I suspect you would take the view that it was broken.

I’m glad you’re entirely happy with your device. I’m only content with mine. But I think the point of this whole thread stands; you picked out one example and have tried to minimise it as a minority use case (“(some)”). Glossing over things which are so clearly substandard by labelling them as “not broken” does Garmin no favours IMO. It encourages further complacency and further drop in standards. As a consumer, I will invest in the products of businesses that strive for excellence, not put their efforts into justifying, and deflecting from, failure.

• Example in point for a watch a 1/3rd of the price

Forerunner 245

Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.77:

Add Garmin Swim 2 Features: advanced swim workouts, auto rest

Added all-day respiration, respiration widget, and breathwork activity

Improved treadmill calibration

Added Pilates

Various fixes and improvements

• My point is simply:

FR245/945/F6 are current models. FR935/F5/F5+ are previous models.

I think the problem here is that FR9xx models tend to stay current models for much longer than the Fenix models do:

FR910 was released in 2011. During the following 8 years it has received 3 model updates: 920, 935 and 945.

Fenix was released in 2012. During the following 7 years, it has received 6 model updates (not counting all the special versions): Fenix 2, Fenix 3, Fenix 3HR, Fenix 5, Fenix 5+ and Fenix 6.

So if you buy a new watch on the date it is released, a Fenix will stay current for less than half the time of a Forerunner 9xx. 

If Garmin only add new functionality while a watch model is current, then you basically pay more for a Fenix, and in return you receive new functionality for less than half the time.

I guess that we Fenix buyers will see the light at some time and start buying FR9xx watches instead. If Garmin want to prevent that - because they probably have a higher profit on the Fenix watches - they could consider changing their software update policy, so they instead keep the latest two Fenix models updated with new features. This will more or less result in the same "update lifetime" as for the FR9xx models.