This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Probably my last Garmin

Well, there's a turn for the books. I've been vocal in the past defending Garmin but as people have noticed I've been largely silent on the forums. I've been busy, using my Fenix 5x+, and rapidly coming to the conclusion I'd have probably been better off buying the Suunto 9 for my needs. In fact, my plan is to start saving throughout 2020 to see how Suunto do with a replacement for the 9 and to be honest if it comes with maps I'll be all over it like a bad rash.

The decision is multi-fold, and is based on

Perception of Value.

Look at the Forerunner 245 First beat page at https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-product/garmin/forerunner-245/ - it has 11 Firstbeat Metrics. I have a 5x+, and their page lists (https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-product/garmin/fenix-5-plus/) 12. So I paid 3 times as much fo a watch whose feature set is not matched by it's perceived value. And add in tthe fact the 245/945 have seen a large degree of firmware changes over the period since their launch. Compare that to the f5+ series where new features have been largely absent.

For those of us who bought the F5+ series, we bought what we perceived as a premium brand. Especially the x+. But I think this iteration of the Fenix was only ever meant to be a stopgap to get them to the 6, and to be honestif Garmin are going to a more rapid turnover of iterations of the Fenix - this problem will only get worse.

It's obvious the 5+ series is now legacy. If you CAN get an answer from Garmin (via Twitter, or other social media) you get a boilerplate reply that "we're unsure of future plans, please email our customer idea's team at [email protected]" - an email address that seems to pipe to /dev/null for all I can tell as I've never had an answer. But that leads to plausible doubt, because A definite answer that "Sorry no new features will be backported to the plus series" will annoy people.

For a premium watch, even if the new UI changes didn't come - body battery, PacePro and the like should be on a premium device.

Looking at the recent S9 update notes we see

This update brings new features, added performance enhancements as well as some fixes

New features

• Fitness level estimation from running and walking sports (VO2Max)
  • Sleep quality assessment
  • Stress level and body resources graph
  • Automatically adjusted time zone from Suunto app

Enhancements and fixes

• In watch guidance tips for altitude and first exercise to help get the best performance from your watch
  • Improved GPS tracking accuracy with new GPS firmware

If Suunto can add new Firstbeat metrics to existing watches, it sort of blows out of the water the excuse that the metrics can't be licensed to existing devices.

The one new 'feature' of the 5x+ is the SpO2 sensor. Well, to be honest if you told me it was a red led linked to a random number generator I'd believe you. The ONLY thing it links into is sleep tracking, and in my tests the only difference between having it on and off during sleep tracking is you get better battery life when it's off!

And battery life, while good, is not really what they promise. And looking at what Suunto is doing with FusedTrack really is turning my head

Perception of life.

9.74. Oh boy where do I start. I don't care that it was a beta, someone at Q&A was asleep at the wheel when they launched a firmware (beta or not) whose core functionality was so radically broken it predicted relativistic running stats.If I was a Q&A manager I'd be looking at sacking people for allowing that out. How the hell didn't anyone actually test that running (for a running watch) was broken!

Perhaps this explains why their seems to be no new features coming to the 5+ series if they're having difficulties keeping the core functionality working..

One common perception with Garmin's was it was worth buying the previous generation as the software was better baked compare to the newer ones but looking at the 6 forums it's no better there. And the only 6 I fancy, the 6x Solar, is seemingly unavailable. Battery life is the thing for me as I do longer and longer distances and even with the clusterf*** of software issues Suunto have with SportstrackerMovescount the fact is the last S(baro firmware update did bake in new features they'd introduced to the S3 and 5, and even Polar have added new features.

Confusing product line

Adding this as I forgot. A work colleague asked me for advice on what Garmin to buy. They were confused and had read about 35, 45 ,245, 235, Vivoactive, 645, 735... in the end we brainstormed but in her own words, she bought a Polar Ignite as it was clear what it did.

Garmin really need to look at clearing tne lines a little and looking at the confusion. Is the 645 better than the 245 she asked? Well, yes and no... You can understand the confusion

So my plan is to save as I said, and in 2020 see where Suunto are in comaprison to Garmin.

It's even more galling for me as I've argued with many forum members (forerunner springs to mind mate!) and then to find I actually agree with them. I'm coming to the conclusion that next year I'll buy something like a Huawei Watch GT 2 for day to day steps,247 HR and then a Suunto 9 for actually training and races. The only true thing I'll miss is maps but thats what a handheld GPS can do, or my phone which has a massive battery and I now have a wireless 8000mah powerbank to take with me on long runs/races

• Well, my statement wasn’t to you. It was to AJ and his situation. Wink

• And again, I fail to see how ignorance is a benefit. If you'd read my OP, and my further comments, you'd have noticed my major beef was the way the plus series has not had the attention the others have had over it's lifetime, and in fact seems to have been 'legacy'ed' in record time.

And if you also read the OP, you'd note I have in fact been pretty much absent from the forums for a few months while doing ultra training. As A VA3, F5 and now F5x+ owner, I think I've invested enough personally in Garmin to voice my concern on how the plus series was treated

• To be honest, I'd be happy with a subset of features coming over that don't require Firstbeat licensing - for my needs, PacePro, the new ClimbPro colouring springs to mind as some of the things that would be minimal trouble to port over, and fall squarely in the line of things that the Fenix range (and typical Fenix use) would find useful

• I fully agree with all the points made, Garmin is about quantity instead of quality, generating new buggy product releases at ever increasing prices, while not supporting old products and customers properly just because they are currently in a dominant market position.

To say that I found the support for my 5+ disappointing is an understatement, no body battery or other new firstbeat metrics on a watch that is more expensive than the regular fenix 5 (even that got new features).

Not what I expected from this company, loyalty is a two way street and if they want our money, they also have to give something in return, especially when that something is completely reasonable and even makes good business sense for them (in the long term).

• Sorry, if you are labouring under the illusion that posting on a public forum is a way to have a private conversation then you’re going to be continuously disappointed...

• Wouldn't magically make the metric system work for Strength Exercises.

What are you referring to here exactly?

I do strength training 2-3 times a week - all metric... Thinking

• Try to input 47.5kg as the weight. Or 52.5kg. 

No decimal places for metric weights because - and I quote - “this will cause errors with the complex conversion”. 

They didn’t answer me when I asked why, if conversion is so complex, bodyweight worked to 0.1kg. Or distance to 0.01km...

• Ah, okay I remember now.

So, it's not broken, it's just not fully fit for purpose due to the lack of decimals.

• I would describe it as broken, personally. It doesn’t work the way metric measurements do in any other part of the Garmin ecosystem. That’s a reasonable definition of broken in my book. 

But “not fit for purpose” isn’t a bad description. The “fully” is superfluous. 

• Just because you personally would like to describe it as broken doesn't make it anymore true. Garmin has made a choice of not including decimals for strength training - and in that context everything is working as intended. (not saying it was a good choice).

In my case, decimals are not of interest so not having them actually saves me a lot of unnecessary button presses while entering the weights on the watch during my exercise.

Does that make it working on my watch while it's broken on yours?
    No, it makes it not fully fit for purpose for all use cases.