This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Probably my last Garmin

Well, there's a turn for the books. I've been vocal in the past defending Garmin but as people have noticed I've been largely silent on the forums. I've been busy, using my Fenix 5x+, and rapidly coming to the conclusion I'd have probably been better off buying the Suunto 9 for my needs. In fact, my plan is to start saving throughout 2020 to see how Suunto do with a replacement for the 9 and to be honest if it comes with maps I'll be all over it like a bad rash.

The decision is multi-fold, and is based on

Perception of Value.

Look at the Forerunner 245 First beat page at https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-product/garmin/forerunner-245/ - it has 11 Firstbeat Metrics. I have a 5x+, and their page lists (https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-product/garmin/fenix-5-plus/) 12. So I paid 3 times as much fo a watch whose feature set is not matched by it's perceived value. And add in tthe fact the 245/945 have seen a large degree of firmware changes over the period since their launch. Compare that to the f5+ series where new features have been largely absent.

For those of us who bought the F5+ series, we bought what we perceived as a premium brand. Especially the x+. But I think this iteration of the Fenix was only ever meant to be a stopgap to get them to the 6, and to be honestif Garmin are going to a more rapid turnover of iterations of the Fenix - this problem will only get worse.

It's obvious the 5+ series is now legacy. If you CAN get an answer from Garmin (via Twitter, or other social media) you get a boilerplate reply that "we're unsure of future plans, please email our customer idea's team at [email protected]" - an email address that seems to pipe to /dev/null for all I can tell as I've never had an answer. But that leads to plausible doubt, because A definite answer that "Sorry no new features will be backported to the plus series" will annoy people.

For a premium watch, even if the new UI changes didn't come - body battery, PacePro and the like should be on a premium device.

Looking at the recent S9 update notes we see

This update brings new features, added performance enhancements as well as some fixes

New features

• Fitness level estimation from running and walking sports (VO2Max)
  • Sleep quality assessment
  • Stress level and body resources graph
  • Automatically adjusted time zone from Suunto app

Enhancements and fixes

• In watch guidance tips for altitude and first exercise to help get the best performance from your watch
  • Improved GPS tracking accuracy with new GPS firmware

If Suunto can add new Firstbeat metrics to existing watches, it sort of blows out of the water the excuse that the metrics can't be licensed to existing devices.

The one new 'feature' of the 5x+ is the SpO2 sensor. Well, to be honest if you told me it was a red led linked to a random number generator I'd believe you. The ONLY thing it links into is sleep tracking, and in my tests the only difference between having it on and off during sleep tracking is you get better battery life when it's off!

And battery life, while good, is not really what they promise. And looking at what Suunto is doing with FusedTrack really is turning my head

Perception of life.

9.74. Oh boy where do I start. I don't care that it was a beta, someone at Q&A was asleep at the wheel when they launched a firmware (beta or not) whose core functionality was so radically broken it predicted relativistic running stats.If I was a Q&A manager I'd be looking at sacking people for allowing that out. How the hell didn't anyone actually test that running (for a running watch) was broken!

Perhaps this explains why their seems to be no new features coming to the 5+ series if they're having difficulties keeping the core functionality working..

One common perception with Garmin's was it was worth buying the previous generation as the software was better baked compare to the newer ones but looking at the 6 forums it's no better there. And the only 6 I fancy, the 6x Solar, is seemingly unavailable. Battery life is the thing for me as I do longer and longer distances and even with the clusterf*** of software issues Suunto have with SportstrackerMovescount the fact is the last S(baro firmware update did bake in new features they'd introduced to the S3 and 5, and even Polar have added new features.

Confusing product line

Adding this as I forgot. A work colleague asked me for advice on what Garmin to buy. They were confused and had read about 35, 45 ,245, 235, Vivoactive, 645, 735... in the end we brainstormed but in her own words, she bought a Polar Ignite as it was clear what it did.

Garmin really need to look at clearing tne lines a little and looking at the confusion. Is the 645 better than the 245 she asked? Well, yes and no... You can understand the confusion

So my plan is to save as I said, and in 2020 see where Suunto are in comaprison to Garmin.

It's even more galling for me as I've argued with many forum members (forerunner springs to mind mate!) and then to find I actually agree with them. I'm coming to the conclusion that next year I'll buy something like a Huawei Watch GT 2 for day to day steps,247 HR and then a Suunto 9 for actually training and races. The only true thing I'll miss is maps but thats what a handheld GPS can do, or my phone which has a massive battery and I now have a wireless 8000mah powerbank to take with me on long runs/races

• Yes, I see your point - but remember:

245/945 are the current generation, the 5+ are previous generation.

Look at it this way: You don't find it strange that the 935 does not get all the features on the 945 ?

• there is NO reason at all to buy a 5+ or 5S+ when there are better specced models at lower prices

well... the 5+ has quite a lot of features that the 245 simply doesn't have.

• No because the hardware spec count is significantly different, no SPo2 for example or maps. There's TWO generations between the 935 as its based on the F5 and the 945 (F6)

But even so, that sort of reinforces my point. With the plus series, with maps etc and climbpro - it makes sense to allow so overlap of features to make them now seem as a cheaper alternative with some added features.

But it seems the plus series is utterly discounted from any updates bar bug fixes.

As i Said, it seems the plus is now in holding pattern

• Garmin Pay and Maps springs to mind. But it has a better spec sheet as far as running stats. And YES it's a running focus watch but the Fenix was always meant to be a multi-purpose watch.

Oh and the Barometer (Edit)

But then these issues could be projected onto the 945

Right now I would not buy a plus when the 945 is cheaper and does a hell of a lot more.

The point is that the higher end should be a superset of the lower end, and not some weird mish mash

As I said, I've looked at how Suunto and Polar have treated their higher end spec watches and see a clear segregation by product range. 

When advising a friend of what Garmin they wanted, they simply gave up and bought a Polar as the range was far celarer

• Also - look at the first few months of the F6's life compared to the F5+.

A raft of new metrics, a new UI and new features were announced virtually straight after launch, putting it firmware in Marq-lite territory (and much as I'm annoyed, I'm glad I didn't buy a Maq as now it's merely PRICE rather than features than delineate it's position in the hierarchy)

The plus - nothing. But Garmin seem now to be looking at feature count - for example (as I mentioned earlier) the SPO2 sensor is seemingly only there to tick a box.

I wouldn't mind so much, but some features like PacePro make perfect sense to be on the higher spec'd, higher price watches. The plus series have the grunt and the hardware and a user base that would find it useful. Even simple little features like colouring climb pro maps by elevation would make sense (even more so) but it seems Garmin have no intention of even incremental changes to the plus.

As I said, I tried a Suunto 9 - not perfect, sure, but does what I need to do. If they release an updated one in 2020 I will be looking very carefully at it.

• Okay, I have so many comments to everything you are saying, but unfortunately I don't have time.

My point is simply:

FR245/945/F6 are current models. FR935/F5/F5+ are previous models.

I have absolutely no issues with the approach that new features that comes along are implemented on current models while previous models only gets maintenance updates.

Good luck with Suunto.

• Indeed but the problem is, there were very few (far fewer) features implemented on current models when the plus series was the current series.

• Yes, there was a period of time when 245/945 & F5+ all was current devices per se - but that was because F5+ was the last of the previous generation, while 245/945 was the first of the new generation. Once the new generation also got it's Fenix, the F5+ was no longer current.

Why is it so extremely hard to see that the F5+ has more to do with the 935/F5 than the 245/945/F6?

• "Why is it so extremely hard to see that the F5+ has more to do with the 935/F5 than the 245/945/F6?"

It doesn't. It straddles the boundary between the two. The plus was the first series to get maps along the range, and the first to get the SPO2 sensor, but it didn't get the new GPS chipset.

Regardless of "generation", the plus series has not had the love shown to it that others have had. I still feel it was simply a cashcow to draw in extra funding until the six was ready - which, from reading the forum, it still isn't.

Plus the main point I made stands anyway. The Fenix range is supposedly the premium range. It doesn't feel like the plus range ever got the same premium treatment the 5 range got in it's lifetime, or the 6/945/245 have had. 

And if Garmin are moving towards a consumer lead, yearly release schedule this problem will get worse.

• simply a cashcow

Capitalism is a bi*** isn't it?

Not saying that I support the strategy, but major corporations trying to maximise profit isn't really surprising.