Is there any way at all to remove 2fa login?

Without being able to use RunGap to import my iFit workouts into Garmin Connect all of my data is unusable in the app. It thinks I’m just over exerting myself without the context of the workout. All my load info is wrong because I’m missing easy treadmills runs and incline workouts.

Is there really no way to roll back my account or reset or something? I’m seeing very little reason to stick with Garmin at this point. This feels anti-user.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I’d just like the option to delete all ECG readings stored and remove 2FA, since it wasn’t clear that it was permanent. 

If it’s classified as a medical device, but not being used as one, why can’t 2FA be removed? I’m fine losing the ECG capability.

My RHR is too low to even get a ECG evaluation, so I’m not missing out on anything. 

• I did see that in the other thread. Here are some followup questions.

In the future is the idea that ECG functionality and the 2FA that goes with it always be an opt in? Or eventually is the idea that all of these watches will require it? If it's always going to be an opt in, why isn't there a way to factory reset the watch and wipe ECG data? It seems odd that there is only a forever path that can be so easily set up without some sort of workaround. I set mine up because I had a minute and saw an alert that I hadn't finished setting up my watch. I know it's an OCD (actual OCD, not colloquial) thing, but if I couldn't clear that little notification I would lose my mind.

But if in the future this is a goal, to have these watches just be class 2 medical devices across the board, are we going to ever get a workaround for integrating our Garmin ecosystem into other ecosystems?

Honestly, regardless of the first question, I might say that I wouldn't care about 2FA as much if Garmin would stop being such a walled garden device maker. Y'all position yourself to be a leader in this area. But then you don't play nice with other systems. This would literally be a non-issue if you had an API that RunGap could use or supported importing other activities from other ecosystems.

My problem is, at it's core, not about 2FA. It's that when I use my incline trainer or rower or anything with better metrics of its given utility than just turning on my watch to record HR and kinetic movement, my Garmin just thinks I'm exerting myself. For the brief shining moment where I had RunGap working the Garmin stats about load balance et al were useful. But without that connection my Garmin stats are pretty much useless. I can't use Garmin Connect for any kind of performance prediction. So I go elsewhere and use Strava and Training Peaks, because those have all of my data.

If I could get my iFit workouts into Garmin either directly or via RunGap I wouldn't care at all about ECG and 2FA. I get that every big health tech corp wants their platform to be THE platform, but it's honestly driving me away from y'all. So, ok, no movement on 2FA... can we please get some integration with other apps?

I know I'm not alone in this.

• In the future is the idea that ECG functionality and the 2FA that goes with it always be an opt in?

- Yes, since we are required by government requirements to keep 2FA on at all times in order to maintain the Class 2 Medical certification and authorization to use the ECG feature on our devices.

If it's always going to be an opt in, why isn't there a way to factory reset the watch and wipe ECG data?

- You can reset your watch to remove the ECG feature but the 2FA will continue regardless of doing the step. Once again, we are being required to keep it this way.

But if in the future this is a goal, to have these watches just be class 2 medical devices across the board, are we going to ever get a workaround for integrating our Garmin ecosystem into other ecosystems?

- Unknown. I am unable to get an answer to this question since the future is unknown. Only time will tell to answer this question.

can we please get some integration with other apps?

- It is my understanding that the requirement for 3rd party APPS is on their side. It is likely not cost effective for them due to how strict government requirements are and taking into account their extra costs to properly maintain the extra levels of  requirement for storing "Class 2 Medical information" vs. say general other metrics they maintain already.

If the process could be easier, we would LOVE to make it happen for everyone. It is for that reason we are doing our best to be as clear as possible in our answers. We are required to keep 2FA as it is at this time when anyone adds ECG to their watch. (The 2FA step being skipped IS AN option when adding ECG and then ECG is only on the watch itself and it never leaves the watch nor is the data 'saved' to the watch when using ECG.) 

The moment medical information leaves the watch, it triggers all government rules that are strictly enforced and come with enormous penalties and the potential loss of being allowed ECG on our products. We literally have an ECG team  working directly with all governments to test and evaluate every single new software update before we push them to ECG watches. Even for each Beta software each quarterly phase. The rules are as strict as they come once ECG is added.

• You can reset your watch to remove the ECG feature

I have carried out a reset  on the watch - Delete all Data and Reset Settings - but the ECG remained. What type of reset is required to remove the ECG app?

• In theory, the way you did it per this Support Center article - I Reset My Watch, Where Did the ECG App Go?

Try a full master reset instead since there was no luck with the Reset to Defaults through your System > Reset menu.

• Perhaps this has been asked/answered somewhere else, but if I never use or enable (if that's the way to put it) ECG, will I still have to use 2FA?  I have the original Epix 2 (47mm).  I can easily see getting the Epix G3 when that comes out in a year or so.  And I'd assume it will have the ECG function. 

• if I never use or enable (if that's the way to put it) ECG, will I still have to use 2FA?

Good question.

ECG can be added to a hardware capable watch without being required to enable 2FA. You can skip the 2FA requirement process and opt-out of your ECG history syncing to your Garmin Connect account.

For example: if you run ECG strictly on your watch without being connected to 2FA to enable the results going to Garmin Connect, you will run ECG on your watch and receive the results but that's it. The ECG results go nowhere and your watch will not store the ECG just completed  what-so-ever.

• Ahh, that I can live with.  Just seeing it on the watch is fine.  However, if it is sent to Garmin connect app, do ECG readings play a role in any other metrics that might rely on it?  

• I’m so glad I never activated ecg, the whole 2fa is a joke. Apple got this perfectly, shame the rest isn’t perfect.

• ECG readings play a role in any other metrics that might rely on it

ECG is a very specific feature and function that does not tie into anything else with your watch's algorithm.