Is there any way at all to remove 2fa login?

Without being able to use RunGap to import my iFit workouts into Garmin Connect all of my data is unusable in the app. It thinks I’m just over exerting myself without the context of the workout. All my load info is wrong because I’m missing easy treadmills runs and incline workouts.

Is there really no way to roll back my account or reset or something? I’m seeing very little reason to stick with Garmin at this point. This feels anti-user.

Top Replies

All Replies

• Short answer no. See other threads that have heavily discussed this.

• It seems that Garmin has given its users a giant middle finger on this one.

It is most unfortunate and, I agree, anti-user.

• I’ve seen them, but they’re closed threads and I was hoping there was some way to reset an account that wasn’t discussed.

• Not using ECG but can't disagree on this one.

Forcing people to accept something without any way to go back looks a bit too much.

As others said, allow people to delete the data and remove 2FA, especially if 2FA is affecting other 3rd services too.

• Forcing people to accept something without any way to go back looks a bit too much.

To be accurate, nobody was forced to implement 2FA but there was no indication that it could not be removed. And by the time it was made apparent that the ECG could be used without 2FA, it was too late. Users were/are unable to make an informed decision about 2FA as the information was not provided.

I suspect the threads were closed because there were some very strong posts and there likely will be no change.

• Yes, that  was a bad "communication" from Garmin.

Garmin has argued that 2FA is necessary due to government/FDA regulations. I can't judge, but is that also the case with Apple and other manufacturers with ECG? Or what are the differences here???

Garmin INDICATIONS FOR USE:

The Garmin ECG app is a software-only, mobile medical application intended for use with compatible Garmin smartwatches to create, record, store, transfer, and display a single-channel electrocardiograph similar to a Lead I ECG. The ECG app determines the presence of atrial fibrillation (AFib) or sinus rhythm (SR) on a classifiable waveform. The ECG app is not recommended for users with other known arrhythmias.

Apple INDICATIONS FOR USE:

The ECG app is a software-only mobile medical application intended for use with Apple Watch to create, record, store, transfer and display a single channel electrocardiogram (ECG) similar to a Lead I ECG. The ECG app determines the presence of atrial fibrillation (AF), sinus rhythm and high heart rate (no AF detected with heart rate between 100 and 150 bpm) on a classifiable waveform. The ECG app is not recommended for users with other known arrhythmias.

• It is clear to me that 2FA is not a requirement of any regulatory body. Rather, implementing 2FA is how Garmin decided to comply with the actual regulatory requirements. In order to ensure continued compliance with the regulatory requirements, and having decided that 2FA was the manner in which it would comply with regulatory requirements, Garmin decided to prevent users from disabling 2FA once it was enabled.

I suspect the concern for Garmin was that users would enable 2FA in order to use ECG, and then disable 2FA, resulting in Garmin being open to potential complaints that its users were not then compliant with regulatory requirements.

Other ECG providers are presumably subject to the same regulatory requirements, so they must have decided on other methods to ensure their users remain in compliance. With Apple, this is much easier, as Apple runs a much more closed system in terms of its operating system and product interfaces.

The problems, as I see them, are that: (a) Garmin did a very poor job communicating any of this to end users, resulting in people being misled (or feeling they were misled); and (b) people started to point out that other ECG providers were not requiring 2FA, thus making Garmin's explanation (that 2FA was required by regulatory requirements) appear disingenuous.

• Maybe deleting and connecting in iFit app with garmin will do the magic?

I don`t think 2fa block 3rdparty apps from using garmin connect api, maybe adding ecg enforces some kind of "additional consent".

Oh, and  https://www.garmin.com/en-US/account/security/mfa/  - maybe You can "remove doorlock" here?

• I’m a loyal Garmin user and generally very happy with the products and the support I have received. However, I am really disappointed in the way this 2FA issue has been handled.  I don’t mind 2FA in principle but I had no idea it was going to be permanent when I tried out the ECG feature.  I now can’t use RunGap which is very frustrating.  The RunGap developer said he can’t implement it either since Garmin hasn’t provided an API or a way for third parties to build it into their apps. I really wish Garmin would allow users to back out of the ECG app and undo the permanent 2FA. Please Garmin at least give us an opportunity to do this and then make it more clear to users in the future.

• I really wish Garmin would allow users to back out of the ECG app and undo the permanent 2FA.

Everyone please keep in mind I am the messenger saying this... When I escalated 2FA all the way up as far as such a clarification will go, it was made very, very clear to me (and I pushed back gently to re-confirm) that it is a regulatory requirement now that our devices that are ECG capable are 'class 2 medical devices' due to the feature.

Apple watches with ECG, often what everyone keeps comparing Garmin to, also has a 2FA requirement but it is on their iCloud storage side vs. their APP side. Only an assumption on my part, but perhaps that was enough for them to meet the same regulatory requirements.