This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Watch doesn't always go back to Always on display

I have this issue with my Epix Gen2 that sometimes the screen stays on with the full watch display all the time, and doesn't go back to the more energy saving "Always on" display. The backlight seems to be going down after the timeout period, but the display remains the full one.

I'm not sure if there's a pattern to it, sometimes it works, sometimes I have to force it by either moving the wrist up and down again, or pressing the light button and wait the timeout.

It seems to happen quite a lot when receiving a notification though.

It's been going on for several software version (I'm on 11.28 now).

I tried to play a bit with the wrist/touch options, turning everything off, but no change.

Not sure what else to try short of factory reset... is that a known issue ?

• AOD on - what your dim view screen can look like depends on the watch face you are using. Some watch faces keep all the data and just dim the face, others may resort to a completelty different battery saving watch face in dim mode. For example the watch face wit hteall the data around the edges just dims an goes to hollow numbers from solid numbers. If it has seconds hand that will go when it dims.

I am not notincing any issues (11.28) with AOD on behaviour.

The one thing that can muck up how it works is if you are using the Screen off option (i.e. its under the control wheel - long press light button to get control wheel up - icon is a watch with a slash / through it. - this is to turn your display off and it impacts notifications:

Display

Turns off the screen for alerts, gestures, and Always On Display mode (Changing the Screen Settings).

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-E5C62F3F-DCE3-4197-8CA5-E419B2A55D12/EN-US/GUID-700E76C4-F7E2-4984-8199-D59D6A31DFB9.html

They really need to change the description for his control - maybe call it cinema mode or something like that.

• thank you.

The watch face is the standard Garmin "Sport Master" and does display minimal info on AOD (the hands and the digital time).

I checked the "Display on/off" option as you mentioned, and it's On.

Now that I observed the behaviour a bit closer, it definitely happens after receiving notifications. I have set 30s timeout for notifications, and after that I can see the screen dimming, but the full face still displayed, with seconds hand and all.

Then I forcefully move my wrist up first (screen light comes back on) then down, and it's back to normal AOD. Alternatively, I press the light button, and same thing: screen lights up, then back to normal AOD after timeout.

• thanks. Definitely my issue here. Although it's something I noticed several releases ago, not only in latest 11.28

• Hi, this issue was first detected in 8.37 and then solved in 9.33 - now back in 11.28 though :-( . It is only affecting Connect IQ watchfaces and not the built-in ones. I just have raised a ticket to Garmin Support (helped previously in 8.37). Would suggest that you do that too - the more the better...

• mine still doesn't get out of battery saver after sleep but i don't care Stuck out tongue

• I understand this is less critical than the other way round. If the watchface does not go back to battery saver mode it is draining the battery massively and hence the complaints...

• I have noticed this also, and it's very annoying. I think if your watch face is doing something (checking weather, updating a complication, etc) at the exact instant always on is supposed to kick in, then the watch might miss the "always on" call. From what I can tell that call for always on doesn't get repeated, so always on never kicks in. If the call was repeated every 4 seconds or whatever interval the user's screen timeout is set, maybe always on would kick in the next time that interval is met. As for never going into always on after a notification is received, that seems like a more reproduceable problem that should be easier to fix.

At any rate, there are some issues with the integration of third party watch faces that I hope Garmin can remedy.

• If you touch the display or press a button, the watch face should brighten and then go back into low power mode. We have only observed this behavior with Connect IQ watch faces.

• I had this flickering issue before as described in forums.garmin.com/.../epix-screen-flickers-when-dimming-aod-display-timeout , but it only appeared from time to time. Now with firmware 13.22 it occurs always and is bugging me a lot.

I use Garmin Connect IQ watch face (Earth Day and today I switched to Earth Day 2).