During training I'm stuck in the map

I made a running intervall training. During the training I want to change the screen, because I want to the heart rate and speed and not the pace. Then I wish on the screen and the map appears. Then I wish again and the map is moving instead of showing the next screen. This is very annoying and ruined my training. Then I pressed the lap key and the next round started. So I have to start the training again. I think running trainings are one of the most important and used features. So they should actually be well tested. When I'm testing this at home the screen change works also with the map, but not during running. And I find it also annoying, that I cannot change the default screen data fields of the training. I have the touch function always enabled and don't want to change this. That the watch is stuck in the map can happen also, when configuring the screens. The FW is 8.21.

• Why aren't you using the buttons? Disappointed Up & Down still work with touch enabled. It's the easiest and most reliable way to switch screens during a workout (swiping also works, even on the map by the way). 

It sounds like you haven't spent enough time getting to know your new device, so maybe you should do that? 

• I am struggling a bit to fully understand all your issues - so if some of my understanding is incorrect - please ignore or clarify your issue.

1) it sounds like you may have auto-scroll on - the reason maybe why your screens are auto changing. If it is off, then I suspect it may be due to you having touch enabled - sweat/water & or clothing can cause sufficient levels of touch to change the screen (had it happen to me this morning with a jacket sleeve). Thus would suggest touch off, and then setting touch to a hotkey - then when you need it use the hotkey to activate touch on/off - this would resolve this issue.

2) you know that you can customize your data screens. you can add/remove screens. you can change the layout i.e. the number of data fields; and you can change what shows in those data fields. The exception to this are some specific activity screens (will just give you the option to reorder/remove) and or workout specific screens (will only appear when running a workout). However you can move between the screens via auto-scroll (I have off as its never on the right screen when I want it) and or via the up/down buttons (left middle/left bottom  - single press per screen change). If you are using a training/workout screen and it doesn't have what you want, move to a screen that you have setup that does have what you want. Note that a coach training/workout screen is always very specific with minimal data as the intent is you should be focusing on that specific detail whether its distance, pace, cadence, HR etc. The rest doesn't matter - its important only to focus on what the workout screen is providing - and that is why they don't want you messing with them. Just scroll to  data screen you have setup with what you want.

3) Lap key - now that pain - did a benchmark run 5 times in one day before understanding how it works. If set to on, and not using a workout etc, then all it will do is mark a manual lap. If you are doing a workout, then it will denote the end of that workout section. The difficulty comes with how you have set up the workout - whether it requires a lap press to move to next section or not - it sometimes isn't always that clear. Often better to check workout online first to understand if lap button required to move to next section of the workout or not.

• But that was the actual problem. The up and down keys were mapped to +/-, >< and so on. Therefore I was stuck there. Swiping moved the map instead of changing the screen and the keys had also map functions.

• I didn't use auto-scroll. I wanted to change the screen by swiping. The first next screen was the map. And when I did swipe there, directly the map moved and I couldn't change the screen anymore. Instantly using the buttons may be a workaround. But swiping is more comfortable.

• Looks like you activated the map browsing, probably by accident. You had the map screen on, you tried to swipe it off, but you touched it in a way that was like a "click: on the screen, and that activated map browsing. then your buttons were helping navigating the map. You have to push the back button to exit map browsing, then you can swipe the screen.

• But the back button is the same like the lap button. That means the next intervall of the training is started. Then I had to restart the whole traning.

• I just tried that exact situation and it worked though, without triggering a lap, but I was not in a structured workout.

Also, there are other situations where the back button doesn't trigger the lap, which I tried many times. For example, if you are in the settings during a run, changing a data screen for example, or changing the music player setting, you exit the non-running screen using the back button. Now, It happened to me that I pressed the back button one too many times in this situation and ended it provoking a lap change.

So I suspect you pressed the back button one more time than necessary to exit the map browsing.

• Yes you are right, pressing back one time only is leaving the map navigation mode. Then I can swipe to the next screen. It seems, one tap on the map enters the map moving mode. Therefore it happened.

• As far as testing and making sense of some things, he is right after all.

For example, you are kicked out of the training recommendation if you press the back button, how stupid is that? You can't restart it then either. If the person who programmed this has ever been running with the watch himself, I'll eat a broom :-)

Is also completely unclear to me how some people here always claim: I have no problems at all. Clear case of: You use the watch only to show off.

I used my watch on the bike the other day and used it with the original Garmin holder on the handlebars.

In addition to the usual problems, it happened there that - without auto page change - the data sheet changed again and again.

It was dry, no touch of the touch screen, no button presses.

What the thread starter says sounds to me like he got into zoom mode by swiping. Is there actually a way to turn this off without having to turn the touch off completely?