Slate Steel?

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone has Slate Steel.  I know there are technical differences between that watch and the other versions but I'm mostly just curious about the material.  I can't determine how it's different other than color?

Thanks!

• Well...

The Slate Steel version has a stainless steel bezel (as opposed to Titanium on the other versions), a steel back (as opposed to Titanium), and Gorilla Glass crystal (as opposed to Sapphire).

HTH

• Thank you!  Didn't know it was GG.

Looks like it's roughly the same weight.  Do we think scratch resistance is about the same or worse than Titanium?  Probably worse based on hardness?

• Well...  you know, of course, that most of your questions are answered by looking at the Specifications for the watch on the Garmin web site, right?

Anyway, the Steel version case only weighs 53 grams while the Titanium case only weighs 47 grams.

The Titanium versions have a either a DLC* coated Titanium bezel or uncoated pure Titanium bezel, whereas the Steel version has a passivated stainless steel bezel.  As far as scratch resistance goes, it's players choice.  The DLC coated Titanium would undoubtedly be the most scratch resistant, but if scratched, the underlying Titanium would be exposed and the scratch would be very difficult to repair.  The pure Titanium bezel would scratch more easily, but Titanium oxidizes over time and tend to self "heal" minor scratches.  Additionally, scratched pure Titanium is easily repaired with tools no more complicated than a pencil eraser. The passivated stainless steel would probably scratch fairly easily, but whether the scratches are easily polished out or not would depend on the nature of the passivation.  With the steel, I would just prepare for the eventuality that it will scratch over time and enjoy the worn appearance.

HTH

DLC Coating stands for diamond-like carbon coating, and is a nanocomposite coating that has unique properties of natural diamond low friction, high hardness, and high corrosion resistance.

• is there a difference in onboard memory (16vs32) and multi band GPS? (sort of the differences like with F7 non sapphire and sapphire models?)

• Hi, I have Slate Steel.  I knocked it once against a gym door and can't see any scratch on the bezel ring (and I have experience with steel-bezeled wristwatches to know when line scratches are likely to occur).  Personally, I like the look better vs. all black, as reminds me of the Marq Expedition I had.  I was a little surprised that it would not be sapphire and does not have the max memory.  I guess if we want the silver/gray form factor, but with sapphire and 32 gig we have to look to order a Fenix 7 solar sapphire via Garmin "Your Watch Your Way" if it becomes available there.  I also had 12.2 or so gigs free after getting it set up, which was enough for the North America maps at least.

• I like my silver one too but psychologically feel like I am missing something. I am sure it’s all in my head though lol.

I just felt like a change from the black one. Might get a chestnut leather band which I think will really set it off. 

• Morning, all…here is a pic of Slate with the chestnut leather band.  Classy combo for virtual meetings in a polo, works fine for working out too!