Glitchy Gesture Activation

I’m having some issues with activation of the screen in gesture mode.

Intermittently, particularly when it’s been a while since I last looked at the watch, when I turn my wrist to activate the watch, it will only activate extremely briefly- a flicker really. Even pressing buttons or tapping the screen has the same effect. It can be difficult to activate the watch when this happens- usually takes a number of attempts before the screen comes on and stays on. At other times it works as I would expect.

I’ve updated the firmware, restarted, and then reset to factory settings all to no avail. I wonder if this is a hardware fault with gesture detection.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks.

• Hi Chris,

Just an update for you which may or may not be of use.  Although I was fairly quick to dismiss the idea that the glitch was linked to battery level, the last few weeks of use has persuaded me that there might be something in it.  I tend to keep my battery charged between 20% and 80/90% and have noticed that when it's above 50%, the glitch is a rare occurrence - perhaps once or twice every other day.  As the battery drops below 50% it becomes much more frequent until around 20% or lower when the watch becomes almost unusable with gesture activation with the glitch happening every time I look at it.  I'm able to get the screen to remain on by repeatedly pressing a button but the next time I use the gesture, it's back to glitch after glitch.  Even reboots don't make any difference.  Once the watch has been charged back up to 80 or 90%, it becomes much less of an issue again.  I've been able to replicate this behaviour over the last 4 or 5 charge/discharge cycles.

• Thank you for taking the time to provide an update of what you have seen with the issue.

• I'm happy to report that with Ken's settings on 8.16 for the last 4 days, I have not experienced the glitchy behavior once. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself!

• Jstu313 and SCL411, are you connected via iPhones or Android? I am an Android user. I'm wondering if that makes a difference. My 2 cousins that don't have any issues are iphone users. By the way, I'm not on the beta update, keep us updated Jstu313, maybe I'll try the beta as well if you stay glitch free 

Update for my situation:

I was glitch free for 3 days and thought the settings resolved it. Unfortunately, day 4, I had a glitch waking up from sleep mode. Day 5 I had a few glitches during strength training and day 6 was about the same. Then day 7 the glitches got worse again. Not as bad as prior to the settings changes, but not great either. I think SCL411 is on to something with the battery charge correlation. Day 1 I was fully charged and by day 7 I was only at 50 percent with my current settings.

Ken

• Ken S. I’m an iPhone user and I’m also not on the beta f/w. 

• Okay thanks. That rules that difference out. Hopefully Jstu313 stays glitch free on the beta version. My glitches are less common and have improved with the settings I mentioned, but it's not a fix on the stable software so far. Hoping this isn't hardware related.

• Another day, still glitch free. (knock on wood)

I honestly didn't have to change much to get to your settings, so I'm surprised that made a difference. But prior to this, I couldn't go a day without seeing it glitch at least once... so something has changed the behavior.

I use both Android and iPhone interchangeably so not sure if it's related. 

Also, for what it's worth, I'm generally between 60-80% battery as I charge every day for a few minutes when I shower. Haven't really noticed a correlation there either.

• That's great news! Keep us updated. Might make the beta update worth trying for me.

• I just updated to 8.18

I will update if my glitches come back or not on version 8.18 with the settings change

• Update on my replacement watch, no gesture glitch for the past week.  7 days with gesture on for activities and general use.  I wear the watch 24/7 except when I shower.  Software 7.35 and the lowest I let the watch drain down was 18%.  So far so good!