1st Dive

Went for the first few dives today with mk2i. Tank pod still hasn't arrived in Australia yet so just getting used to the watch. I've watched pretty much every video online about the watch several times as I'm new to garmin. Love the watch love the app and the detail for after the dive. 

I will just tell divers and new garmin dive watch uses, not to make the same mistake I did. The buttons we pressed by contact to my wetsuit and gloves because I was trying to dive keeping it on my wrist to measure HR. In the boat it started a RUN activity accidently, so when I got in the water it was still thinking i was running. The watch WON'T stop what ever you're doing even at 1.5m or below. I was 10m down before I realised. So just watch that. Other then that little hickup the watch was awesome and I'm extremely happy with it. Thanks garmin.

• Can you share more, how was the visibility under water (and in what conditions)? How easy are the numbers to read and so on, it would be great to hear from a regular user not a sponsored reviewer :)

I would suggest you raise a support ticket as wet activation should take priority over any running activity.

• Hi Peter. It was 2m swell with about 8-10m vis diving to about 17m chasing crayfish. Pretty surgy but could not fault the screen. I've been using the Suunto Eon Core before they bought the Mk2i out and it's way better then that. Didn't think about the watch display at all to be fair because it clear as. Colour was bright. Tapping the screen to goto compass etc was fine. Used the compass on the Mk2i and didn't once use my analogue one. 

Even on the screen with the most data fields (some smaller sized font fields) could read it easy as. It's a fantastic watch. I'm really happy I got it. Ascent alerts work well, dive interval times worked fine. The app details are really in depth and couldn't fault it.

Like I said above, I thought the watch would click over to dive at 1.5 below. I've just checked my dive profile and it on;y started the dive once I canceld the run activity and then it auto clicked to dive becuase it knew it was below 1.5m. 

My 1st dive started at 10m below. No biggy but just check your watch before you jump in. At least until they change that setting anyway. Love the watch in and out of the water. 

• Actually even the MK1 was like that. If an activity was running the wet activation did not start the dive activity. Actually I used that ”feature” and always started the ”activity” Temperature (available in IQ store) to prevent the watch to start a dive activity whenever I just jumped into the water for a vswim...

• There is a pool feature on the mk2i. So it doesn't log a dive if you have a dip

• Yes I know, but it still starts the dive activty. There is a long thread on that in tke MK1 section...
    https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/descent-mk1/155403/pool-mode

• I didnt know what a Suunto Eon Core was.

I just looked it up, looks like a pretty sophisticated dive computer.

How long have you been using the Eon Core and why did you switch to the Mk2i ?

• Had an iwatch wich tracks movement and activites etc. A normal dive watch is useless to me out of the water. Even the teric, i wouldnt wear it out of the water, i would go back to my iwatch. Then they bought this bad boy out. It's a smart watch and an air integrated dive computer. Bought it straight away. Love it. I'f you're active out of the water, gym, run, bike whatever it's a game changer if you dive too. Can't wait for the pod to arrive 

• The buttons we pressed by contact to my wetsuit and gloves because I was trying to dive keeping it on my wrist to measure HR. In the boat it started a RUN activity accidently, so when I got in the water it was still thinking i was running.

The way you should use the watch is to put it into the dive activity BEFORE you get into the water and not rely on it to automatically selecting dive mode.  This has two advantages, 1) ensures you are in the appropriate dive mode with the right gasses 2) ensures you have a GPS lock so that the watch can record your entry location accurately.  

• There is no wet activation - it is purely depth activation.

This is how the Mk1 worked and I doubt they have changed it for the Mk2(i).  

As divers we should always check that the computer is working correctly before descending.

• I use them interchangeably (which I know is wrong) but I mean depth and my comments is more related to the watch should automatically switch to dive activity when the depth is reached.

And yes soapbox moment, but how did you complete your checklist/review/etc. without checking your gauges (and you are using your computer as a smart gauge, it's your bottom timer and depth gauge so it should be part of your check list. Is the battery good, is the screen visible, can I operate it, ...

That being said I still think it's a bug/issue that it did not switch before 10M