1st Dive

Went for the first few dives today with mk2i. Tank pod still hasn't arrived in Australia yet so just getting used to the watch. I've watched pretty much every video online about the watch several times as I'm new to garmin. Love the watch love the app and the detail for after the dive. 

I will just tell divers and new garmin dive watch uses, not to make the same mistake I did. The buttons we pressed by contact to my wetsuit and gloves because I was trying to dive keeping it on my wrist to measure HR. In the boat it started a RUN activity accidently, so when I got in the water it was still thinking i was running. The watch WON'T stop what ever you're doing even at 1.5m or below. I was 10m down before I realised. So just watch that. Other then that little hickup the watch was awesome and I'm extremely happy with it. Thanks garmin.

• Hi Peter, I’ve put a support ticket in about that so hopefully they make an override feature in the next update. 

I have a analogue gauge for tank pressure because the tank pod still isn’t available. I was checking the watch as I descended but couldn’t just thought the dove stuff was running the background. When I got to the bottom at 10m I’d stopped the run activity and saved it. So it ended and the dove automatically started. It’s no big deal now I know to be honest. 

I think you’re picking it apart too much. The features are awesome the battery said like 60hours of diving I think from memory and 7days out of the water battery. And I run all the features all the time. 

it’s better to use then the suunto, brighter and because you can just tap the screen to cycle through the screens you want to see, it’s really easy to use. 

Don’t forget I’m new to Garmin and even I worked out I’d pressed the wrong button accidentally pretty quickly. 

• I’ve put a support ticket in about that so hopefully they make an override feature in the next update. 

They won't.  This was a complaint about the Mk1 which is now 3 years old.  If they didn't "fix" it for the Mk1, they won't "fix" it for the Mk2.

As I said, the correct way to use the Mk2 (and the Mk1) is to put it into dive mode BEFORE you get into the water.

• Yeh like I said 1st dove and accidentally pressed a button. I was just informing anyone else new to Mk. I just thought I saw an a review that it automatically starts when 1.5. It does but not if you have another activity running. Pretty simple

• And I am just informing anyone new to the Descent range (like you) that the way the watch is meant to be used is to enter dive mode BEFORE you dive and not just let it start automatically.

Even if you aren't in another activity, how can you be sure that the gasses have been set correctly?  Don't you want to use the GPS feature to log the dive start location?

• The fact it automatically started makes me agree it's minor, and in my case I am getting one as it's the only thing on the market that gives me a really good structured workout tool, an AI dive computer, notifications.

My point is more along it's a nobrainer once you hit a certain depth automatically switch to dive mode, but honestly in my case it's irrelevant as I will always have it in dive mode as I am using the AI aspect.

• There is always hope since I think the MK2 will outsell the MK1 but I am not holding my breath for feature enhancements.

• My point is more along it's a nobrainer once you hit a certain depth automatically switch to dive mode, but honestly in my case it's irrelevant as I will always have it in dive mode as I am using the AI aspect.

If you don't have it in dive mode or any other activity, then yes, once it hits 1.2m it will automatically start the dive, but it won't register the location for the dive start - but should still do the dive end (for what it is worth).

In the case of the original poster, it didn't start automatically because it was in a non-dive activity.  This was a design decision by Garmin and I doubt they will change it - they didn't after 3 years of the Mk1.

• I should add that if you aren't in any dive mode or other activity when you descend, it will default to the last dive mode you used, including the configured gasses.  This could also mean being in one of the Apnea modes (I think).

The other annoyance is that it is fairly dumb in the way it determines dive start.  The only trigger is hitting a depth of 1.2m.

I had a situation with my Mk1 where I set the dive mode before we jumped in.  While we were on the surface my buddy accidentally dropped one of her fins.  I reached down to grab the fin.  It started the dive and I had to wait for the dive to end before I could start it again.

I used to have a Citizen dive watch that I got in 2005.  It handled both SCUBA and Skin diving and would have logged my reaching down as a skin dive.  

It would be so easy to code the Descent to not start a SCUBA dive until they had been at n depth for x seconds.  But Garmin haven't.

• I agree atj777, it is so annoying that the dive activity starts every time I jump into the water for a swim. This is why I always start an activity (the temperature measurement activity that just shows temperature) before I go for a swim. Garmin should improve this logic...

• There is a pool mode though isn’t there for this reason. You can have a swim in a pool and it won’t log it as a dive. It’s just an activity like running/walking/diving etc?! With the reaching down for fin to trigger. You can edit the auto end dove time. So by default it’s set at 1min. Meaning you wait on the surface for 1min and the dive ends automatically. Can change that time if you think you‘re ever going to do that again? Or just wait the minute. 

I surfaced in my first dive and I’m glad it didn’t just auto stop right away because it would have ended my dive.  but it picked up I surfaced on the dive log. If you have your feature enabled it would have counted it as two dives. I know which one I’d prefer to have setup. The one it’s setup with already.