1st Dive

Went for the first few dives today with mk2i. Tank pod still hasn't arrived in Australia yet so just getting used to the watch. I've watched pretty much every video online about the watch several times as I'm new to garmin. Love the watch love the app and the detail for after the dive. 

I will just tell divers and new garmin dive watch uses, not to make the same mistake I did. The buttons we pressed by contact to my wetsuit and gloves because I was trying to dive keeping it on my wrist to measure HR. In the boat it started a RUN activity accidently, so when I got in the water it was still thinking i was running. The watch WON'T stop what ever you're doing even at 1.5m or below. I was 10m down before I realised. So just watch that. Other then that little hickup the watch was awesome and I'm extremely happy with it. Thanks garmin.

• Pool mode was added after many complaints from instructors and DMs that were getting 10s of dives logged while training students in the pool.  It took months for them to implement it, too.

I have my End Dive Delay set to the minimum of 20 seconds.  I'd set it to less if I could. The Descent won't register the Exit Location until after the End Dive Delay expires. I don't want to be hanging around a long time after I surface for it to register the location - not that it particularly accurate because the GPS is only turned on at the last minute.

I don't surface in the middle of my dives so End Dive Delay doesn't provide much benefit.  In the over 300 dives I've done with my Mk1, I did have to surface once because I was diving with a buddy on her first dive at a site, the visibility was poor and she swam off.  I was on the surface waiting for her for a few minutes so End Dive Delay would not have helped.

Reaching down was not part of my dive and shouldn't have been included as part of my dive.  I didn't even have the regulator in my mouth!  This has nothing to do with End Dive Delay.  Fortunately, as I had End Dive Delay set to 20 seconds, I didn't have too long to wait for the NON-DIVE to end but it still registered it as a dive which I had to delete.

• In the over 300 dives I've done with my Mk1, I did have to surface once because I was diving with a buddy on her first dive at a site, the visibility was poor and she swam off.  I was on the surface waiting for her for a few minutes so End Dive Delay would not have helped.

Interestingly, while both the Mk1 and my Perdix ended the dive soon after I surfaced and started a second dive when we descended again, my 20 year old Citizen Hyper Aqualand registered it as a single dive:

The Citizen has no concept of End Dive Delay and just works (and always has).

• End of the day chaps. If a one off reaching down for a fin is your biggest issue with the watch with all the awesome stuff it does above and below, I think you’re pretty right to buy one. If you don’t use a smart watch out of the water the. Go and buy something that tells the time when You’re on land. Probably cheaper for you. I love this thing. Gym everyday so has all that covered and it dives like a beast. All the best

• I love this watch too. I had the MK1 and now I have the MK2i. Use it every day all day long. As a smart watch and for all activities. The only thing I am saying is that the 360 out of 365 days a year I do not dive. I do more swimming in pool and in sea from boats then I do diving. And every time I jump into the water it starts a dive activity, which is unnecessary. I would have appreciated to be able to disable the automatic start of dive activity and then just enable  the dive watch features the week I am on a diving vacation. Or a smarter algorithm that detects that I do not dive, but just jumped into the water for a swim, since the watch was below 1.2 meters less than 3 seconds...

• I haven’t dove yet with any Garmin computer, but I presume it defaults to the last dive setup you had. So in your case, why not start an apnea dive after your dive trip is over, so if it does trigger automatically, it’s a free dive rather than actual dive? I understand it’s not a perfect solution, but might be an interim solution until (if?) Garmin issues an update. 

• What a great thread. Positive for a change. Can't wait to to dive with the Mk2. I actually find the sleep better on the Descent than the Fenix 6X Solar, I have both and alternate every fortnight, so can appreciate the strengths of both. Really minor differences. Aesthetically I prefer more traditional watch colours so silver, titanium, stainless steel for the case and the bezel, but then I'm a dinosaur so perhaps the youth prefer ominous black.

• Yes, I could start an apnea dive AND remember to set the pool mode every morning, otherwise I get the swim as an apnea dive in my log....

• probably not an option but can you not set a filter on the dive app like you can on garmin connect and say only show items that match these criteria (that is how I get rid of running activities that aren't' real runs (or show them so I can delete them). 

In my case this is a non issue as I don't use the dive log but my wife loves looking at our logs so it would be nice to be able to compare them.

• End of the day chaps. If a one off reaching down for a fin is your biggest issue with the watch with all the awesome stuff it does above and below, I think you’re pretty right to buy one.

If only. :(

• probably not an option but can you not set a filter on the dive app like you can on garmin connect and say only show items that match these criteria (that is how I get rid of running activities that aren't' real runs (or show them so I can delete them). 

It will increment the dive number so even if you delete them, you have to go back through and renumber.

But, yes, the dive log on Garmin Connect or the Garmin Dive app is pretty ordinary so loading them into something like Subsurface is a much better idea and the dive numbers don't matter.